How common are false positives?

DollyD

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I'm new here, and a little confused! I did a clear blue digital preg test two days ago and it said 1-2 wks pregnant, this was 2 days before my period was due to start.
I did the second test in the pack the following morning and it said not pregnant.
Today I've done a first response test and there was a very very very feint second line. I also did a clear blue non digital test and that was a definite not pregnant.
I've still not started my period although I now have stomach ache.
Any ideas, it's really stressing me out!??

It is possible to have a false positive, the nurse who saw me when I miscarried told me this. I suppose it's possible that you could have had a chemical pregnancy. Having said that you aren't out til AF arrives, have you been testing with first morning urine? x

Last edited:
Hi
many thanks for your quick response!
3 out of the 4 were done with first morning urine.
What is a chemical pregnancy? (Sorry I'm a bit bamboozled with some of the terms and abbreviations on here :oops: )

a chemical pregnancy is when the egg fertalises but doesnt implant x

Ok, thanks for the explanation! That could explain it. I won't give up hope just yet though!

A chemical pregnancy is the clinical term used for a very early miscarriage. In many cases, the positive pregnancy test was achieved before the woman’s period was due but a miscarrige occured before a heartbeat was able to be seen on an ultrasound.
With the ultra sensitive pregnancy tests on the market today, it is easier than ever to get a positive result 3 or 4 days before your period is due. It is wonderful for those who NEED to know, but does have it’s down side. Early testing shows chemical pregnancies which would not have been detected had the woman waited for her period to arrive.

Sorry to hear you're in this position.
I really hope you get some answers soon. The fact your period is late and you have had a positive test is a good sign.
Good luck xxx

Thanks, must admit I'm really stressed out with it!
I'm going to wait a few days and then do another test. By which time my period will definately be late. Can anyone suggest which tests are perceived to be more accurate?

A chemical pregnancy is the clinical term used for a very early miscarriage. In many cases, the positive pregnancy test was achieved before the woman’s period was due but a miscarrige occured before a heartbeat was able to be seen on an ultrasound.
With the ultra sensitive pregnancy tests on the market today, it is easier than ever to get a positive result 3 or 4 days before your period is due. It is wonderful for those who NEED to know, but does have it’s down side. Early testing shows chemical pregnancies which would not have been detected had the woman waited for her period to arrive.

That's probably thye best explanation I've seen.

I'm in the NEED to know camp. I wanna know even if it doesn't stick.

GL with your testing, I hope AF stays away for you.

Hi, this has happened to me 3 times now. I get a pregnant 1-2 weeks on a digi, then lines gradually fade to nothing and bleed within a few days of my period being due :cry: I will never be testing before AF now, because nothing is more painful than being so elated, and then so devastated within a few days. Good luck hun xxx

Hi folks. I've just started to bleed, so I guess the dream is over for this month! Is this like a mini mis-carriage, do I need to seek medical advice? (although not much chance of that on a BH weekend!)

Sorry love, can I suggest you try to get a doctors appointment just to get yourself checked out xx

Ok I am now completely confused. The bleeding stopped after about an hour. I did a test yesterday - negative. I've done one this morning - pregnant 1-2 weeks. My period is now 3 days late.
What are your opinions please ladies??? I have bad stomach ache, but we're currently having major stress with our neighbour, which isn't helping this roller coaster i'm on :mad:
I really don't know what to do!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back