Healthy eating ideas

I eat much like Carnat does, only I've lapsed a bit during pregnancy :shock:

Nearly everything we eat is home made from fresh produce, we don't do takeaways except for maybe fish and chips a few times a year. We eat meat only a 2-3 times a week and try to eat lots of high fibre foods that are also good sources of protein, like lentils and beans, and wholemeal instead of white. I like to batch make lots of a healthy dish for the freezer, such as a three bean chilli with veg and lentils, or sometimes I'll make it with extra lean beef mince and veg. Serve with brown rice and a little bit of grated cheese. Things like burgers, curries, pizza are only home made. There are a lot of things you can eat and make them healthier just by cooking them yourself, reducing salt, choosing lower fat meat, cutting out that extra bit of butter that cheffy types might finish a risotto with, or choosing wholemeal etc.

We were given a Tefal Actifry as a gift and only have chips made using that, which is low fat. You can also do potato wedges in the oven. Just cut up some potatoes, and mix them with a drop of oil and a load of spices and dried herbs, such as smoked paprika, chilli powder, cumin, ground coriander, oregano, cinnamon, a drop of soy sauce or worcestershire sauce is nice, plus salt and black pepper... and roast in the oven for 30 mins or more, depending on how thick you cut your tatties. Tonight, I'm making veggie burgers with sweet potato, a bit of light halloumi and lots of veggies. Hungry already.

That said, I'm not an angel. I have a weakness for crisps so they are on the menu nearly every lunchtime, and I can't resist a little something sweet with a cup of tea. Dessert features most nights, but usually in the form of a low fat yoghurt rather than bad stuff.

Anyway. Enough waffling. I was lucky not to be sick during tri1 so ate nearly normally. x

Just reading this is making me dribble.

Some yummy ideas in here, I'm going to try ther veggie burgers and sweet potato sounds amazing. I love halloumi kebabs with aubergine, sun dried tomato, basil and homemade pesto - I didnt realise we could eat it, :yay: I'm off to get some (will check its pasterised)
xx

Amy try to stay away from flaxseed while pregnant. Too much conflicted advice about it. I devised to stop it all together.

Veggie burgers are yummy.... And sweet potato mash with cumin!! I am going to try and have some tonight, didn't work last week so FX!

Hope you find some hallomi xx

Last edited:
Yay kk it's nice to find a fellow clean eater :hugs:
Really hope? I read it was really good whilst pregnant that's why I have kept it in my diet I must do a little more research.
I'm ok food wise at the mo and hoping I don't get morning sickness as the only thing I can actually eat when I do get it is oranges. X
O

I've also read that flaxseed should be avoided in pregnancy. That's why I get extra omega 3 from fish oil. Sounds like you're eating fish regularly though so probably shouldn't need it. I would eat more as I love it but OH doesn't so it makes cooking difficult! That's a reason we rarely have meat-free meals too....he can hardly cope without meat

Amy flaxseed contains phytoestrogens, after lots of discussion with my gynecologist and some common medical sense we decided (some research says that too) that it may disturbe the hormonal balance leading to mc. Estrogens are not the main pregnancy hormone, progesterone is much more important.
Anyway the whole flax seed are not really digested and MAY be safe to consume but I would stay away from the flaxmeal or crushed seeds or flax oil.
I think mayo clinic has a topic that explains why we should better stay away from flaxseed and soya during pregnancy.

I will just cut it out thanks Hun I didn't know that at all xxxxx

Update. The burgers were pretty amazing. They were made from mashed sweet potato and potato, mashed peas, grated carrot, courgette and halloumi, with spring onions softened in a pan with smoked paprika and cumin, then mixed together with an egg, a handful of breadcrumbs and seasoning. The recipe was from the Innocent cookbook, 'Hungry'. Very yummy with a bit of salad, ketchup and hot pepper sauce. We made enough for three meals, so the others are now in the freezer for those tired days. x

I'm a veggie, so I am so aware of trying to get all the goodness from foods other than meat. However I do eat fish. The one and only time I was sick with this pregnancy was while I was preparing a mackerel salad, so it's been a long time trying to eat any fish again!
One fishy thing I did enjoy this week was something I used to make regularly and it doesnt taste like fish... Cook salmon fillet in oven with nice seasoning (spicy/interesting), boil (easy cook) brown rice, and chop any and every vegetable you enjoy and saute in a frying pan - I usually add onions, peppers, baby corn, mangetout, courgette, carrot, and frozen chopped spinach. but you can add anything as long as its chopped up small. I like this dish to be spicy so add any sauces or marinades you like, or go for a chinese type version and add soya sauce. Then flake up your salmon after it has cooked and mix everything toget in the frying pan - rice and all!
There you have it - spicy-fishy-healthy-rice !! Tasty and easy to eat with salad, pitta breads, hummous/tsiki (or other dips)....anything!!

xxx

I love love love hummus! Especially with jacket potato!! Philadelphia (particularly the one with chives in it) with carrot and cucumber to dip in it is gorgeous too!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back