heartburn...

scandicmum85

Reaction score
I suffer so badly from heartburn, i take gaviscon or what they are called but not helping much, only gives me a relief for 10 mins... What else can I do, I eat balanced diet etc.. .. Driving me craaazy!

I feel for u I had this too ended up eating fruit tums all the time! Baby had lots of hair so old wives tale nut be true! Now he is here its totally gone! So all good not long for u x

I dont think there is much you can do as it is the valve relaxing, I eat Rennie, cant stand Gaviscon. It helps for a bit but then comes back

Contact your docs they will give you gaviscon which is stronger and works better mine gave me 6 bottles to last me 3 months x

I also suffer really bad with it but I have a hiatus hernea (cant spell) so have acid indigestion 24/7 before pregnancy, Im on medication for it but now Im pregnant its worse so my normal Omeprazole medication isnt working, so Im drinking pints of cold milk, seems to help a bit... Stay away from acidic things like fruit vingery things... also fried food, eating late arent good, and try not to lay down after eating... I think teas and coffees arent good either... Once last thing, try and eat little often, keeps the over active acid busy, lol and stops ur tummy from being too full....
I hope this helps and u get some relief...
Siany1982

I got omeprazole from the docs and it's really helped, I only need to take 1 every couple of days xx

I suffered from acid reflux before i got pregnant and got horrific heartburn in my first trimester and found myself going through a 500ml bottle of Gaviscon a week, but it blissfully went away during my second. And then it returned for the third with vengeance, so much so that i was waking at night with mouthfuls of stomach acid! YUCK!

One of the things i was given before i was pregnant was a proton pump inhibitor (PPI) which suppresses acid production, thus reducing heartburn and acid reflux. When it returned in my third, i was so miserable with it, i started researching via google whether i could take some of the PPI's i had leftover.

The upshot was, i found 1 particular one, Omeprazole, that has had limited testing in pregnancy but from what testing has been done seems to be safe during pregnancy. I spoke to my GP who said that provided that i was aware that it wasn't fully tested and i was well into my third trimester that he was happy for me to try it and see how i got on. He gave me the lowest dosage available and said 1 to 2 per day but i've just been taking 1 every other day or so, as i don't want to put my little one at more risk than necessary, but the dosage i've been taken is working a treat. I'm not heartburn free, but that's purely because i frequently forget to take it as i'm heartburn free at the time I'm supposed to remember!

Its actually the best PPI i've ever taken, and i usually find that heartburn starts to disappear within a few hours of taking a capsule so it seems to be pretty fast working too. I realise that as its not fully tested a lot of people wouldn't want to even try, but i was at my wits end and decided, for us anyway, that the benefit outweighed the risks. My mum had an equivalent when she was pregnant with me and my brothers and none of us have any problems other than inherited heartburn! If you get really desperate, it may be worth doing some research into it yourself and maybe having a chat with your GP if you decide you'd like to try it, some will let you (like mine, who is great) but others won't.

I honestly can't recommend it enough, but i do understand a lot of people would be hesitant or refuse outright

I've got Omeprazole tablets too and it really helps. I also only need one everys 3-4 days so just taking them when it gets really unbearable but they give me days of relief. might be worth asking the doctor about them.

I get it so bad every night makes me physically sick...I just don't eat at least 5 hours before bed and drink lots of milk ...get through 2 pints a day ...don't eat fatty foods and I find horlicks is pretyy good before bed to settle it ..feel for you! x

you can also get ranitiadine (think the spelling is right) tablets from your gp/mw and just saw that they also sell them in a much lower dose in sainsburys! hope it eases for you soon though x

I've been getting really bad heartburn / rising acid. Have tried tablets and gaviscon and the only thing that worked for me was a glass of milk.

I usually only have milk on cereal or in tea as I'm not really keen but it's worth downing a glass to get rid of it!

I've been getting really bad heartburn / rising acid. Have tried tablets and gaviscon and the only thing that worked for me was a glass of milk.

I usually only have milk on cereal or in tea as I'm not really keen but it's worth downing a glass to get rid of it!

I dont normally like milk but have been craving it like mad, like pints of the stuff every day... Cravendale only tho... lol Really does help with the acid tho....
Siany1982

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back