Godparents?

evemarie8

Reaction score
Sorry if I have posted this in the wrong place but I couldn't figure out where was best!

Does anyone know if there are any rules over how many godparents a child can have?

I know its soon to be thinking about it as my LO hasn't even arrived yet, but all being well I would like to have him Cristened in February and we would like 4 godparents, but I am sure the usual number is 3??

Is this a standard or is it personal preference?

we were allowed 4 so jayde has 4 :cheer: the best thing to do is ask the vicar

I think tradition is that if you have a girl then you have 2 male & 1 female godparents & if you have a boy then you have 2 female & 1 male godparents.

Mmmmmm, a friend says its 2 males and a female for a boy & thats what I thought too, but we are having a boy and I find myself more trusting of female relatives for the position. I would like my sister and Brads aunt along with their respective partners to take the responsibility as couples!? I just didn't know if the vicar would let me squeeze that fourth person in?

Our vicar says we can have as many as we like. (C of E)
Churches seem to be alot more agreeable these days as not many people our generation go.

I think it depends on your church to be honest.... I am god parent to my niece (1 of 2 godparents - through Church of Scotland), and god parent to my nephew (1 of 4 godparents - through Church of England)

as far as i know my godparents was a man and woman their married :p

My 2 brothers and I have 3 each.
I have 2 God-Mothers and a God father (married to one of the mothers) and my brothers have 2 gad fathers and one God Mother (again, married to one of their fathers)
I can't see why you shouldn't have more than 3 though, surely the more people looking out fot the babys 'moral upbringing' the better?

we are getting our children christened on the 30 th sept & the vicar told us we could have as many as we wanted, although he said its traditional to have 3 & they have to have been christened themselves :D

we are having my sis & her hubbie & my best friend. :D

We were told by our Vicar when we got Harrison christened that we could have as many as we would like but they'd have to have been christened themselves. We had 4 him, 2 girls and 2 boys

Thea has four Godparents. My cousin and his girlfriend (who happens to be my best mate lol) and Richards cousin and her partner. I didnt ask if that was ok but then my uncle was the vicar so it didnt matter!

I am 1 of 4 godparents for a child and also, my sister-in-law had her 2 kids christened at the same time and had 4 godparents altogther for both of them. They should be flexible

Thanks girls, seems my problem may have changed though beause I don't think Brads aunt and uncle are christened and I know my sisters partners family are strict Catholic (we are C of E).

I will have to have a long talk with the vicar on Sunday! See how the land lies!

i got my kids baptised sunday
i had 4

my best friend (female)
my brother
my antie
my uncle

as long as 1 of them are catholic its fine

Would we be able to have our LO christened (Catholic) as my OH is catholic and I'm atheist? Would they still do it as I'm not religious but my OH wants her christened so I'm happy with his reasons for that?

yes they would hun aslong as one parent is

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back