Hip/Back pain

little*red

Reaction score
Ok last night, when i lay down in bed i developed this bad pain and pressure all around my hip, lower back and half way up my spine. It was extremely uncomfortable and fairly painful (but bearable). I've had back/hip pain before but it usually goes away if i move position or roll my hips, but last night it was equally painful in any position. I took paracetamol but it didnt make any difference (it usually does when i get backpain) :( . Oh i forgot to say the pain was only on the right side and my left side felt totally normal. i was contemplating phoning the NHS direct but decided to try and ride it out. the pain lasted for about 2-3 hours, when suddenly it just went and i felt the baby wriggling about.

Sorry I know its making me sound like a total wimp and that it simply just growing pains, but it was totally different to the usual growing/back pains i get.

Has anyone else experienced this? was it just the position the baby was lying in? am i over-reacting or should i maybe inform the midwife if it continues? :? I don't want to waste the midwifes time if its nothing to worry about and something i just have to put up with!

Baby might have been lying on a nerve or something hun.
If it continues id go see the doc or mw, they can give u some pregnancy friendly exercises to do :)
I hope it doesnt happen again and i hope u feel better soon. :hug:
It could also be a bad mattress. your spine is supposed to be dead straight from bum to head when you lay on your side. I get very bad back pains and ive bought a memory foam mattress topper that i used 1st time last night and its made my back feel lovely today! :D Ive also got a tempur pillow for extra neck support its so comfy and really helps my pains ease off! I used to dread going to bed but now i cant wait!! :cheer: :sleep:
:hug: :hug:

Also having two pillows can be a strain on your neck and back. just make sure your spine is straight as well as your neck and it should help any back pain. If your neck is raised (two pillows) it can pull on the bottom of your back and the sides causing awkward sleeping and pains. :)

Thanks Jo :hug:

i know what you mean about the pillows, ive only been sleeping with one pillow for the last few weeks and using the other one for support. hopefully its not the mattress, we just got our bed in april this year (its one of those silent night anti-roll ones) so it should be giving me enough support. Hopefully it won't continue tonight i need my :sleep: ! What we have to go through to have babies eh? why can't the men do it!! :lol:

my friend suffered with this several times her midwife said it was baby position id still check with your midwife just in case.

I know!! Why cant men have pregnancy symptoms??!!
t might not be ur matress then hun if its a decent one, still could be position of bubs like nathanmum said. Just ask mw to have a feel if it carrys on. Have u got one of them bump suport pillows? A normal pillow should be good enough but u might need the extra support?

just had a midwife appointment the other day and totally harrassed her with all my aches and pains (just to check i was ok) as i hadnt seen her since week 16, so i'll have to phone her if it gets worse as i wont see her again until 32 weeks, as i just get my 28week check up when i go to the hospital for my anti-d injection.
I'll look into getting one of those support pillows as my pillows arnt long enough and the OH can no longer suffice as reliable support anymore, apparently i make him too hot, cheeky bugger :lol: !

Aww bless him!
I hope it gets better soon hun, if u dont wanna bug ur mw too early on, try your gp and they might refer u to physio (if it gets bad)
Let me know how u get on with a support pillow coz i may need one to later on when i get bigger!! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvi.H.
Back