Killer Heartburn

happy-chick

Reaction score
I have permenent heartburn & gaviscon just aint doing a thing, ive been to see my GP but they wont give me anything as said there's nothing I can safely have apart from gaviscon grrrr

I have it all day everyday, been avoiding bread and acidic stuff but still get it constantly. Its waking me up 3-4 times a night and its driving me mad. Ive tried sleeping well proped up etc but doesnt help.

I have tried milk which helps for about 30 seconds, melon which I havent found to do much and gaviscon which works for about 2mins lol

Does anyone know of anything else that I can try? :pray:

I've had heartburn since day 1 of finding out i was pregnant, first sign lol and i've had it since. Its horrible i throw up sometimes because of it. I live off gaviscon. Only the aniseed one though, the white one tastes like ass and doesnt do a thing for me. which one have you tried? i was eatin ice cubes last night at 5 am as a last resort to having no gaviscon.
if this baby aint hairy momma aint gona be happy! lmao :wall:

The only thing i can think of is yogurt. I had a look on google and it suggests papaya.

I went to see my doctor and he gave a prescription coz i cant take gaviscon, mine was getting that bad I was bringing up sick in my throat :puke:

in hospital I was given an antacid which really did work, the over the counter name is zantac, I am now on this daily, check first but hopefully if they are allowing me it you will be able to take it too and its excellent, gaviscon and others didnt work for me either :pray:

Well I threw up in my sleep last night... somehow I managed to roll over on to my back and well... didn't notice until I was sick... :roll: :x :x :x

My heartburn has gotten a lot worse... the antacid stuff I have is rather crappy too... it's called Almax but is basically the same stuff as Gaviscon...

I can only suggest that you just keep drinking the gaviscon... I know it has dosages on the bottle, but I was drinking nearly a bottle a day with Tia and she was ok... she wasn't born with three noses or anything wild.

I've tried milky drinks, yogurt, melon.. and while they were all right when I was around 20+ weeks pregnant... the past few weeks its gotten much worse to the point I'm in constant pain with it... feels like my chest and arms are on fire.. I've mentioned it to my GP, MW and consultant... but they can't give me anything stronger than Omanzopol (sp???) which quite frankly doesn't work for pregnancy related heartburn... :roll: not in my case...

Don't worry hun... we only have a few weeks left and in the mean time, just drink milk drinks, water and gaviscon... and avoid any acidic foods... :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: It literally vanishes after the baby is born...

i have taken zantac and omeprazole, ask your doctor about them.. they arnt harmfull..

The doctor looked up omeprozole & zantac is the little book they have and said that they are not suitable in pregnancy so wouldnt give then to me :roll: its seriously driving me mad.

I can feel the acid ready to come out and make me sick its horrible :( looks like im just gunna have to suffer cos my doctor is evil!!! :twisted:

To be honest I think shes just very over cautious, shes not my usual GP as he's on holiday but its taken me 3 visits to get her to give me something stronger than painkiller for my SPD and that took alot of persuading!!! Does she not understand how painful it is :shock:

I think i'll hang on til monday and go and see my usual GP and see what he says, its just a big pain in the bum getting up there as its not exactly close so I kinda avoid if i can lol.

Will let u know what he says on Monday if I can get an appointment,

lisa&alex said:
hmmm.. scares me when drs say things that arnt true! :S

http://medguides.medicines.org.uk/docum ... =pregnancy

omeprazole ^ ive used this quite a bit. and it helps to stop your stomach producing acid... print it out n take it to ur gp jo..

http://medguides.medicines.org.uk/docum ... =pregnancy < rantadine (i have stomach ulcers.. so wouldnt take it unless dr said it was safe to..

Lisa's right... it's not that they aren't safe just they haven't been approved for use during pregnancy because its unethical to perform drug trials on pregnant women... Thing is the only reason why Lisa and I have been given things like Omeprazole is because we have pre-existing conditions. I don't take my omeprazole because its generally for the heart burn associated with stomach ulcers, and well the hb I have atm isn't caused by that, and they aren't working... but a consultant gastrologist and obgyn have both agreed that the above mentioned drugs haven't shown any severe side effects in unborn babies beyond 26+ weeks. :)

I would definitely see you usual GP because I often have trouble getting my repeat prescriptions for my Crohn's meds if I see a different GP because they are "Dangerous" during pregnancy.. they're not.. but some docs can be really cautious...

Hiya Jo :wave:

I had this with tia really really bad and it was making me physically sick

I was on omeprazole before i fell pregnant and was told to stop it as soon as i found out as it can cause problems

The thing that i found that helped me 100% is those minty rennie soft chews, I got through packets and packets of them (about a packet and a half a day) and they are safe to use while pregnant.

Try them hun they were worth their weight in gold!!!! :hug: :hug:

Ive bought some of the Rennies so will see how i go on :) thanks girls!

Hi Jo

I've always suffered with heartburn but even moreso in pregnancy. I've got thru bottles of gaviscon and that never seemed to work, i tried every antacid i could think of, went to the doc and asked for something stronger as i couldn't cope anymore and nothing else was working, she prescribed ma ranitidine, free on prescription or very cheap at tesco's if you get their own make. I used to take one morning and one evening rather than 2 each morning, that way it seemed to keep it more on an even keel but was hell if i missed one. I've taken it thru 3 pregnancies and each one was fine.

B4 i fell pregnant this time i was on lanszaprazole, when i got my bfp i asked the doc if it was ok to still take, she looked it up in her little book and said that it was not recommended in pregnancy but omeprazole was so i have been taking that all this pregnancy.

The odd occasion i get a bit so i take either the remegel or rennie chewy tabs (the crunchie ones don't work) I also asked at one point if i could take an extra tab;et now and then as one night it was so bad i took one just to ease it and she said its ok to but only now and then.

I'd go back and see another doctor as some will prescribe and others wont, tell them you know of a LOT of people on stuff and you can't take it anymore.

Also when your bump 'drops' you will feel a lttle better then too, and try in the meantime not to wear anything too tight around your waist.

I'll never forget my 1st labour, i was on the bed, gas and air in one hand, bottle of gaviscon in the other and a nasel spray (my nose was so blocked and i can't cope not being able to breath) on the cabinet by the bed :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: ....the minute baby was born i didn't need any of it :D

when I asked the doctor about rennies he told me there not advisable during pregnancy. :roll:

paiges_mummy said:
I went to see my doctor and he gave a prescription coz i cant take gaviscon, mine was getting that bad I was bringing up sick in my throat :puke:

eww same here :doh:

its gross isnt it!

paiges_mummy said:
when I asked the doctor about rennies he told me there not advisable during pregnancy. :roll:

:shock:

i had those a bout a week ago!!! i had like 2 or 3 in the week cos my heartburn was makin me feel sick!!

r they bad????

mommytori said:
paiges_mummy said:

i had those a bout a week ago!!! i had like 2 or 3 in the week cos my heartburn was makin me feel sick!!

r they bad????

It says on the packet they are safe to have in pregnancy & during BF so cant see them being bad for ya :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back