Elective C Section Experiences Please!

Jaidy

Reaction score
I have been told today by my consultant that I may have to have an elective C Section.

I have a few questions I wanted to ask, would you ladies with experience mind answering them?? I have a sickness phobia, thats why some of the questions are a little weird!!

I have had a natural labour before, which wasnt the greatest experience, just trying to make sense of the different sort of pain I may experience, and getting my head round the recovery.

*Did the section make you feel sick/be sick and did any of the drugs make you ill that they gave you afterwards?

*How long did you experience pain after the op, and on a scale of 1-10 how bad was it?

*How well did you bond with your baby?

*When did you get to hold your baby, i.e. how soon after the baby was out?

*How soon were you up and about and walking?

*If you have any other children (I do) how did you cope after?

Anything else you want to add will be much appreciated. :D

i had a section with my son 3 years ago not by choice though i went right through labour to pushing when they took me for an emergency section, i was knocked out as i was only on gas and air from what i can remember after waking up after was i felt very tired didn't feel to much pain as i was doped up on morphine its good stuff :D but i had a few complications i lost alot of blood and had to have a transfusion. As to how quick u will get to hold the baby will be after they've finished with you i.e sewing you up lol. It is a painful thing as its a major op i wouldn't do it again out of choice but then we all handle pain differently i'm a wimp lol

It took me 6 weeks to get back on my normal self as i was really drained due to the transfusion i was put on iron tablets and to top it off i caught an infection whilst i was back home. It took me a long time to bond with my son i was feeling so low and i had no energy it was really hard for me as i had so much love to give him i actually think i suffered with slight depression but i wouldn't change a thing. He's now 3 and got such a character to him.

Hi I have had 2 elective sections and an emergency section!

*Did the section make you feel sick/be sick and did any of the drugs make you ill that they gave you afterwards? - I was sick during my 1st elective section, but this was due to the table being tilted by a nurse when the anaesthatist(sp) told them not to. I was sick after my last section because my blood pressure dropped after the op, so I would say it was down to the drugs as I know epidurals can make your blood pressure drop.

*How long did you experience pain after the op, and on a scale of 1-10 how bad was it? - The pain was managed quite well, compared to my last section 14 years ago this one was a doddle, once the epidural wore off I was able to manage the pain with normal painkillers. I stil have a bit of pain now in my tummy, but that is because the muscles take longer to heal

*How well did you bond with your baby? - I dont feel that having a section made any difference to bonding with any of my babies, My first daughter was in special care and we were apart for 3 days, but we still bonded when she came back to my bedside.

*When did you get to hold your baby, i.e. how soon after the baby was out? - I had skin to skin contact with George after they did the inital checks, they even left him tucked in the hospital trolley while I was wheeled back to the ward after the op. If I wanted to hold him in the first few hours there were lots of people on hand to pass him to me.

How soon were you up and about and walking? - I was up out of bed 6 hours after the op, I walked to the loo and back. This was totally different to my last section, where you didnt get out of bed until the next day. I felt much better for being mobile and up and about.

If you have any other children (I do) how did you cope after? - My older children are both teenagers so they have been a great help, I dont think it would have been too bad though even if they had been younger. I tended to get tired at the end of the day and that was when I felt the after effects, but I am also putting that down to me being an older Mum :D

As long as you dont try and do too much in the first few days after the op you will be fine :hug:

I replied to your other post on c -sections...here are my answers to your specific c-section Q's...

Did the section make you feel sick/be sick and did any of the drugs make you ill that they gave you afterwards?

NOT AT ALL

*How long did you experience pain after the op, and on a scale of 1-10 how bad was it?

NO PAIN IMMEDIATELY AFTER
NEXT DAY I WAS A BIT TENDER AND NEEDED A HAND GETTING UP/MOVING AROUND (PAIN WAS ABOUT 4/10 WHEN MOVING)
OVER NEXT FEW WEEKS PAIN WAS ABOUT 5/10 WHEN MOVING AROUND/GETTING UP WITHOUT SUPPORT....

THEN AGAIN, I HAD BAD SPD THROUGHOUT MY PREGNANCY AND THAT WAS FAR WORSE AND CRIPPLING THAN C-SECTION RECOVERY PAINS!

PERFECTLY WELL. IT WAS SUCH A PEACEFUL, NO STRESS, CALM EXPERIENCE. HAVING BABY IN MY ARMS, BEING TOTALLY ALERT (NO DRUGS MAKING ME DIZZY) AND FEELING NO PAIN (FROM ANAESTHETIC) WAS BRILLIANT!

AS SOON AS BABY WAS OUT THEY SHOWED HIM TO ME. THEN CLEANED HIM UP. DID THEIR BABY CHECKS AND BROUGHT HIM TO ME. THEN I WAS TAKEN TO A RECOVERY ROOM, WHERE OH, BABY AND I COULD JUST CHILL OUT AND BOND.

THE NEXT DAY I WALKED WITH ASSISTANCE TO HAVE A SHOWER. AFTER THAT I WOULD WALK AROUND MY BED/BABY COT WHEN SEEING TO BABY'S NEEDS BUT I HAD TO TAKE IT SLOW AND STEADY.

