Blood/organ Donors

little*red

Reaction score
This is a bit random but just wondered if anyone on here was a blood or organ donor?

I used to donate blood as often as possible but when i was 19 i got a tattoo and your not allowed to donate for 1 year after that and then just as the year was up i got pregnant with Evie so couldnt donate either. The funny thing is i hated giving blood at my pregnancy checkups, but i think its because i would always faint, the midwife didnt believe me that i used to donate blood :rotfl: .
Im not an organ donor though, i know it sounds selfish but i would like to be kept whole when i die so that my loved ones know they have every part of me. :D

my dh wants to be an organ donor but i dont like the idea. I was considering giving blood to get over my fear of needles.

i used to donate blood
i will again but waiting for a year as just got a tattoo
my blood type is quite rare too

im an organ donor too
i want to be cremated anyway lol
n im not going to be using my organs when im dead lol

I'm a blood donor - I've been going since I was 18, obviously can't now I'm pregnant and have to wait till LO is 9 months before I can go again now.

As for organ donation I'm on the list, if I'm dead and don't need them then why not save a life type thing - DH seems to think though that if I went before him he'd not give permission and I can see his point I'd hate to think of someone else with DH's heart or something.

However if you saw the news this morning they are trying to sort the law so that everyone is an organ donor unless you specifially opt out of it as the shortages of organs is amazing and when it was done in the Netherlands the amount of transplant patients that recieved treatment was up by 30% which is a fantastic improvement. I don't think it's right to MAKE people donate as I think very few people will know how to opt out type thing but it's what's on the current agenda to try and do next anyway.

ETA: The "everyone is a donor unless you specificallly opt out" thing is said to make it easier for the dead person's relatives also who are questioned "can we do an organ harvest" literally minutes after the "sorry he's dead" statement. I can see where that would make things easier but still not sure it should be law.

I donated blood as often as I could since I was 17. I got a tattoo when I was 19 but once the 12 months were up I started donating again. Obviously I couldn't when I was pregnant & we're going to be TTC again when Austin's 9 months so I probably won't be able to give blood again for a while.

I'm on the bone marrow donor list too, I know it can be painful but I figure if I can help to save someone's life it's worth a little bit of pain.

I'm on the organ donor list too, but I've been a bit unsure recently, purely because you can't decide what happens to your organs. I'm happy to donate them to people who may needs transplants but I'm not sure I'm happy with them going to be tested on & messed around with by scientists/med students etc. I'm not sure why, it's just a personal thing.

I used to donate blood - I don't anymore as I don't bleed easily and the last time they took it it left me in so muchpain i was off work for 2 days and my arm swelled right up :shock: My parent's both have awards for donating, although mum can't anymore. They were regular donors after my sister and mum only survived birth thanks to donations, and it helped to keep my baby sister alive for a few extra precious days, giving my mum and dad chance to say goodbye.

I am on the organ donor list for everything. When you're dead, you're dead and its no use to you or your relatives. my memories wouldn't disappear if one of my loved ones had something taken away.

My sister's organs were kept after her death to aid research and hopefully help babies born with problems.

I'm also on the bone marrow donor list and have been tested a few times :D

we are all organ donors in this house, my mum died when I was 14 waiting for lungs and I always vowed I would carry a card.

I can't give blood as I've had tattoos and am Diabetic

I can't donate blood at the moment - I freak out, however, I am hoping to overcome this in the future.

I am an organ donor and have put my DD down as one too.

It choked me up to sign for it on her doctors form, but the way I see it is:

If she were to get ill and need an organ, some poor little baby will have had to have died and it's parents taken the tough decision to donate his/her organs. I would be eternally grateful for that. SO the least I can do is sign a piece of paper putting her on the list.
God Forbid anything should ever happen to her, but if it ever should, I would take comfort in the fact that her death helped someone elses precious child to live.

(geez, I'm crying now!)

I agree with that MM thats why Paris is a donor too :hug:

It could be me in a few years if my kidneys don't behave :roll:

I donated blood once. I was an organ doner but I've lost my card and am too lazy to get another one :roll:

libs said:
They were regular donors after my sister and mum only survived birth thanks to donations, and it helped to keep my baby sister alive for a few extra precious days, giving my mum and dad chance to say goodbye.

that made me cry :cry: :hug:

I haven't donated blood, the needles and blood tests at the doctors do me in.. :puke: I would consider it, because the amount of blood tests I've done in my pregnancy has taught me to just shut up and let them get on with it, but it worries me how much they might take.. I get lightheaded quite easily so them taking loadsa blood off me might not be a good idea unless they feed me mars bars afterwards.

Organ Donor - my OH is all up for it, but I'd be sad to think he had no eyes.. insides I don't mind so much about as they can help people and I wouldn't see them anyway, but he has such lovely green eyes I'd be so sad to think they were seperated from him.. if that makes sense. He wants to be cremated anyway which I'm not fond of either but if thats his preferred way then he may as well donate everything - that makes sense.
Me though, I am not decided.. I like the idea but I'd feel sad that I wouldn't be whole. I know it's a good idea and can help people and things, I've just not thought about it much cos I don't really know where I stand on it.

OMG don't cry hun it was a long time ago and the little tiny mite was deaf, blind, had heart failure and kidney failure, and severe brain damage. She just went to sleep in dad's arms.
Let me cheer you up a little - they were twins. One did sadly die as they were born at 28 weeks - 25 years ago when things weren't as good as now (mum didn't even know she had twins :shock: ) BUT - one survived (thanks to the blood donations and a lot of hard work by the hospital :D ) and despite having cerberal palsy leads a full enough life that I had to stop the car when I was taking her to work this week as her hangover was so bad :wink:

Reading the stock levels has made me feel cr@p

I really need to get over my phobia.

Even if it is to stockpile blood in case I need it :lol:
I really wish I wasn't scared :(

id give up blood and i have gone a couple of times then wen it came to me i had a panic attack sounds silly i know but i hate ne type of thing like that

i am a donnor card holder tho and i have made it clear to my famly if nething was to happen they have to let them have my organs

the only thing they cant have are my eyes freaks me out that bit

awww libs :hug:

yea im rhesus negative
anyone can have our blood :cheer:
but we can only have rhesus negative blood lol :roll:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members