Glucose Test

traci

Reaction score
How the hell am I meant to cope with it!?! I cant function in the mornings without having my cuppa and breakfast, not to mention my craving is driving me insane! But thats not the worst part.....

I live in the middle of nowhere, and the hospital I have to have the test at is half hour away by car and I dont know my way around the hospital. What am I going to be like trying to get to the hospital (I dont have a car) at stupid o'clock in the morning, finding where I have to go all on an empty stomach and on my own? :wall2:

I've got mine on Wednesday, not looking forward to the lack of food/drink either hun!!

They're not the nicest of things to put pregnant women through, my only advice is to make sure you take some food with you so you can eat straight after your 2nd lot of bloods. I didn't do this when tested in my last pregnancy and it knocked me for 6, I ate straight away this time and I felt fine. Hope it goes ok.

We get tea and toast when it's done :)

Sounds like your hospital is on the ball DW, I got given a biscuit this time but the time before (different hospital) they just told me to go. My blood sugar was lower 2 hours after the glucose than it was after fasting so no wonder it made me feel awful.

Luckily (or not sometimes), all our healthcare is private (no NHS) so I like to think we do get that little bit of extra care sometimes - although I know thats not always the case.

I'd certainly hope to get that little bit extra if it was the same here.

The hospital I'm going to hasnt got the best reputation for its care! So glad I wont be having baby there! I've asked DH to come with me but he's told me he cant get the morning off work. Next option is to see if MIL can take me, but that means rearranging everyone elses day! She'll have to have a day off work, take FIL to work at 7.30 and then get me to hospital, which are in opposite directions!! Why do these things have to be so difficult!?!

I sound like such a moaner!

You don't sound like a moaner at all Traci, going to hospital on your own when you have access to a car sucks (did it for my first consultant appointment), so I'd be getting myself into a tiz if I was in your situation. I made my DH feel so guilty he took the day off for my GTT but if the powers that be say he can't then it's out of his control. When is it? x

Does everyone have to have one of these tests?

No Coco, it's only if you are at risk of getting diabetes by having it in your family, having it in pervious pregnancies or being over a certain BMI.

I didn't have one when I was pregnant with Lennon but because my sister has since been diagnosed with late onset diabetes I have to have one for this pregnancy.

Definitely take something to eat! I went all faint after mine and ended up sitting in the hospital canteen with my head on the table, all on my own! I think if I hadn't put my head on the table I would've fainted off my chair. It wasn't pleasant x

Got mine this week, told my OH he has to come too as I cant get me and my LO to the hospital which is 45mins, at least, away and I know I will just feel horrible, so we're going to ToysRus between the tests just to distract me a bit. Is there nobody who can go with you?

MIL is going to come with me. Still not looking forward to not eating!! Plus I'm a very difficult person to get blood out of. A nurse once told me to make sure I have plenty to drink and something to eat before I have bloods done....should go really well for me then! :dohh:

Got mine this week, told my OH he has to come too as I cant get me and my LO to the hospital which is 45mins, at least, away and I know I will just feel horrible, so we're going to ToysRus between the tests just to distract me a bit. Is there nobody who can go with you?

you're not supposed to go for a walk in between the tests, you need to sit quietly for the 2 hours, otherwise the results could be off... i took a book to read.

i went by myself to my test on the bus, it was a 1 hr journey there and back. don't worry too much, the blood test was pretty quick, and i usually have bad veins... the glucose drink was disgusting, but bearable, and there were 4 other women having it done at the same time. we sat and waited together, and chatted, so it was pretty nice in the end.
i took a sandwich and ate it straight after before heading home, and i felt fine.
good luck! x

you're not supposed to go for a walk in between the tests, you need to sit quietly for the 2 hours, otherwise the results could be off... i took a book to read.

Yep I was about to say the same thing, I was told your not allowed to even bring Lo's with you as you have to sit still and quietly for the 2 hrs between tests as running around after a lo or walking round the corridor even can affect how your body deals with the glucose and can produce a false result, they need to see how your body deals with glucose without any outside factors affecting it. So u might wanna check u can bring people with u. It wasn't too bad there was 2 other girls there having the same test and we chatted quietly and I took a book and my knitting :) I did take a sarnie for straight after which helped a lot!!! Although I felt pretty fine which surprised me, but if u do have gtt u might not feel great and will appreciate having the food!!!

My letter says that I have to stay at the hospital for the whole thing. Dont think I could handle going anywhere tho!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back