Girls, I need some opinions

Gemsy

Reaction score
I am having real indecision about where to have my baby and I just don't know what to do.

I have two choices (well, two choices that I would be happy with)

1. MLU within a very large hospital with one of the best paediatric units in the country. So, I am in a MLU but there is emergency care right there a lift ride away if I need it. (Oh and an epidural :lol: ). You cannot visit there as they are too busy but it has an excellent reputation, and I actually have a midwife friend who has highly recommended it to me. They have all the relaxing birthing rooms etc, but they only have one pool. BUT - and this is a big but to me, my midwife told me at my last appointment that if I turn up there and MLU is full, I will be sent downstairs to the consultant unit. I really don't want that, I don't do well in hospitals/with lots of medical intervention, and I really think it will stress me out and slow down my labour. This place is a 40 minute drive for us, and in rush hour will be much harder to get to, if we happen to need to be going there too.

2. Independent MLU. This is a brand new unit with four pools and lots of rooms. It is standalone, and if I needed consultant/emergency care the nearest hospital is a 10 minute ambulance ride. You can look around and the midwives seem lovely. The place is absolutely pristine. It is a much easier drive for us. The possibility of an ambulance ride really bothers me, and if I got transferred I would not be so happy with where I was going. The other hospital is much newer, nicer and has a much better reputation.

I really don't know what to do!!! :( do you plan your choices for the worst case scenario, or plan to have a good experience?

I'm in a kinda similar situation, a Mw lead unit in a hosp or a birthing unit on its own. I'm lucky that they are equi distant though.

Only one pool in each though.

I'm going to call the hosp first. If they are full, I'm going to call the Mw unit instead!

Thing is, its one thing we can't plan, how many other mums are due at the same time! I'm just glad I'm not due around a full moon lol.

Good luck with your decision

Xx

Yeh I would say ring on the day if u can and get to the first one then if u find when u ring they are full go to other one. X

Remember that the chances of needing to be transferred are quite small, if you're low risk chances are you'll be fine in the MLU. I like the sound of the one closer to you. Might depend how quick your labour is too. Like the girls say you could always call but guessing you need to select one before the day? I don't want any doctor intervention if possible hence the home birth. Maybe I'm crazy! But two mws to myself sounds good to me! ;-) xx

I'm going to independent one rather than hospital one. Far better care my area, plus more pools at independent- the most they've ever had in at one time was 4!

Plus they are so experience at non intervention that they only move you if absolutely necessary, no panic transfers etc no pressure from drs etc.

I had DD1 there and am
Planning an extra night or two this time.

On my iPhone - so cant see tickers :(

I had a long chat with my midwife today, and she was quite reassuring in that they can deal with the majority of emergencies, and also you are far less likely to need/get intervention as there is not that time pressure you have at hospitals.

Go for the independent unit a 10 minute ride is nothing. Our stand alone unit is 50-60 minute time frame away even if blue lighted by ambulance. The MW's in a birth centre are so on the ball at detecting deviations from the norm even if there was a small chance of transfer it would be done in a timely manner and you will be informed where you are going and why. You have more chance of a water birth and better experience there than gambling with the other unit. I wish I had your choice, but do more research if still unsure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DreamRapeVic
Back