I HAD 0 CHILDREN...SO IT WAS EASIER FOR ME. BUT I SHALL BE HAVING A C SECTION HOPEFULLY WITH MY SECOND BABY DUE IN JUNE AND WILL HAVE TO DEAL WITH RECOVERY FROM C-SECTION PLUS LOOKING AFTER A TODDLER. HOWEVER, I HAVE MY FOLKS/EXTENDED FAMILY ON HAND 24/7 FOR HELP/SUPPORT WITH MY TODDLER, THE NEW BABY AND ME.

Did the section make you feel sick/be sick and did any of the drugs make you ill that they gave you afterwards?
Im afraid to say I was sick during the c-section, although any type of anaesthetic makes me really ill. As soon as I felt sick I told them and was given an anti-sickness drug immediately which took less than 2 mins to work, and then I felt fine again!

It wasnt half as bad as I thought, I was off serious pain killers within a week, walking within 12 hours, and was out shopping and meeting friends for lunch within 2 weeks! Its still a little sore now and you just have to be careful not to overdo things, as its the internal bits that need to heal the most!!!

Bonded very well with my baby, and was breastfeeding within an hour in the recovery room, I couldnt hold my baby initially as was shaking due to the spinal block, but my hubby held him on my shoulder so I could have a cuddle!

When did you get to hold your baby, i.e. how soon after the baby was out?
Took less than 10 mins to get baby out, it then took them about 40 mins to sew me back up, after he was checked over he was given to my husband, who held him close to me!

Within 12 hours

I dont have other children, but you are told not to lift anything heavier than your baby for at least 6-8 weeks afterwards, so you may find picking up a toddler a no go

Anything else you want to add will be much appreciated.
Yes pack huge knickers, the belly warming ones........and make sure they are a couple of sizes bigger than normal, if you are prone to constipation, then pack some laxatives/lactulose for after the operation, for me the constipation afterwards was worse than the operation (they handle your bowels during the operation which can make them very sluggish).
I also took my own CD to play in the operating theatre which helped me relax a little.
Make sure they give you a clip on cot when you get moved to the ward.
Pack more nighties than PJ's for comfort - PJ's might dig into your wound!

Feel free to PM me if you have any other questions/concerns

Here you are hun, read my elective section birth story - oh and beware of the graphic pics at the end lol

viewtopic.php?f=60&t=65549

Don't be scared, it's not as bad as you might think. I had a very positive experience. (Twice actually)

Oh and regarding your fear of being sick, while I was having my section, I started to feel a bit sicky and queezy, so I mentioned it to the anaesthatist (sp) straight away and they administered a drug to make me feel completely normal again with a minute or so. I wasn't sick at all. Not during or after. There are things that can help you, so don't let it trouble you.

The other thing to remember is make sure you think about what you want during and after the section. Write it all down and don't be afraid to ask. This is a special time for you, so make it the best experience you can.

Good luck chick :hug: :hug:

Hiya

I've had two elective sections now and they were both quite different experiences.

*Did the section make you feel sick/be sick and did any of the drugs make you ill that they gave you afterwards?
With both sections I experienced no sickness, but with the first section they gave me morphine which made me halloucinate (sp!), cos of this I didn't want morphine with my second section.

With my both sections I came out of hospital on the 3rd day and was quite uncomfortable on the drive home, (take a wrapped up towel/cushion for the journey home and place over your wound so the seatbelt doesn't dig in. With my first section I was given loads of pain relief and with my second I managed with no pain relief on the evening of the op.

First section it took a little longer than I expected, I think this was due to the drugs I was on. WIth my second section I had no problem bonding.

As soon as both my daughters were born they were brought over for me to see by my partner, they both then went to the maternity ward, I went to recovery and an hour later I got to hold my daughter(s).

With my first section, I was up and walking on the evening of the op (I really struggled to walk and needed assistance and was hunched over). With my second section I was up and walking the same afternoon with no assistance needed and I was walking upright (the midwives said they were amazed by how well I was doing)

As I knew I was having a section I tried to prepare my daughter by encouraging her to walk rather than be carried by me and to sit next to me rather than on my lap all the time. The thing I found hardest was not being able to pick her up when she wanted a cuddle. I overdid it a bit and was picking her up sooner than I should have.

Overall my recovery was quite different with each section. With the first my wound healed really quickly, but physically the recovery was slower, with my second section, the wound took a lot longer to heal (I had hymatoma (sp?)), but physically I recovered quicker.

Hope this helps. :)

*Did the section make you feel sick/be sick and did any of the drugs make you ill that they gave you afterwards? I felt sick during surgery so they gave me an antisickness drug but upon getting back to the ward I was sick :(

#The scar hurt for about a week after op, if you take all the drugs then the pain is not too bad and does get better.

my experience was affected by the fact that my baby was early and went to SCBU if I'm honest I didn't bond aswel with B as I did with Emma but then again this time I'm suffering from PND.

