He's finally found his thumb!

star fish

Reaction score
He put it in his mouth and sucked it for 5 mins!

Ive been watching him trying every finger combination for weeks now and not getting any joy, he wont take a dummy and i think this is why he is struggling to self soothe as he just loves to have something in his mouth (that creates a seal). He would stay on the breast day and night if i let him, sometimes i have to put a knuckle or my little finger in his mouth to calm him. So Im thrilled if he sucks his thumb

I just have to hope that he can find it again now!

Pic!!!
Lily likes sucking her finger but I take it out and give her her dummy instead, we aren't big on thumb sucking.. If that's the only way he can settle without the breast then it's a good thing for you all! :D

Hmmm, sorry if I sound negative but if my LO was sucking its hand I would do everything to introduce a pacifier? You can take away a pacifier but not a thumb ifykwim. My cousin is now 15 and still sucks her thumb, has umerous dental problems because of that and she is ashamed to sleep over friends house or with her boyfriend:shock: habits are hard to brake. Give a second thought to that.
Sorry again if I sounded so negative, it's really only sth for you to think

everyones kinda raining on your parade a bit here. its great that your thrilled, but maybe worth thinking about a dummy instead.

like hope said, when its time to wean off, dummys can go to santa, or the dummy fairy (pr just in the bin) - but a thumb is a lot harder.

Ive given G one already cos she was getting the thumb bit right too much. xxx

I think that babies who suck their thumbs are cute, harry is a thumb sucker but then he would suck anything I think!! Lol!!
xx

I hope my post didn't seem negative as it wasn't intended.. Dummy's are much easier to wean off.. My great uncle was 75 still sucking his thumb..
She's already said he wont take a dummy.. I'd suggest keep trying the dummy every now and then but for now if it gives you a break and helps him self settle then go for it! :hug:

I love the fact my Tyler doesn't have or wont take a dummy I hate them. He does suck his hand but I'm not too worried he's a baby there are many things I did as a baby I no longer do.

Woops, clearly I don't read properly. Didn't see the but about him not wanting a dummy till I read JM's second post. Xxx

i know of people that sucked their thumbs for years but not all, from your other posts star it sounds like you need somethiing to soothe him, i'd be as pleased as punch if it works xx

Whatever works for you is great! Well done baby Jasper xx

Def a pic please! I sucked my thumb and look how great I turned out ;) xxx

If it helps soothe him then that's great hun, whatever it takes eh x

Awww I think babies who suck their thumbs are so cute! Caleb found his thumb at 10 days old and got such a lovely photo of him! It's up on the wall in the mounting box with his hand and foot casts from the same day. He's not big on thumb sucking though, he did it another time and I cried because he looked so cute, apart from that he's only done it a handful of times. He's more of a dummy baby... xx

Leandro sucks his thumb and looks so adorable. Im gonna let him carry on till he can get more distracted with toys etc. He dont like dummies either and is a lot more content during the day for it x x x

Thanks girls for the advice. He really doesnt like a dummy. He is struggling now to find his thumb again so a pic might be a bit optimistic for a whil,e.

I take your points on board but i was a thumb sucker, from about 10 seconds after birth, and gave it up when i started school. I've known tons of kids who suck their thumbs but none of them do it as adults. Yes, I did have a brace in my teens but so did about 80% of my class, I suppose because we are all keen to have perfect straight teeth these days.

Think it's 50/50 with thumb sucking but it's totally your choice babe and if he won't take a dummy he needs to self soothe somehow! Can always try a dummy again every now and then it is defo easier to wean them off the dummy, but if he won't take it he won't take it! I wouldnt take Lily's (or Ellie's) blanket off them coz I don't like blanket babies.. But they are born that way and it gets them to self soothe! Do what it takes to give yourself some sanity lol!

Post a piccie when u manage to get one :D

Tegen totally refused a dummy (secrelty pleased as I personally don't like them) then found her thumb now at 16 months she hardly ever sucks her thumb so not all children do it for years xx

Sent from my GT-S5830 using Tapatalk

Phoebe doesn't do either :/ she won't take a dummy and only really sucks her fist when teething x

How about giving LO a little blanket or a bit of cloth. My Lo has never taken a dummy or sucked his thumb. He has a little toweling flannel, (he actually has three, so they can be washed) aka sheety. He rubs it round his face, puts it in his mouth. He only has it for naps and night-times. We introduced it at around 2 months xxxxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ARCHIATER
Back