Help!

Maria1977

Reaction score
Oscar will not eat lumpy food. I don't know what to do. All the HVs are saying he needs to progress because stage 1 is mostly water (is this even true? lol) but he won't eat any lumps.

Finger foods were going ok but he's started either swallowing a massive bit and bringing it up, or just gagging on a tiny bit and bringing up whatever is in his stomach and this is happening alllll the time. He used to be fine with rice cakes, but today he slightly gagged on a bit and brought up the contents of his stomach. It's starting to get distressing for both of us now.

I tried him on a stage 2 jar just now and while he's happy to play with the food and get hardly anything in his mouth, he won't let me feed it to him and the 3 tasters he did have from me he was wretching so much his eyes were streaming.

I just don't know what to doooooooooooo.

Anyone with advice or similar experience pleeeeease help me lol

Aww hun :hugs: don't really know what to suggest but didn't want to read and run cos you must be so worried!

What's he like with things that dissolve as soon as they're in the mouth, like biscotti? Just wondering whether he's actually gagging on bits of food or if he's caught on to your worries and is playing on it (babies are v sneaky!) x

Thanks for replying Becky.

He was fine with biscotti, altho he had an organix rusky thing last week, ate most of it then gagged a bit and threw it all up.

I was fine with the finger foods, had no worries but it's just since he's being so sick that it's stressing me and him out now.

Also, I tried him on a stage 2 jar week before last and he swallowed the mouthful without chewing, got pasta stuck in his throat so I had to hold him upside down and hit his back to get it out. That was not a good day!

Oh how awful chick,,,, This is gonna be a random comparison. At the moment LO is gagging and being sick every time i try to brush his teeth, soooo i have been using my finger for the last three days (no gagging or being sick).....gonna do this for bit longer, then hopefully he may have gotten over the tooth brush phobia when i try with the brush again. So maybe you could not do any stage two foods for a week and get him back into enjoying his food and then try again. Just an idea chick xxx

Have you tried the stage 2 ellas kitchen pouches? They're textured but not lumpy. Might be a good transition food xx

i used fresh veg from the begining and when amelia was moving on i used a potatoe masher instead of blender and even though it was lumpy they were really soft so we had no gagging x

I agree the Ellas kitchen stage 2 are very smoooth as we all got a box of free ones from the HV run baby group and they are way too smooth for Devon, and were not where I want to be yet with food.

I make my food , (except these freebies) and also use a mashing spoon (in a set from tesco), which smashes up anything. We actually did a stage 1 and a half inbetween, I moved from hand blender (stage 1) to using a tiny mini chopper thing and stopped it at the thickness I wanted. Devon is now happily eating food that I mash or chop up with knife and fork (small chopped mind), and so making the stages less of a jump seemed to work fokr us

Don't forget there is no hurry, let him take it at his pace, as long as the food is nutritious then all good

I had to mash stage two jars as they seemed really lumpy to me. Asda do their own stage two pouches which are cheaper than ellas kitchen xx

Thanks for all your replies.

I've tried the ellas stage 2 pouches and although he will have a few more mouthfuls than stage 2 jars, he still won't eat them and gags even though it's mashed. I'm not too worried about the gagging coz I know it's normal, it's just the being so sick with it that is upsetting both of us now, because sometimes it's alot of sick!

He was weighed yesterday though and he has gone up to the 91st centile, was born on the 75th and dropped to the 50th and is now up to the 91st so all that water in the stage 1 jars must be doing something lol

He is having stage 1 everyday still but I will keep offering him other stuff so that when he is ready he'll get there, but I'm not going to force him like the HVs want because I don't want him to have food issues

He's had 2 rice cakes today and been fine with them so that's good. One this afternoon he stuffed a massive bit in his mouth and was fine so I'm sure he'll get there when he's ready and I should just follow his lead and stop worrying I guess.

Gonna go asda and stock up on their pouches though, the ellas ones are so expensive!

Thanks again all

xxxxxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DreamRapeVic
Back