Got to hold B straight away with DH's help.

about 30 mins obviously was painful though and needed help to stay steady.

It's not as bad as I thought it would be you have good an dbad days but usually not too bad :D
Good luck :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:
BTW with my first I had an emergency c-section and that was totally different.

Hey hun :wave:
I haven't had an elective but have had an emergency and I'm guessing the affects afterwards aren't much different!

I felt like I was going to be sick but I wasn't actually sick. They did give me an anti-sickness drug though and it kicked in pretty much straight away. They inject you in your thigh so if you felt sick I'm sure you could ask for it especialy if you tell them about your fear :hug:

The first week was probably the hardest and then after that it was much easier. I'd probably rate the pain about 7 but its not unbearable, nothing compared to labour!

Perfectly! Obviously I couldn't hold her straight away but OH sat with me while he was holding her and I was able to hold her hand and stroke her face and now we are as strong as ever and unseperable (sp?)!

She was born at 09:07am but I didn't get to hold her until 3pm. I had complications due to my womb not contracting properly so I lost 4 pnts of blood and had a transfusion which is why I couldn't hold her for ages, I imagine you will be able to hold LO as soon as the anestetic has worn off.

Next morning

Amber is my first baby so can't answer this one!

Don't worry, you'll be fine, its quite straight forward and nothing to worry about. Talk to the doctors about your fears, they will understand and will be able to help you. Good luck! :hug:

Jaidy said:
I wasnt sick at all! Not during the spinal block, not afterwards, never.

1-4 ! Well, the first 10 hours you are still after spinal + they give you painkillers so there is no pain at all. The when I had to get up next morning it was around 4 (and not really painful, but REALLY REALLY uncomfortable) and then it was about 2 for about next few days. So, not bad at all for me.

I dont think there is any connection with c-section how you bond with your baby. Im not gonna go into details, I had some issues but it would have happened no matter what birth Ive had had.

When he was out they showed him straight away, then my DH was watching how they cleaned him and was holding him within 2 minutes (I was able to hold him straight after I was out of the theatre. My OH was there all the time and I could touch Dan all the time too.)

Next morning (I had c-section at 2pm, next morning they made me get up at 9am)

No other children, so dont know

My c-section was most wonderful experience, the stuff was superb and I never regret having it!
I was able to breastfeed straight away, there was almoust no pain, the scar healed great (i was actually told quite a few times that my scar is neatest they've seen).

I did feel sick during the procedure (emergency section) but had already had gas and air and pethedine during my 20 hours of labour. I told the doc i was feeling sick and they gave me an anti sickness injection and it went away instantly.

How long did you experience pain after the op, and on a scale of 1-10 how bad was it?

I'll be honest..the pain for me was awful (labour was far easier) HOWEVER.. my medication was messed up and i was only taking parecetamol! I was then given Tramadol which eased it. Definately ask for Tramadol or Morphine.

How well did you bond with your baby?

I had no problems with this whatsoever. I had Ollie put on my chest straight afterwards and then we started breastfeeding asap.

When did you get to hold your baby, i.e. how soon after the baby was out?

as above.. pretty much straight away.. they then held him whilst they wheeled me to the room.

How soon were you up and about and walking?

For me it was about 3 or 4 days as i had an inflamed bladder and was on a catheter for 4 days.

If you have any other children (I do) how did you cope after?

N/A

Anything else you want to add will be much appreciated.

All i would like to say is be prepared for your milk to come in slightly later.. if you are breastfeeding get plenty of help. Oh and when you hit the 6 week mark you will be pretty much back to normal so if you are in quite a bit of pain for a while it wont last forever!

my first was emerncay i wasin labour 29 housr she got stuck cannot tell you anything about that i was knockecd out and was ill for 2 weeks after my second, she was born at 30 weeks lots of probs did i feel sick yes was i sick yes and i was very ill after when i got home took me weeks to get better plus did not bond well with her, 3rd 35 weeks same again felt sick was sick pain was so bad, wad ok after about 8 weeks with her, not everyone is the same i just get ill when i am pregnant, my sister had to have 1 with her second she was fine dont worry to much they can give you tablets to stop you being sick hope this helps

About an hour or so after I was back on the ward, I felt sick. I stopped myself from vomiting cos the pain in the wound was bad with wretching but I nearly vomited a few times over a period of about an hour then it settled.

I stopped the stronger painkillers (Diclofenac) at about 10 days, but I hadn't been in pain since the second day. I don't really remember much pain at all apart from the odd twinge when I got up or strained my tummy accidently. I can't say what scale it was cos it was just the odd sharp pain that didn't last.

I think very well :)

After about 10 minutes as my partner held one of the twins first whilst I got stitched up. The other twin went straight to high dependency as they were born at 34 weeks with an elective section due to growth issues.

24 hours later I insisted they tale out the catheter so I could go down to Neo Natal intensive care to see my other little boy. I went in a wheelchair but I could walk very slowly.

The section was a very good experience for me. I am glad now that I wasn't able to be induced and have a vaginal delivery as the recovery from this has been very quick and easy.

Good luck :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back