Health Visitor.. *Updated*

babyem

Reaction score
So the health visitor is the one who is going to arrange our after care for the CONI scheme. They're the ones who provide us with the sleep apnoea monitor. Well, she turned up unannounced to my MILs... I've not been living there in agess, changed my address a while ago. So yet another week and not managed to speak to them!!

And to make things worse, the consultant at my last appointment said he didn't know wether I'd be eligible, when since even before I was pregnant we have been told we are!! I've not told anybody this yet and it's really knocked me. Of course I was worried before, but now I know that if they refuse I will be awake all night, I won't sleep. I've been getting upset and panicky about this for a couple of weeks. I know that it won't save her life, but should anything happen, at least it gives me a warning and I can try. As long as I can try..

SIL is fuming and she was told when she was pregnant that we'd get it, so has offered to come with me next time. I'm assuming consultant was wrong, as I don't think HV would have tried to come to my house otherwise. I should also be able to have infant basic life support training for me, OH and other family members.

Sorry, just needed to vent. I worried abit before, but now I'm petrified. I can't take any risks, I'd hate myself forever if anything happened. I love her so much, I don't know what I'd do if... well I don't want to say.

:cry:

Last edited:
I can't even imagine what is gong through your mind Em, I'm almost in tears just at the thought.

Definitley follow it up, don't let them forget you. Not sure why the consultant contradicted what has been previously said to you but I often find that people that are unsure offer no guarantee just to cover their backs. If you have been told you are eligible for the scheme since before being pregnant thatpn stick to this and if needs be, go back to that person. Also the HV coming is a good sign. I know it's scared you but it sounds like some unfortunate events today, who can you contact on Monday?

xxx

Last edited:
I can't even imagine what is gong through your mind Em, I'm almost in tears just at the thought.

Definitley follow it up, don't let them forget you. Not sure why the consultant contradicted what has been previously said to you but I often find that people that are unsure offer no guarantee just to cover their backs. If you have been told you are eligible for the scheme since before being pregnant thatpn stick to this and if needs be, go back to that person. Also the HV coming is a good sign. I know it's scared you but it sounds like some unfortunate events today, who can you contact on Monday?

xxx

I'm trying not to let it bother me and put on a front, but I'm terrified. Thats what SIL said, not to let them fob me off. I don't know why he said it, so I'm just praying he's wrong, I'm waiting to hear back off the HV again now and will ask MW again at my next appointment. xx

Sadly there are a lot of people in sensitive jobs that get things wrong causing distress. I'm gutted that you had to go through this but have every confidence your MW will assist you in getting what you need. Completely understandable why you are feeling the way you do but the fact the HV came shows you are on their radar.

xxx

Just wanted to show some support, didnt want to read and run What an awful situation you're in. I hope everything goes ok for you and lo. Def fight for everything you feel you need. Big hugs xxx

Sadly there are a lot of people in sensitive jobs that get things wrong causing distress. I'm gutted that you had to go through this but have every confidence your MW will assist you in getting what you need. Completely understandable why you are feeling the way you do but the fact the HV came shows you are on their radar.

xxx

Thank you Tara :) I'm sure he didn't mean to but it really upset me and scared me. The HV turned up at my MILs, so obviously has an old address on my notes or they haven't been updated since I changed it, so have to get in touch with her tomorrow and hopefully will get somewhere with it! xx

Just wanted to show some support, didnt want to read and run What an awful situation you're in. I hope everything goes ok for you and lo. Def fight for everything you feel you need. Big hugs xxx

Thank you, this means a lot to me :) I have done alot of research and I should be more than entitled to it, so just going to keep pushing for it with the info I have found. SIL has offered to come along and fight my corner too if need be, as she will no doubt worry just as much. Plus my mum, as she wants me to have extra tests etc to make sure there's no risk of any type of virus or infection that could harm LO as this was mentioned when my sister was stillborn as a possible cause, although none was ever found. xxx

:hugs:Keep us posted hon. Sending you lots of positive vibes, they will see you right. Am sure of it!

xx

Your going to have to be strong, and stamp your feet and make sure you get the help and support your entitled to.
I think the fact the health visitor has tried to visit you is a good sign tho... Try and get in touch with her.xx

Finally got hold of her!!

She's coming to our house on Friday at 4pm!!

FINALLY!!! Progress!!! xx

That's good!!! Hope you get some answers :) at least your getting a visit xx

I hope so! She knows I'm aware of the scheme so going to go into more detail with it and go from there.
x

I hope so! She knows I'm aware of the scheme so going to go into more detail with it and go from there.
x

Suppose things like this is just one step at a time, but she will realise you know what you want and you won't be fobbed off!! Hope she is very helpful tho! And you don't need any dramas to get the extra help!xxz

I'm so sorry you have been left to worry :-( I know it's not the same as support from a scheme but when my little boy was born prematurely in 2003 I was sent home with an apnoea monitor... When the paediatrician decided he no longer needed it and I had to hand it back i was so paranoid that I hired one privately... I can't remember the name I the place but I'm sure your HV would know? I'm sorry I know it's not the same I just wanted to give you an option.

Lots of hugs xxx

So all went very well with the health visitor :)

She came round on Friday afternoon and spent about an hour or so with us going through everything and having a good chat. She went through what the CONI plus scheme is and all the different aspects of it. There was a lot to take in and focus on, but we have been given information for us to both read about the scheme and keeping a baby safe :)

So, we told her we definately want to be signed onto the scheme, so she will be back on the 15th August to give us all the relevant documents and the sleep apnoea monitor. As part of the scheme we receive alot of extra support and care for LO, including:

-Sleep apnoea monitor
-Room thermometer
-Growth chart specific to gender for baby and with alot narrower margins for growth
-A symptoms diary, so that any symptoms/behaviour can be recorded and be looked at by the HV
-Scoring book to score any symptoms we may be concerned about and to give us an idication as to wether baby is ill or not
-Instead of the normal red baby book, we get a more detailed one
-All babys notes are labelled and made clear that they are on the scheme
-Care passport, so say if we go on holiday, the card is kept at front of HV notes and allows LO to be seen by a paediatrician in A+E not just any doctor in case of emergencies
-Direct referrals, so we would have direct access to paediatrics ward and referals straight from GP to the ward
-Care under a paediatrician
-Weekly HV visits for the first month or two
-Life support classes for both me and OH, as well as any chosen family members

There may be more but I can't remember right now. I feel alot more confident and less anxious about things knowing we have this support system in place. I spoke to HV about the stillbirth of my older sister and have to talk to consultant about it on tuesday, as there were a couple of reasons mentioned at the time which may have contributed to it, so may be able to have a few tests or extra care to rule anything out before the birth.

Everything seems alot more positive now, just so relieved to finally know we will be getting the support we need xxx

Last edited:
Fantastic news :) I'm so pleased that you are able to feel less anxious now and really enjoy those first few precious weeks and months! :)

That's great news! Sounds like an excellent scheme they have in place. Fingers crossed you will never need to use it, but it's good to have the support and knowledge xxx

Got LOs sleep apnoea monitor today and all the other things we need :)

Feel a little less anxious now, but still very nervous :( x

That's good you have got them already! Will give you a chance to see how they work!xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back