Giving blood?

I think it is 9 months after having a baby

*just checked the site* it is 9 months :)

You can't give blood if you have had a transfusion after 1980. (according to the site) http://www.blood.co.uk

I am AB+ which is rare-ish.

maria1976 said:
Suzie and Faith said:
I did it from 2 days after my 17th birthday until Fi - and am looking forward to going back again.

IT DOES NOT TAKE AN HOUR well not the needle bit. it depends how fast your blood comes out, lol. I can do it in 7 minutes, apparently I gush. LOL

I hate needles but it is fine. It feels like a scratch when they put it in then you don't feel it. I bruise badly each time but im like a peach in that way. Lol.

And you get a free cuppa and bikkies :wink:
And stickers. Lol.

It's a great thing to do :D

Well im defo going now!! :)

:rotfl: :rotfl:

I gave blood from when I was 17 until I got pregnant with ds, apart from 1 year after I got my tattoo when I wasn't allowed. I'm planning to go again when I'm allowed. It doesn't hurt, plus you get free tea & biscuits :)

Last edited:
I'm going to do it now Angel is 9 months. They are quite regular here in Boston so i will sign myself up. And OH has said he will do it with me too.

My nephew was 12 weeks early and needed a transfusion so that really gave me a kick up the arse to return the favour!

I've given 6 pints. It doesn't hurt. The finger prick test for anaemia beforehand hurts more IMO lol

I gave really regularly until late 2006 when I fell pregnant with DD - I am nearing 25 pints donation in total, when I'll get a special pin badge! I gave 2-3 times a year from age 17 apart from when I had my belly button pierced when I was 18.

I phoned up when DD was 9 months as I was still b/feeding - Scottish Blood Transfusion Service, said that I could donate as long as I'd been not pregnant as long as I'd been pregnant (9 months, give or take). Unfortunately I didn't get round to going over the next couple of months then I got pregnant again. I'll now have to wait 'til February 2010 but will make sure I go regularly after then.

Here they make it very easy to give, they come to most of the local towns and villages and you get treated very well when you go to donate. I love the very special chocolate biscuits you get! I don't have an issue with needles, but obviously don't love them but agree that its not particularly painful, and I wouldn't bother with the local anaesthetic they offer as this hurts just as much! I donate a pint in about 10 mins which I think is about average. The anaemia fingerprick test definitely hurts more (but over in seconds!).

I went for years with my Mum and Dad and couldn't wait to start donating at 17 - I'll definitely be taking DD along with me when she's older to encourage her to do it when she's old enough too. Its a great way to get them used to it as part of life.

Go for it dsl!

Valentine Xxx

I've given blood 3 times before ttc Logan. It was fine, I did feel really faint after the first time but I think that was because I hadn't eaten for hours. The other times I had a snack just before and felt a lot better.

It only takes 5-10 mins depending on how fast your blood flows out, mine is usually really slow!

I will definately start donating again once I've past the 9 months since giving birth mark.

Suzie and Faith said:
I think it is 9 months after having a baby

*just checked the site* it is 9 months :)

You can't give blood if you have had a transfusion after 1980. (according to the site) http://www.blood.co.uk

I am AB+ which is rare-ish.

Thanks Suzie, they must have changed since I fell pregnant, I will give them a call and ask for them to send for me in a couple of months time. Im B- which is rare-ish too.

I would LOVE to donate blood... it would make me feel so proud, I'd scream it from the mountains that I was doing something so worthwhile, and saving peoples lives... But sadly I'll never be able too :( I've contracted a disease through a blood transfusion years ago, my body fought it off, but I still have the antibodies, and the preliminary blood tests they do at the blood screening bank throw my blood out, even though its not longer infected :( DH donates though and I am very proud of him. :D :D :D

Big up all those who have donated though... :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: You're true lifesavers... :hug:

I want to do it, but I have never weighed enough (except when pregnant, and for 6 months afterwards). I keep trying to convince my DH to do it on my behalf, but he isn't convinced!

Id love to, but Im anaemic so I dont think they'd accept my blood? And I fainted at that blood test :oops:

I'm going to give blood when I can. I think you have to wait 9 months after you haave had a baby? I'm aneamic too and I lost 4 pints after having Amber so I'm not ready to give any away just yet! :lol: But I think its really important, it really does make a huge difference and I am grateful to whoevers blood I had because without it I would have been very ill

I have given blood and would happily do it again........you feel great afterwards, like you are giving something special, and the thought that you might just save a life is an amazing feeling!

Does it hurt.........no not at all, its not the most comfortable thing, but there is really not much to it and its over very quickly and you are so well looked after, you even get a cup of tea and a biscuit afterwards :D

I really want to give blood, OH does it, but i lack iron and B12 so they wouldnt want me :(

Laura_James&Amber said:
I'm going to give blood when I can. I think you have to wait 9 months after you haave had a baby? I'm aneamic too and I lost 4 pints after having Amber so I'm not ready to give any away just yet! :lol: But I think its really important, it really does make a huge difference and I am grateful to whoevers blood I had because without it I would have been very ill

At the moment if you have had a blood transfusion after 1980 you sadly wont be able to donate :( This may change in future years so always good to keep checking.

I donate as often as I can but had to take time out when I had my ears pierced and again following my m/c's. Think I've given about 20 donations up to now, but I also managed to persuade my parents to start so between us we've managed about 60 donations.

I work in a haematology department and see the difference blood donations make to people on a daily basis so I have huge respect for everyone who takes the time to give blood - its such an easy way to make a difference to a lot of lives :D

I so want to give blood but I'm only 16 and I'm not sure when it's legal for me to do it. As far as I know I'm very healthy so I don't expect there'd be a problem.
I'm slightly faint at the sight of blood but I had a blood test for diabetes 3 years ago and I just looked the other way and was fine, pretty much pain free except for the little scratch of the needle penetrating, nurse was lovely too and very gentle as she knew I was wary.

I don't even know what my blood type is but I'd be very curious to know, regardless of whether my blood is rare or not I'd still be willing to donate providing they want it from me!

I say you go for it, I imagine there isn't a better feeling. When I see a blood transfusion van with sirens blaring it makes me think of the people who donated, it's truly a
great thing and I have so much respect for the people who do it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DreamRapeVic
Back