Health Suite

russellmuscle

Reaction score
Helloooo

So Im going to aquanatal soon and I wonder if Id be allowed to go into the health suite after?

I dont use the sauna, i hate the dry heat but I find a nice 15min jaccuzi, steam room with menthol crystals for 5-10 mins and a cold shower super relaxing. Then I lay about n chill.

I read the sauna isnt advised before 12w due to the temp affecting babys development but not sure about the steam room and jacuzzi.

I understand sometimes the heat might get a bit much but I imagine Id be conscious enough to know when Im too hot and sit outside..

Whats your thoughts? Ofcourse Ill run it by MW at my next appt but just putting out the feelers to see if anyone has used the steamroom and jacuzzi safely? Ofcourse if its too dangerous I wouldnt but the steamroom I visit isnt much more steamier than my bathroom :lol:

Many thanks :D

xxxx

I won a spa weekend through work when I was just pregnant with my son and sod's law I couldn't use most of the facilities. What I read highly advised not doing anything that raised your core temperature - so steam room and jacuzzi were definitely out. I don't know if the advice has changed since then though?

Drat.

Its so conflicting though because I take warm baths warmer than the steamroom and again the jacuzzi isnt burning hot.

I get the sauna because that is ridiculously warm but I hate that. I hate being too warm. So guess wouldnt be sitting in there until I was overheating as I get uncomfy and come out anyway.

The steamroom for me was just a wee 5-10 min sit down as the crystals helped me unclog and this time round Im clogged every other week!!

I just seen the nice nights and thought a lovely steam and bubble would sort me after work and aquanatal. Plus so I wasnt just getting wet for an hour and home..

Sounds lazy but Id finish work at 5, then home change, a train and 10min walk each way to the gym for aquanatal so I guess also wanted to make better time and get a nice relax when Im done.

Meh, never mind if its not allowed I can do without and buy a face steamer. Just such a lovely thought as we enter spring.

Thanks for answering lovely :)

xxxx

Last edited:
I use the steam room at the gym still. There's a sign not to use it when pregnant as it may cause ill effects for the mother. I've used it for years, I know my limits, I go in for 5 mins, come out and cool down slowly them go back in for 5 to properly relax me. I think as long as you have your wits about you you'd be fine. Imagine all the pregnant women in hot humid countries! I wouldn't do the sauna though, I don't really like them and I find they send me a bit funny even when not pregnant. Maybe they affect you more.
There's also a sign on the jacuzzi and it's colder than the swimming pool so I don't get how that's dangerous at all! Xxx

Yeah, that was my theory Kitty.

I figured if I feel too hot I can leave. Im sure ths nhs just says dont use them before 12w because of babys development but ofcourse some people would perhaps be none the wiser using them sometimes. I dont feel pregnant at 12w now so I imagine quite alot use them, just wanted to check opinions on it.

The sauna is awful, so sweaty warm, I know thats true there are hotter countries too.

I guess I wanted to check before checking with MW and being shot into 1000 tiny pieces :lol:

xxxx

I take a bottle of cold water in with me so I stay cool but it still works it's magic on my pores :)
I didn't even think to ask midwife tbh! For the sake of 5-10 minutes, I can take or leave it.
Yeah really don't like the sauna, I don't feel clean in there! And there's always men in there grunting...
Let us know what the midwife says if you ask! Always good to get a professional opinion xxx

It's our 2nd wedding anniversary next week and I've booked a hotel specifically with a jacuzzi, sauna ect - some may disagree but that jacuzzi is MINE. I think minimal time spent would be absolutely fine, personally. It's down to body temp so don't spend long in there - it also seems it's regarded as "unsafe" in Tri1

Last edited:
I was always told that jacuzzi is a no go when pregnant.

It's our 2nd wedding anniversary next week and I've booked a hotel specifically with a jacuzzi, sauna ect - some may disagree but that jacuzzi is MINE. I think minimal time spent would be absolutely fine, personally. It's down to body temp so don't spend long in there - it also seems it's regarded as "unsafe" in Tri1

Congratulations enjoy your spa you deserve it, careful you dont bring on contractions in the jacuzzi :rofl: just kidding.

Oh yeah I wasnt considering it from now, I can start aquanatal and yoga at13 14 weeks.

Cheers love, Ill do some reading on the specifics. If its temp issue I dont think itll be a huge issue surely? My baths are hotter than both the steam room and sauna ...

I imagine alot of places dont allow pregnant ladies for insurance purposes?

Ill do some proper reading.

xxxx

I take a bottle of cold water in with me so I stay cool but it still works it's magic on my pores :)
I didn't even think to ask midwife tbh! For the sake of 5-10 minutes, I can take or leave it.
Yeah really don't like the sauna, I don't feel clean in there! And there's always men in there grunting...
Let us know what the midwife says if you ask! Always good to get a professional opinion xxx

I would always check if its something like heavily debated.. But usually Id just weigh up safety.

I dont theyd allow me in with a huge bump anyway if pregnant ladies arent allowed.

Yes its crap they stopped doing ladies and mens night here, which is rubbish because I much prefer to chill around women than big sweaty men, sexist much :lol:

xxxx

I was always told that jacuzzi is a no go when pregnant.

Thanks love, Im gonna do some proper reading and check with the MW.

I did think it was a no go, but I guess it doesnt seem super unsafe but I havent read much into it.

Only seen on the nhs it wasnt advised before 12w due to temp and fetal development.

xxxx

According to NHS its a enter at your own risk kinda thing. Basically your not able to lose heat the same so your core body temp rises. More prone to dehydration or fainting.

It says theres little research too. Also gives water temps so I could always ring and ask how warm the jacuzzi is. It kinda feels on the warmer side of luke warm. Its not like a proper steamy hot tub.

www.nhs.uk/chq/Pages/2402.aspx?CategoryID=54

xxxx

Take a bath thermometer with you to check the temp xx

I don't go near jacuzzis after reading up on them being breeding grounds for bacteria and germs. It was a few years ago so things might have changed but it was enough to creep me out!

Also heard you should avoid them when pregnant and anything that raises your core temp including baths that are too hot so I've been having my baths a little cooler than I'd normally enjoy.

Your MW is your best bet x

I've cooled down my baths since being pregnant, but it's still pretty warm, and I still imagine a jacuzzi would be far cooler than an average bath, do you think?

I thought they were hotter but I'm not one to try them out so can't speak from recent experience. I guess it varies between venues too x

I've found jacuzzis to be cold (like colder than the swimming pool in a gym) but hot tubs are nice and toasty xxx

Yeah my jacuzzi is just all bubble and probably a bit warmer than the baby pool or something. Its not steamy or anything.

Ill see how I go perhaps. I doubt theyll let me in with a huge belly anyway, so its not something I could keep up throughout pregnancy.

Thanks for all your comments girls :)

xxxx

Going to have to do some Jacuzzi research myself - we have two night in Prague coming up and the room has one! I'd love to use it with my partner... I bet it's so soothing on the old spd... lol
Guess I too will be questioning mw!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back