Has baby stopped developing at 5 weeks - will I miscarry? - Looking for re-assurance!

Ser19

Reaction score
Hi All,

I wondered if anyone could give me any advice or has been in a similar situation themselves.

I believe I am 8/9 weeks pregnant (don't have exact dates but believe my last period was 21st October).

Due to complications in previous pregnancy (termination due to Edwards syndrome), I had an early scan yesterday.

They had to do an internal scan which showed a fetal pole measuring 4mm which they say is about 5 weeks pregnant. I explained how that is unlikely as I had my bfp on 24th November, so would have only been about 1 week pregnant. She then said that the sac was measuring 23mm. Apparently everyone's sac can be different, however, this is larger than average. They couldn't find a heartbeat but said this isn't a concern as I am only 5 weeks.

I have a scan next Wednesday to see whether the fetal pole has grown at all, and whether there is a heartbeat. I have been told to prepare for the worse, and it is highly likely the baby stopped developing at 5 weeks.

Has anyone been through the same thing?? Currently trying to prepare for the high chance of a misscarriage, but have that tiny bit of hope that there will be growth by next week!

Last edited:
Sorry to hear that. I don't have any experience of this so will just say I've got my fingers crossed for you that all is ok. Xx

Thank you, M1chelle, that means a lot. A long week ahead but keeping my fingers crossed!

Hi Ser, so sorry you're having this worry! I haven't experienced this myself (i have had an 8 week MC where they thought baby hadn't developed past 5/6 weeks, but I only found this out when I started bleeding, rather than through a scan so I already knew I'd lost it if that makes sense). However if you go a bit further down the thread list there's a post that a user called Blisa started called '6 week reassurance scan' and i'm sure she had something similar where baby was measuring smaller than it should be and everything turned out fine.

I would say it's quite a big difference between what you're measuring and how many weeks pregnant you think you are so I don't want to give false hope. Have the hospital offered to measure HCG levels? Maybe ring and ask if they can do that as this may give you a quicker indication than a scan. Wishing you all the luck in the world xxx

Last edited:
Hi Ser. I had an early reassurance scan due to a bleed, and I had worked my own dates out, so was expecting to be at least round 6-7 weeks, when I had one done they seen a sac (also internal) nothing else was visible at all, which scared me so much.
They asked me to come back in 2 weeks, said I could just be a bit earlier although it doesn't put your mind at ease at all I know. 2 weeks later I had a little bean with a heartbeat, I'm now nearly 15 weeks and all has been fine, hoping it stays this way!
But the sac they seen in my first scan measured quite large too! The thing is you may have ovulated later than you think. As well as that in early pregnancy beans take their own time to grow! Yours may just be a bit shy, I have my fingers totally crossed all is fine! Hoping you'll go next week and be pleasantly surprised as I was! Take care and if you can try not to.get yourself into a state, although I know it's virtually impossible especially if you've been through heartache before. Keep us updated hun! Xx

Blisa

How much did you bleed when you had the early scan? Did you have pain too?

Hey, it wasn't bright red but was quite fresh when I wiped & I had period like pain, my first 12 weeks felt like I was going to get a period.
Hope everything's ok for you x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back