Anyone know legal rights - selling car

becks20

Reaction score
just wanna see if anyone here can give me advice, im waiting on replys from companys but i cant talk atm so i cant phone citizens advice :(

my partner sold his car yesterday privatly to a man who was a dealer, after 4 hours of him having the car he texted my partner saying the car had been in a previous accident and had been resprayed and tht he wanted £600 back or us to take the car back. the log book was sent off straight away when the man purchased it at below its value anyway. As far as we are aware the car hasnt had an accident as we purchased it from vauxhall dealer with clear HPI also the man done HPI check before he purchased. he is now threatening with legal action if we dont give him the £600 back or take the car back. What are our rights?

If the Logbook was sent to the guy, and he himself checked it over with HPI check and then still offered you a price, I doubt he can demand money back...I'd def check with the comapanies and see what they say x

I wouldn't have thought he has any rights - that's the downside for a buyer who's buying privately - once it's done, it's done! That's what I've always thought anyway. Cars bought privately tend to be 'sold as seen', you weren't promising anything else and being a dealer surely he should've known if it'd been resprayed on first viewing?
Also he may be threatening legal action but just remember how much that will actually cost him - to use a solicitor etc would probably end up costing him more than £600 anyway! So it's probably a completely empty threat and he thinks it'll scare you into giving him money.
Stay strong and don't give him anything till you've spoken to someone in the know!! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mara14
Back