Growth scan head meausring large 33 wks - any advice, please help!

keepontrying

Reaction score
I had a growth scan yesterday at 33 wk + 3, after this i went to see my consultant.

I have had a constant uti / kidney infection and am currently on my 8th course of tablets!

Our plan a few weeks back was 40 week sweep, 31 week induction.

However this has drasticaly changed, i was sent for a steroid shot (second one being given today) told that i would now need to visit teh hospital 3 times per week to see consultant and have fetal monitoring done, that i must take immediate action and pay particular attention to fetal movements, they spoke about admitting me too, said that aim for delivery by 37 week!!!! :shock:

My consultant wants to scan teh bay himself to check him over , why i dont know as this was supposed to be our last one, but he is away at conferences next week so its in 2 weeks time.

When i got home i looked at the meaurements from teh scan and i noticed that his HC was at teh very top end of teh scale and his BPD is off the top end of scale.... i looked it up and this can be a sign of fluid on the brain - are they not telling me something? do they not want to worry me until a diagnosis can be made?

Im in a real state, im beside myself!

Please anyone with experience of any of this please please help me, i want info i need it, im teh sort of perosn that thinks knowledge is power and i cant simply switch off and say 'dont be sily everything will be ok' i need to know ineed to plan!!

Sorry I'm not of much help in answering your post...I've never heard of this or known anyone to go through anything similar, I hope some other ladies on here can give you a bit more. I hope someone sheds a bit more light for you soon!
The only thing I can try and advise at this very moment is to try your absolute best not to worry and stress yourself out as you are not aware of anything yet to need to be.
All the best, take it easy!! xxx

Hi hun my baby boy was diagnosed with fluid on the brain, it was diagnosed at our 20 week scan.. But surely if it was fluid they would have to tell you at the scan? I would ring your consultant and ask him to explain whats wrong, you have a right to know.. X

Ring up and ask it to be explained to you......but stop googling!!!!!! I think what you are talking about is called hydracephalus, and it's incredibly rare. Get it from the horses mouth hunny not from the scare mongering internet.

:hug: Try to keep your chin up until you know what's going on xxxxxxxxxx

i have called him but he is very vague! Im just up in the air in general, split with my partner, my grandad is at deaths door and im struggling with just about functioning.. let alone with this on top of it all! x

thanks ladies x

:hug:

Maybe try to see your midwife and ask her for advice or your gp. They might get on the consultant's case and tell him to stop being a twat. Being vague is all well and good when it's not him crapping himself over it.

Feel free to pm me if you need me hun xxxxxxxxxx

dont google, google is evil!!! my babys heads BPD is off the scale too, i have growth scans every 4 weeks for something completely different, and they have never ever said its a problem!! all theyve said is ohhh so which parent does he get his chunky head from!! so try and stay calm, they should have told you more but just think if it was an emergency you wouldnt have been let home

hope this may make you a little bit calmer, happy to get my measurements out if you want to compare xxxxxxx

Seriously don't panic...I know easier said than done...but if they tout something was wrong they would have explained it to you...they check all of the head size and stuff at the 20week check. I have fluid on the brain (mild) so I made sure they checked that it was measuring big but still in normal range. I assume yours is on the top line too...which is the higher end of "average"

dont google, google is evil!!! my babys heads BPD is off the scale too, i have growth scans every 4 weeks for something completely different, and they have never ever said its a problem!! all theyve said is ohhh so which parent does he get his chunky head from!! so try and stay calm, they should have told you more but just think if it was an emergency you wouldnt have been let home

hope this may make you a little bit calmer, happy to get my measurements out if you want to compare xxxxxxx

Thank you for this, would you mind giving me your measurements. I am exhausted with panic!!

xx

yeah no problem......

so at 28 weeks: BPD 77mm and HC: 274.1mm

32 weeks: BPD 91mm and HC 316.4mm

34 weeks: BPD 95mm and HC 323.3mm.

ALL the BPDs are off the scale and one of the HCs is off the scale

are your measurements similar?? xxxxxxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics