Holding own bottle and drinking out a cup.

Hazel

Reaction score
Any tips on how to teach her to drink out a cup or hold her own bottle? I have a cup with a spout and 2 handles and she will hold it and put her mouth to the spout bit but then doesn't get she has to lift it up then gets frustrated. The bottle she puts her hands up to it and holds it for about a millisecond.

Becky has only started holding her own bottle properly now - it was too heavy for her before. We introduced a cup around 5 months I think it was, one of the basic TT sippy ones.

I would just give her it to play with as much as possible, that's what we did and it took a wee while for her to "get" how to use a cup. At the moment she prefers open tumblers but of course slops it everywhere :roll:

I was getting a bit worried as the cups say suitable from 4 months so assumed this was when she should be able to drink from it. She's more interested in waving it around and chewing the bottom of it at the moment. :lol:

No lol... perhaps my LO is a lazy sod but it's only recently she's really been bothered with properly drinking from it. She also didn't understand the ones that have the non-spill valve. She just stuck her mouth on it and thought the water would pour out :lol:

Finlay has only recently been actually drinking out of a cup too. He was more interested in hitting people with it and making a puddle. :lol:

Faith still prefers to water the kitchen rather than drink from hers!
Today she poured all of it into the highchair tray and splashed her hands in it :roll:

She does hold her bottle but not all of the time, she has trouble holding it high enough when she is sitting up but if she is half sitting half laying she likes to feed herself, and spray milk at mummy. And sometimes she cheats by squeezing the teat with her fingers and catching the milk in her mouth...

I actually got given a really good tip on feeding themselves a bottle at the weekend. Use a rolled towel to support the weight of the bottle, and prop it up so its at the right angle.

It works really well...i've been doing it on the feeds where she wants to hold it herself, and shes got loads better over the last couple of days!

Re the cup, spud doesnt use hers either...but i always give it to her with her solids, so she'll make an association if nothing else...Got through 4 different cups but the mam training one is ace!, plus the handles and spouts fit on the exisitng mam bottles so i can carry on using them for drinks too until shes onto a proper cup.

I don't know about drinking out of a cup, perseverance I guess! Ella has only just started taking water properly out of a sippy cup (She refuses to drink milk from one though).

I think 5 months is a bit early to hold her bottle? :think: Ella was 7 months, the months leading up to that I encouraged her by putting her hands on her bottle while she was drinking it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back