• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

have a quick question or 2!

grace

Reaction score
went to see my midwife for the first time today and luckily she is really nice and was very helpful as this is my first pregnancy and stuff. i just wondered, forgot to ask her, she took my wee sample and put a stick thing in it to check for infection. she said it was clear, im jusat wondering what it checks for? as well as a urinary infection does it check for std's too or will i get that test later in the pregnancy?

im 14 weeks and worrying about everything possible! normal i know.

also, how do i get a ticker? i tried before but it drove me mad and i gave up!

hope everyone is feeling well.xxxxxxx

Hiya :wave:

To get a ticker, go to www.baby-gaga.com or www.lafemmebonita.com, pick your ticker and paste BB Code into signature box in your profile.

As for wee test, I dont think it tests for STD's, I think its the sugar level but not certain :think:

Usually, the urine is tested for protein, where a positive result can indicate urinary infection and/or pre-eclampsia. Although urine can be tested for sugar using a dipstick, this method is unreliable during pregnancy as some sugar can escape into the urine even if you aren't diabetic.

As far as I'm aware, the tests for STDs are conducted using a blood sample.

in my pregnancy booklet it says its a test for protein, sugar and your first urine sample will be tested for stds as well as bloods, they may also have checked wen u send sample for pregnancy test, mine did! xxxxxx

yeah i think they check stds through bloods. if i remember right, i had a letter for my results luckily they were all clear but i was shocked to see hiv/aids and all the other stds on there, id never even thought about aids before, so it was a relief to be clear from it :)

The MW would have told you straight away if there was any problem with your urine :)

Try not to worry about the other tests. They'll be done as routine and you'll be told if there's any problems. No news is good news :)

Mummytobe you should have been asked to confirm you were happy for them to test for Hiv and HepC etc.

Grace they tend to do the blood tests around 15 or 16 weeks when they test for downs and check your blood group and type they also then draw bloods for HIV, HepC and Syphlis these are optional tests you don't have to agree to having them and by law they have to ask your permission before testing.

thanks for your replies eveyone, you have set my mind at rest. she did say that she was checking for infection as well though and then she said it was nice and clear. surely it would have picked it up? its chlamydia im worried about, i just have an awful feeling. maybe im just being paranoid. i went for swabs a year ago anfd they told me to go back to the docs when i called for my results but something happened and i never got back there. ive been back since though and they never said anything, also they surely would have sent me a letter if there was ap problem then?

Hi Grace,

your first lot of bloods that you ever had in the pregnancy should have been tested for stds/aids/etc. I had mine at about 9 weeks but I think they can be as late as 12 weeks depending on when your booking in appointment or first scan is.

If you're 14 weeks and you haven't had any blood taken you should probably phone up and make the GPs aware of this.

K.xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joshatflare
Back