Hip and back pain :(

bunnymom1980

Reaction score
I've been getting really bad pain in my hips and lower back, mainly when I'm at work. I've been on nights and they've killed me. I'm hobbling around like a 90 year old! I'm feeling so sorry for myself :(

I saw my GP this morning and she just said it's a combination of softening ligaments, my job and being a bit overweight that causing the pain. She's told me to Self Cert myself off work for the rest of my nights(till end of next week) and go back when I'm on days and see how I go, but she said she'd sign me off longer if I'm no better.

She's also referred me to the physio at my GP practice but it'll be a few weeks before I get seen.

Anyone know anything that might help? I've been taking paracetamol but it barely takes and edge off the pain.

if possible avoid heals (if you were wearing any).

rest when possible
ask for help when needed
Only do as much as you can
avoid standing (if you can) for long periods
try to keep your knees together as much as possible for example getting in and out of the car with your feet together
try not to walk using long strides (or stomping as i learnt)

And good luck!

Sandi

hey :hug: sorry you're getting lots of pain...what do you do for work??

I'm a physio (sorry don't know lots about this area, not my specialty) but cos my job is so active and I lift people all day every day and run around everywhere, I get lots of back pain. I know a big part of it is my job because whilst I've been off sick (unrelated to the back pain) my back pain has been virtually non existent.

Can you modify your work activities? I did that, as part of a risk assessment they did on me. Can you pace yourself more? Can you do lighter duties and see how you get on?

Paracetamol doesn't really do much, and you can't take much else really, so I would say that prevention is the main thing, i.e. modifying what you do, etc.

A bit of time off definitely doesn't hurt either :lol: :hug: :hug:

purplebluered said:
hey :hug: sorry you're getting lots of pain...what do you do for work??

I'm a physio (sorry don't know lots about this area, not my specialty) but cos my job is so active and I lift people all day every day and run around everywhere, I get lots of back pain. I know a big part of it is my job because whilst I've been off sick (unrelated to the back pain) my back pain has been virtually non existent.

Can you modify your work activities? I did that, as part of a risk assessment they did on me. Can you pace yourself more? Can you do lighter duties and see how you get on?

Paracetamol doesn't really do much, and you can't take much else really, so I would say that prevention is the main thing, i.e. modifying what you do, etc.

A bit of time off definitely doesn't hurt either :lol: :hug: :hug:

I'm a nurse, I work in ITU so I'm on my feet the majority of my shift.

I'm going to see how I go when I go back and possibly go see occy health.

I'm off to physio today for what sounds like a similar problem, I'll let you know what they say. My Dr said that resting too much can be a problem too so make sure while your off work that you try and get up and about as much as you can, hopefully you wont seize up! I know that if I have a very busy day and then rest in the evening I cant get up without help from the OH, even trying to get to the loo is difficult. Hope your appointment comes soon

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back