How long are you planning to BF for?

Water_Melon

Reaction score
Are you going to do the 6 months? More? Less?

I found BF REALLY hard up until recently. Most of the pain has gone now thankfully :dance:
The part I find most difficult now is feeding in public. I just can't do it. Sounds stupid I know but I'm terrified people will look or say something.

I was in town the other day. Before I left I made sure my baby was well fed... but ohhhh no.. he screamed the place down when I got to town. Typical. I had to end up going into my OH's work place and feeding in his private. How embarssing! :oooo:

Which is why I can't see myself doing it 6 months or over :( I really wish I didn't care what people thought or if they were to look but I can't seem to help it.
It's actually keeping me away from going out, which I know is really bad for me and my baby.

Any tips to overcome this? :roll:

Oh and I also have a wedding to go to this weekend, and I'm worrying about the feeding situation. I'll have to keep going up to my hotel room to feed instead of enjoying the party :( And then the next day our train isn't due for a long while, which means we'll be out and about it public for a lot of the day... argh!

I have breastfed my baby since she was born (coming up 8 months) and I can count on 1 hand (probably-less than 2 hands definitely) the number of times I have fed in public.

You can work around it if you want to. I express enough each morning for half a feed so I have a feed every 2 days.

I do it when necessary but I plan my time so I don't need to get the girls out when shopping. You don't need to let this put you off because if you are organised enough it can be achieved easily.

Just to add, my LO isn't fed on demand so I know when she will need feeding which obviously helps with this.

Alternatively, you can use a giant muslin/bebe au lait to cover yourself up or plan your trips where there will be rooms to bf in, ie m&s have a room and mamas & papas. Also, I have fed in the car on occasions.

X

My next goal is a year. Don't wanna have to spend on formula if I don't have to.

I found feeding in public got a lot easier the more I did it. First place I did was a bf workshop. Everyone had their boobs out at some point in the hour. So I knew no-one would mind. How do you feel about doing it in front of people. - what about getting a couple of friends round and feeding while chatting - you could ask them if it was noticeable - might help boost confidence that no-one can see anything.

Expressing and taking bottles out with you can be good as well.

Finally don't bother with a cover - IMO it draws more attention.
Xxx

On my iPhone - so cant see tickers :(

Hi hun. Congrats on BFing. I had no idea how long I'd BF for because I had such problems at the beginning that every week I did it seemed like a big milestone. I am still BFing at 5 months and loving it. I thought I'd want to stop at 6 months but now I can't imagine doing that.

I don't have a problem feeding in public, so I can't really suggest anything much. I use a product called a Belle Belly band from a lady on eBay. Here's a link to it:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BELLEBELL...s_Shirts&var=460136745796&hash=item2577ee3579

It's like a bump band so it fits beneath your bra and covers your tummy up so you can wear any top over it and BF in public without exposing much flesh at all. You just pull up your top and only a bit of your boob is exposed. Most people look away politely anyway. I find that wearing a big cardie or a jacket over everything helps to create a side 'wall' if that makes sense.

Sorry I can't help more - I think BF is the most natural thing on earth but I too seek out at least quieter places to feed LO in public, mostly because she's become too active and distractible, though. Have you tried expressing and feeding from a bottle instead? x

I agree with l_maclean; the more you do it the less scary it is. i took ti slow to start with and made sure I was tucked away in the corner of cafes and tried to cover up a bit with a muslin but I'm much more confident now and don;t even think about it. No one has ever given me funny looks or said anything me about feeding in public which I was a little nervous of.

You could also try feeding in front of a mirror at home to build confidence maybe? I found it really reassuring to see just how little is visible to anyone else, no one can see anything at all most of the time.

I'm about to hit 6 months and I'm loving it! I hope to continue until Rory is 1 but I'll be going back to work 3 days a week when he's about 10 months old so I might have to do day time formula feeds then if I can't express enough, I hope I can keep breastfeeding/expressing though, will just have to wait and see I guess.

I'm breast feeding and little one is 7 weeks, I've found it quite hard and don't have the confidence to do it in public either. I have been caught short before and did it in my hubbys car that has darker windows in the back. If i'm going out I take a bottle of expressed milk with me, I feel a bit like you, if I didn't have bottles of expressed milk I think I would shy away from going out (which I know is not good)

I'm hoping to carry on for 3-4 months and see how easy its been and may go to 6 xx

Oh, and just to add, I plan on breastfeeding until she is 1 so I don't have to buy formula.

Also the older they get the less need there is to probably feed in public

I've BF for 7 months an intend to carry on. However since we've started weaning H only has around 4 feeds per day (including first thing and bedtime).

So now he's fine having food whilst out. However I used a bebe au lait cover which I found great and I've done it in most places- shops, cafeteria, park benches!!!

If you're concerned about doing it in public my advice would be to get a cover and practice without at home so you feel confident with it.

I have to say as the weeks go on you will generally feel more confident with bFing in general, as will baby

Latching gets easier (I don't have to do anything now except show Harry the boob and my boys on there!!)

You'll realise that people don't really look- I think we think people are looking cos you know what we're doing iykwim.

I've also never had any comments either good or bad so I figure no one knows my boobs are feeding H!!

when i started my goal was 6 months but i love it now so will prob go to a year, my lo is nearly 8 months and does not feed as often anymore so not too inconvenient when out and about. as tor said you could express when going out but for me it was just a case of jumping in at the deep end, the more you do it the more confidence it will give you, people dont generally notice :) x

Before C was born I said I wanted to BF for six months but now I that BFing is established after a rocky start I am more than happy to BF for a year so I don't have to use formula. I also couldn't see myself feeding in public but that has completely changed.

Like KarenC I have a few of the belly babe band things and I can't recommend them enough. I was so conscious about my belly.

I have been very fortunate that all eight of the ladies in my NCT group BF so at the start there was always at least one other mummy BFing when we were out. None of them used covers either so mine went unused. We have big muslins that I occasionally use if we are in a really exposed place. Normally I feed whilst having a coffee or lunch though.

I also went to our local Baby Cafe, and all mothers were feeding around me which adds to how natural it all is.

Xx

I originally said 4 months but this was due to my health. I have bad lungs and was afraid of having to go on antibiotics for the winter. Wen my consultant said antibiotics wouldn't b necessary I changed this to 6 months. Now this is looking like changing again. This time on LOs say so as he has stopped taking bottles either with my milk or formula.. Am hoping he'll start on bottles again soon, specially with Christmas coming up, and even if I have to express til he's a year if formula remains a no go area I'll be happy.
Given that he's stopped taking bottles feeding in public is the norm now otherwise I'm totally housebound. People don't watch. Most public place was on grass area along sea front at summer fayre.

Using Tapatalk. Can't see tickers.

I breast fed Seren until she was 6 months old. Will do the same with Bethan. I had to breastfees in church on Sunday, that was embarrassing! But it was either that or have a screaming baby during the sermon.

I'm quite lucky, I live in Brighton and it is a tolerant place to live so none really bats an eyelid if you breastfeed in public. What I would say is practice in a mirror at home first so you can work out the best way to get your nips out!

I'm exclusively expressing.

I initially wanted to last the 6 months, now i want to do a year - not sure if I will manage it though

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ARCHIATER
Back