Had or are going to have an elective c-section?.. I need some advice please

sophs85

Reaction score
I have a condition in my legs, Hip dysplasia and patella tracking disorder. basically my joints can pop out of joint if I turn or move in the wrong position (yes VERY painful) my consultant said they might think about refuring me for an elective c-section as I would not be able to be in stirrups or have my legs pulled back because of my joints.

The thought of a c-section has never crossed my mind and now it has been offered I'm a bit worried if I have one I will feel like a complete failure because I would't have experienced labour.And also I'm not sure what's more scary? the thought of Labour and child birth or a c-section???

anyone else had this to deal with?? :( xxx

I would say given your condition a c section would be best and doctors will have your interests at heart. x

God you wouldn't be a failure!! I'd go with the docs advice because it sounds like it will be super painful for you xx

Whether you give birth vaginally or by c-section you're still delivering a beautiful new life into the world!!! That is definitely not failure!!!

With your condition I'd certainly go with the doctors advice :)

I have had 2 "norma"l births and one elective section and each one was hard but very rewarding at the end i had my healthy happy baby and a healthy happy mummy xx

My c section was a great experience and would def have another. Congrats and good luck xx

I have a rectal prolapse (only mild and easy to cope with as I've had it since as long as i can remember) and am worried that labour could damage it and lead to me needing reparative surgery.

I'm petrified at the thought of that. But also worried at the thought of C-Section recovery.

I'm going to see what the professionals think. But I think overall a C Section is going to cause me less medical issues in the long run. So in a strange way that's what I'm hoping for.

My recovery wasnt even half bad and I'm 41. I was able to walk to nearby shops with a pram within the week, stayed in hospital for 48hrs after. Take all the pain relief offered even if you feel you don't need it. I took Orimorphe every 2 hrs in hospital. The day after the op I was in the shower lifting my legs up on the sink shaving my legs. I made myself mobile the day after so I could go home. The worst thing for me was 5 weeks after when the sub cutaneous nerves were healing I felt pin pricks in my tummy which was weird but not excruciating. The first 20 hrs after I had a catheter was great not having to go to the loo every 5 mins lol x

Last edited:
Vikki that sounds like a really positive c-section story, thanks. I'm also concerned about possibly needing a c-section (for a number of reasons, including severe SPD and a notoriously breech baby) but that's really alleviated a lot of my concerns, particularly recovery times. Obviously I wouldn't be planning on doing too much too soon but it's good to know recovery rates can be positive. Thank you :) xx

My baby was breech, so I had a planned c-section.

Whilst, it wasn't what I had my heart set on, it was a positive experience. Had issues at all, scar healed fine and was out with pram after couple of weeks. Took all the pain relief offered afterwards.

Don't be scared. And don't ever feel like a failure. You have carried your baby and nurtured him/ her throughout your pregnancy and forever more. Xxx

Yes at first when i was told it was possible i;d have a c section i felt a failure but i got over that and knew that i was doing the best for my baby by unsuring he was delevered the safest way (he was breech)
so how could i feel a failure for doing what was best and safest for him?? :)

you will be fine i was petrified of the thought of a section but it wasnt that bad honest. the section itself was fine and quick :)

Firstly, in NO WAY will you be a failure!!! You have to cope with what sounds to be a very painful and difficult condition. You have cooked a baby for 9 months, which I'm sure hasn't been easy given you're condition. It's whats best for yours and LOs health, you have to look after them afterwards so if c-section means you will be able to get back to normal quicker and easier then so be it.

I have no experience with c-sections, but wanted you to know you will not be a failure!!
:hug: xxx

Thanks ladies, I really want a water birth because it helps with my joints but I might have to take up Take the c section if offered because you can't garentee a pool will be free. The thought of a c section petrefies me!! X

I had an emergency but I will be having an elective next time. I found it very calm (they play the radio in theatre) and the staff were really reassuring and lovely. As for the recovery, I was up and about quicker than some of the girls that had bad vaginal births. Just make sure you c section your house, we used the table as a changing table so I didn't have to bend and ditched our Moses basket (with no stand) and just used the buggy so I could wheel it around. The only downside for me is that I live in a first floor flat so I couldn't actually get the buggy down the stairs do maybe invest in a sling. Good luck!

I wanted a natural water birth but I ended up with a c section. I only got to experience early labour, and still have no idea what full blown labour or pushing feels like. It doesn't make me feel like a failure, but it does make me feel a bit strange that I have a baby but don't know what proper labour feels like!

As for the C section, I actually enjoyed it, there was music in the back ground, and I knew that within a few minutes I'd be meeting my baby! We were team yellow, so when they held him up, my husband told me we had a boy. We were both so emotional, it was a lovely experience. Obviously there is pain afterwards, but honestly, it's nowhere near what I expected. I was up the next day and in the shower, and was also pretty mobile. I stated in for 3 nights due to my blood pressure but my husband was with me 24/7.

4 weeks on and, apart from VERY mild tenderness, I would never have known I'd been cut open! The scar is neat and low down.

In all honesty, I'm scared of having a natural birth next time! The C section was so much better than I thought it would be! Just remember that once baby is here, you won't care how he/she got here. :) xx

Hey Hun. Just wanted to say I'm having an elective c section and it's never crossed my mind about being a failure. They way I see it is this baby must come out and it's what's best for mummy and baby that matters. Not what society thinks or shames u into thinking. I wanted control, calm, pain free birth and I'm positively aware that it s a major operation, but it's what I want. I have chronic fatigue and although it's not one of the main reasons for the elective, it is a contributing factor. U will have put a hard 9 months slog in and dealt with a painful condition so I really think you should let the experts do what's best for you both and trust them to know what's best.

Wishing you lots of luck. Xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back