How do u know?

Lilelephant

Reaction score
When LO is ready to be weaned??
I is currently on 7oz every 4 hours but am gonna try him on 8oz soon as he drains the whole bottle lol

I don't want to wean him if he is not ready! As I know they say u can wean from 17 weeks.

6 months is the recommended age to start, however if they are showing signs of wanting food (grabbing at your food, mimicking you eating, not satisfied after their feeds, feeding more, etc) then best to speak to your HV for their advice really.

E went down in her feeds but was trying to grab at our foods and I spoke to our doctor who said to try her on some purees. She had just passed the 4 month mark at that point. I don't give her much but she seems to enjoy it.

Last edited:
Trust your instincts, some babies need it alot sooner than others. My LO wasn't ready at 6 months really, didn't take off with food until 10 months old, but obvs we had to wean him from 6 months.

Our nephew had baby rice introduced to his diet from 9 weeks old, he was draining 9oz after 9oz and screaming for more and when he had the baby rice... only tiny amount, he settled really well. A baby's digestive system really isn't ready for food at that age, but his was ready for it. He is now 10 years old and eats anything and everything and lots of it lol

I would say though maybe try and wait a few more weeks until he is 4 months old, BUT trust yourself, you know your baby hun xxx

We started weaning Jack at 17 weeks, partly because we believed he was ready and partly because he was still only drinking 3oz per feed. He's been a rubbish drinker since birth and milk has never interested him at all. He was absolutley fine at 17 weeks and loves his food now. He still isn't really interested in milk and only really takes 3oz per feed apart from when he's half asleep at bedtime I can get 6oz into him x

Even though it seems like LO is ready...eating hands/anything in sight, trying to grab food ect, thats not actually an indication that they are ready, all babies do that regardless. Its your LO's insides that need to be ready & they advise 6 months as thats when their stomachs are developed enough. If you wean early..4 months you risk allergies & other complications.

Try feeding more often. Offer every 2/3 hours instead of 4, see if that makes a difference. I seem to remember my LO having a growth spurt around 3 months.

xxxxxxxx

Thanks lovely! I don't think o is ready yet as he seems satisfied and I know he will be even more so if I up to 8oz!
I got the weaning guide from cow and gate and they say 6months too. I just wondered what signs etc to look out for incase he requires it early

:)

Im just upping Alice to 8oz every three to four hours and she is only 2 month! And thats Hungry Baby!!! Im not going to have room in my bottles soon! Im giving baby rice at 4 month like it says you can on the packet xx

Hun you do what feels best don't be pushed into waiting until 6 months if you feel he needs it before! I was advised by my Hv to start thinking about weaning at 17 weeks as Stanley was draining an 8oz bottle of hungry milk every 3 hours which was fine but he started not even lasting 3 hours! do what you feel is best. My Hv said although 6 months is the recommended age AT THE MOMENT they do realise that not every baby will be able to last that long without being weaned! X

Sometimes they start waking in the night hungry , when they sleep for long periods normally, (be careful as they can just be waking). Mine alwsys did this as they approached 4 months, so just do what you feel is right.

Worth mentioning, if you fancy BLW then worth hanging out till 6 months, as before then you will have to do traditional weaning (purees etc) and then that really stuffs you a bit for BLW as by 6 months they will already be eating loads , and then them struggling /playing with food when hungry really is hard!

Completely agree with Jaxx. I shall be weaning Phoebe when I think she's ready. Not all babies will be ready as soon as they're 6 months some are ready earlier some even later x

Issac feeds between 7-8oz every 2 hours but i know he isn't ready, he has no hand eye co-ordination and he watches me eat but has no interest in grabbing it from me. Although he Does get excited at the sight of a bottle of a nip lol x

My HV said if baby is heavier than they should be for their age & are drinking a full bottle that is a good sign she recommended me to start Kayden earlier for this reason, but I couldn't coz of the reflux issues.

xxxxxxx

They're all just guidelines at the end of the day, it's hard with your first to read the signs, Oz defo wasn't ready at 6 months, but we had to do it.

'THey' are now recommending that BF babies are weaned from 4 months again, and FF from 6 months. It's crazy.

Soon as another doctor finishes their studies a different age will be recommended.

Just gotta trust your instincts xxx

We'll be weaning D when we think he's ready and I think it'll be at 6months as he is only taking 4oz sometimes 5oz every 3hours and although he watches me eat he's not interested. One of the girls from my NCT is starting soon as her LO drains 8oz every feed and has started picking food off her plate. He also has a problem with gaining weight so she's been advised to wean early. It all depends on the baby so do what's best for you and O hun x

I had to start weaning Sophia early, she was totally ready and I couldn't hold off any longer. She was draining 9oz bottle after bottle and screaming the house down once she'd drained it for more!! She wasn't waking really at night as she has always been a good sleeper but she suddenly became very unsettled during the day and was still unhappy after large milk feeds every 2 hours! She is heavier for her age and she is in 9-12 month clothes at 5 months! My eldest wasn't like this, they are all so different! Sophia is a much happier baby now :)

I think deep down you just know! The whole mothers instinct thing once again! Just like they start sleeping thru/crawling/talking at different ages, they need weaning at different ages too! IMO it's a bit daft to say ALL babies *must* be weaned at 6m, cos babies don't go by text books etc! The guidelines are constantly changing and will constantly change!

K was weaned at 11 weeks, she was a big baby and was literally on my boob every hour for an hour and still grumbling in between that! I spoke to my mw and hv about it and they said the vast majority of babies dot actually make it to 6months! They're all different xx

I'm gonna start giving leo a bit of baby rice on Sat when he's 4 months. I think he is showing all the signs the hv told us. I got the weaning pack of cow and gate too and find that they're kinda going against themselves. They say 6 months but yet they're weaning starter pack is 4-6 months...?

I'm gonna start giving leo a bit of baby rice on Sat when he's 4 months. I think he is showing all the signs the hv told us. I got the weaning pack of cow and gate too and find that they're kinda going against themselves. They say 6 months but yet they're weaning starter pack is 4-6 months...?

Sounds similar to the whole "breast is best" thing, where they cant do promotions or advertise FF coz they recommend BF is better, its the same as this.. waiting til 6 month is healthiest but some ppl do it early & the food manufacturers know this but they aren't allowed to actively advertise for 4 months if that makes sense.

xxxxxxxxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back