Going off pets when pregnant

muppetmummy

Reaction score
Has anyone else sort of gone off their pet whilst pregnant?

We have a ginger tom cat and normally although he gets hair everywhere, walks cat litter all over the kitchen floor etc, it doesn't bother me too much.

Since being pregnant I don't like him near me, and when I see him walking on the kitchen work tops, or lounging around licking his bits it drives me nuts. I don't know why, his very presence winds me up and I don't like him being around. I can't stop thinking about all the germs and stuff he's spreading around!

I feel really horrible cos I love him normally :(

Has anyone experienced this?

noooo! i love my kitty and depsite advice, i cant bear to shut her out of the bedroom. I cant sleep without her!! (cant sleep with her either tho cos she wakes us up all the time!)

I'm the opposite! Normally Mr Kane sleeps on our bed but I can't bear to have him on the bed at the moment.
He's been slepping with James instead. Maybe it's a good thing though that his sleeping arrangements have changed because I don't think I could sleep once the baby arrived with him in the room. He's a complete lap cat so he's likely to jump in the babys cot :shock:

yes ive gone off our cat as she keeps trying to sleep in the moses basket :doh:

guess we'll have to shut pussycat out when the baby comes :cry: ...i'm sure it will be a scarifice worth making though

only thing i dont like is when she jumps on my belly when im lying on my back, its like double the pressure on my insides

gymbabeliz said:
noooo! i love my kitty and depsite advice, i cant bear to shut her out of the bedroom. I cant sleep without her!! (cant sleep with her either tho cos she wakes us up all the time!)

I'd seriously be trying to get her used to not sleeping in the bedroom while you have the chance before baby is born. I'd not risk trying once baby is here as you'll have enough to contend with. Cats often take a while to adjust and she may well think its ok to cuddle up with baby or sleep in the cot/basket when baby is not there. Get her used to not being in there now if you can.

Aww, I couldn't go off my Barney. He's been my life for 9 years and I just love him to bits. :D

at the moment we're away from home and i dont like to shut the cat out when she's confined and we're in an unfamiliar place. When we get home in a couple of weeks, she'll be allowed outside again and i'll probably do what you suggest at that point :)

I have just been serching the net for cats wanted we have to get rid of one of ours sadly as she has been attacking Isla and caught her eye today, i am worried she'll blind her. :cry:

I find I don't mind the animals (we keep dogs, chickens, outside cat, piggies etc) but its the smell of the chicken house when it comes to cleaning them out. Ewwwwwww :puke: Never used to bother me, but now ick ick ick. Still I love my chooks so just get on with it, albeit holding my breath a bit :lol:

Dogs are fine, they are happy I have more energy now to walk them again and are well used to kids. They are also used to living downstairs and only come upstairs when they know they are about to be taken out for a walk and they sit and camp outside the bathroom door and wait for me :roll:

kellysomer said:
I have just been serching the net for cats wanted we have to get rid of one of ours sadly as she has been attacking Isla and caught her eye today, i am worried she'll blind her. :cry:

Awww sorry thats happened :(

I'd hand her over to the Cats Protection League if you can (where we get most of our cats as I won't have them as kittens). Or a registed cat rescue rather than find her a home through ads. They rescue centres vet prospective homes and check up on them once settled in. Takes away the worry from you of if she is being looked after etc. I always worry via private sales that a person might not look after them so well. I think people who are prepared to have a home check etc, and pay money (donate) are really serious about having that pet, rather than something maybe more on a whim. At least I hope they are. But at least the organisation will keep an eye on them in the first 6 months/year.

kellysomer said:

That's a shame :( I think I'd do the same if the cat attacked my new baby. I'm hoping he'll be ok though. We got him from the cats protection when James was 1, and he's always got on fine with James. He does have a lot of patience with toddlers thankfully

i have 4 cats and i love them all, bu my favorite (wicket) has always been a real people cat, always purring and wanting attention. I used to spoil her rotten, but now she irritates me a bit :( Its only since ive been preggers, and it happened thae last time i was pregnant too. I was fine with them after the baby was born.

Thats good to hear, I thought it might be my hormones cos normally I love snuggling up with my ginger fat cat :D

No sorry muppetmummy, I loved my babies even when pregnant. I had one of them tey ti sleep in the moses basket but i just walloped her when icaught her and she got the idea, same with the cot,i uswed to catch molly sleeping in it and she would get a smack too.They stay well out of it now.And have never jumped in the cot while shes sleeping in it and isnt allowedin our room anymore.

cat.jpg

Here's the ginger git (this photo must be a couple of years old!) Excuse me looking dodgy with no contacts in, or makeup on :lol:

I dont have any cats, but I do find I'm much more nervy around my big labrador now, in case he jumps up on my tummy or knocks me over :oops: he runs up to you and sometimes cant stop :roll: so I am getting hubby to take them out for walks more now

muppetmummy said:
cat.jpg

Here's the ginger git (this photo must be a couple of years old!) Excuse me looking dodgy with no contacts in, or makeup on :lol:

AAAhhh, hes gorgeous :D

I've gone off the dog to the stage I want to take her to the rspca, just can't be bothered with her.

I love my kitty to bits tho :)

We have a black cat called Poppy.

She is lovely and so funny - keeps us entertained!!

I love cuddling her but since i have been pregnant I have been more worried about having a cat and a little baby in the same house.

She likes to curl up in warm places and worried she will try and get into baby's cot etc.

We have been keeping her out of baby's room for ages and she doesnt other even trying to get in there now. Just think when baby is here and the room is more cosy she might try and get in...

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back