Catholic baptism!

leibiloo87

Reaction score
Hi everyone.

I was just wondering if anyone knows the rules with catholic godparents? we are getting our kids christened catholic in august me and my husband are not catholic but our children go to catholic school and the priest said he would christen them catholic as he knows us we attend church and our children are brought up catholic and they want to be able to do there holy comunion with there friends, im worried tho as iv been reading that the godparents have to be catholic, confirmed and attend church on a regular basis but none of my close friends or family are catholic I know a few catholics that attend church through the school but no1 id be happy to have as a godparent! so....does anyone know if you can bend the rules a bit and have godparents who are non catholic? or has anyone who is not catholic been a godparent to a catholic child? im really starting to worry!! x

Hi, yes you are correct. If your child is to be baptised as a Roman Catholic, the God Parents have to be Catholic as well. During the baptism the God parents are asked questions, one of them being something along the lines of agreeing to bring the child up as Catholic should something happen to the real parents. You would be best to speak to the Priest about this as maybe he can sort something out for you. Bet of luck. xx

Thank you hun, our priest is usually very good with stuff like this but im a bit scared of asking him lol if we were close enough to a catholic id have them as I do feel its only right to have catholic godparents if we are bringing our children up catholic but we really dont all our friends are either CofE or Methodist hope hes understanding I will speak to him at mass on wednesday, wish me luck haha x

I am CofE and I am Godmother to a Roman Catholic Goddaughter, maybe it depends on the Priest but they just wanted me to have been baptised, the fact I was confirmed too was a bonus. CofE promise to bring children up in the Catholic way too we are Anglo Catholic rather than Roman Catholic.

Last edited:
I'm a catholic and am a godmother to a catholic child but the other godmother is CofE. I think it depends on the priest. If the priest knows you aren't catholic I really can't see him being difficult about the choice, but once again, it depends on the individual.

I live in Northern Ireland so maybe it's slightly different here?

my ex is cofe and he is god father to his neice who is catholic

It depends on th priest, my daughters godfather isn't catholic and the priest was ok with that. Godmother is catholic though. We know ou priest very well so it was never an issue. X

Oh thank you all that gives me a little hope then ill have to speak with the priest tomorrow x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back