Godparents?

ella

Reaction score
Darragh's Christening is the end of May and we want him to have two female godparents - does anyone know if this might not be allowed - it will be a catholic church :think: :think:

At the church we're getting Ellie baptised at they said that one of the godparents has to be catholic but the rest it doesnt matter and it doesnt matter whether they are male or female :)

i think it is supposed to be 2 female 1 male for a girl and the other way round for a boy bu my daughter had 2 of each

We're having two ladies as god parents for Mhairi.

I was worried about it too, but it's apparently fine now!

xxx

i have 2 godmothers and 1 godfather....i thought thats what it was for girls and 2 godfathers and 1 godmother for boys but i could be wrong...
I didnt think it would matter too much as long as you were happy with the decision really but i guess its down to the church..

I was told that for catholicism if you are having 2 it's gotta be 1 male and 1 female, and at least 1 needs to be a practising Catholic.

At least that's how it is in my church.

I'm Catholic and have 2 female god parents......I don't see any reason why you can't have but best checking with the priest x

I think to be completely honest all churches have different views, my parish is pretty lax with what goes, a friend's parish is so strict on rules etc she ended up abandoning her christening ideas and doing something else to avoid the red tape if you know what I mean. Speak to the priest at your parish, get the low down from him, it really does seem to differ big time.

Personally I have 2 Godmothers and 1 Godfather, my son has 2 Godfathers, 1 Godmother - 'tradition' says the child should have 2 parents the same gender as the child and 1 of the opposite gender. Today though pretty much anything goes, just double check it's ok with your parish!!

Nicola said:
'tradition' says the child should have 2 parents the same gender as the child and 1 of the opposite gender. Today though pretty much anything goes, just double check it's ok with your parish!!

This tradition does not happen here in Ireland, here everyone seems to have one of each - although I quite like the idea of it.

Im worried about it because we wanted two girls to be the witnesses at our wedding last year and at the last minute the priest said it had to be a man and a woman :twisted: I have spoke to my church here and they said it was ok but I didnt trust them after the last time - so Im glad that it seems to be ok elsewhere too

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back