How bloody hard is it to see a car????

cosmicgirl

Reaction score
I have a little smart car I want to sell. It's in perfect condition and has only done 25k miles.
I had it valued and it's worth 4k so I put it on eBay and Gunter for 3500, thought that was a food price and in line with all the others on there.
I'm getting all kinds of rubbish offers "I'll give you 2k" "I'll give you 2500" etc etc.
This one guy from Gumtree emailed me loads about it, we struck a deal for £3150 which I would accept, then nothing! Completely ignored my emails about arrangements to collect, no explanation, nothing! Why? Not even a "sorry I've changed my mind".
Then I get an best message from what I think is a young lad, offering me £3k so I say ok, I can still afford the car I want if I sell for that, I'm not greedy. I say "I'll let the auction run (there's 25 watchers) and once it ends, if not sold for the asking price I'll get back to you.
The auction ends, the car doesn't sell (what are all these people watching for!!!) and I say "do we have a deal then?".
"Yes" he says "I'll come today with £2800 cash and that's my final offer"
What???? Are you kidding me?????? You said £3k before????
I give up.
Luckily I'm in no way desperate to sell at all but I fear I'm in for another few weeks of this type of thing until it sells.
How hard is it!!
If I like a car, I buy it. If someone emails me, I reply. If I make an offer that is accepted, that's the price I pay, end of.
What is going on????

They could of had the decency to just reply and say "I've changed my mind" time wasters :(
It's always the same when trying to sell something, and It really gets on my nerves you have so many watchers but no bids like you say why bloody watch the item in the first placel. Lol

Fx it sells for a good price soon for you

God I hate eBay for that! I sold a gold bracelet which was 350 new and kept having offers of 50! One lady even said that it was an Xmas present and she had fallen on hard times etc! They have a cheek!
Xxx

Selling anything nowadays seems to attract time wasters & people that want something for nothing. It drives me crackers.

I agree, everyone wants something for nothing and is getting reeeeeally cheeky!
I like a bargain as much as the next person but jeez, don't rip people off! x

Cos selling a car is a nightmare! We have just sold ours and had all the problems u mention. It was on for 16.2 and most ppl were offering 14!!

We were downgrading to pay some debts (and baby no.2 on the way) so needed a half decent price.

Most ppl who call are second hand car salesmen who want to make a big profit!

We eventually sold ours for 15.5. If like us u have time to wait then hold out, u will get a genuine buyer soon xx

Where did my reply go? Lol
I agree, everyone wants something for nothing these days. I like a bargain as much as the next person but I'm not into ripping people off. I've never been a haggler, I generally pay what the person is asking if I want what they are selling. If I'm not happy to pay then I don't enquire iykwim. Maybe I've been missing a trick all this time?? x
Edit - it was there the whole time - now I'm just repeating myself lol

Cos selling a car is a nightmare! We have just sold ours and had all the problems u mention. It was on for 16.2 and most ppl were offering 14!!

We were downgrading to pay some debts (and baby no.2 on the way) so needed a half decent price.

Most ppl who call are second hand car salesmen who want to make a big profit!

We eventually sold ours for 15.5. If like us u have time to wait then hold out, u will get a genuine buyer soon xx

Yes!!
I had a guy offer me a grand less, saying it needs a good few hundred spending on it. It's taxed, MOT'd, had a service last month and is in mint condition, hasn't even done 23000 miles!!!!
I told him to get knotted, check his items for sale - he's a bloody car dealer wanting to rip me off to make the profit for himself!!!!!
That is a shoddy way to do business IMO xx

Could you be cheeky, put it up for a higher price, say £4k and accept a lower price of say £3-£3.5k? Assuming of course that people would offer a higher price if they thought the car was up for more? Hope that makes sense. Good luck selling it!

Cos people certainly do have a cheek! I need to sell my little car on and get something newer but I'm scared of the buying public! Espcially when it comes to cars. Could you not part exchange your car for the one you want? x

I always think you get a bit ripped off when you part ex?? They always offer rock bottom so they can make a profit and I find that you get a better price selling privately. It is scary though, I've had some right weirdo messages!
I've got a very odd person coming to view tomorrow, thank god oh is in! x

People do just want something for nothing for these days, or to make money on it! Sad times.
I am like you. What price it is, it's what I buy it for.
I put my car on Gumtree last year, and wasn't worth my while... So many people were texting. And phoning and all offering like £1000/£2000 less than what I asked! Now a couple of hundred of pounds ok, that's what happens. But £2000!!! Come on...
I ended up just keeping my car. Wouldn't have got as good a car with the money I had.xx

I got that from Gumtree too hun, I also got a person who offered to buy it then ignored my messages to arrange!!! Why?? I have never in my life thought "I think I'll email this random person and pretend to buy their car"! xx

try auto trader as it seems to attract more genuine buyers than ebay does, in saying that if you sell on anywhere put it for more than you want for it ie 4k as people always want to knock you down and get a bargain that way you get a bit more :) x

I've sold it!! Got the money I wanted for it and been to see my new car today!!!

Oh yay!! All worked out in the end then! As for the time wasters I have no idea why they bother with their silly games :roll: x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back