Getting newborn baby clothes ready?

X5OT

Reaction score
I just wanted to ask what the best way is to get all the baby clothes ready? All the clothes I have so far are brand new. I have bought some Fairy tablets and Fairy fabric conditioner. Should I just wash everything at 40 degrees with the Fairy? Is it better to tumble dry / outside dry / inside dry on airer? What keeps things the softest??

I want to get the clothes all washed over the next couple of weeks, so any advice appreciated

Many thanks :D

Hi there,

I washed and dried mine in Fairy and Comfort Pure at 40 degrees keeping the whites, lights and darks and also towels/cuddle robes etc seperate. I had mostly second hand stuff though - I'm not sure if I would bother if I were you and if it was all new and in packets. I did wash some new stuff pre birth but then we got LOADS of new stuff when she was born and I DID NOT have the time or inclination to wash all that so she just wore it straight away so in hindsight, I don't see the point in washing the new stuff bought pre-birth.

I dried them a number of ways (I had such a lot of donated second hand clothes), depending on the weather and space on the outside/inside airers. I also had 16 reusable nappies and lots of reusable wipes to wash and dry x 3 (as recommended before use) so drying space was at a premium! Maybe dry what you can outside, then give them a quick tumble to soften them up?

After washing my clothes, I ironed them lovingly and put them away - one drawer for newborn, one drawer for 0-3 months - do I iron them now - NO! Don't have the time! It's a good way to keep your mind and time occupied while on maternity leave though so have fun!

xxx

valentine said:
Hi there,

I washed and dried mine in Fairy and Comfort Pure at 40 degrees keeping the whites, lights and darks and also towels/cuddle robes etc seperate. I had mostly second hand stuff though - I'm not sure if I would bother if I were you and if it was all new and in packets. I did wash some new stuff pre birth but then we got LOADS of new stuff when she was born and I DID NOT have the time or inclination to wash all that so she just wore it straight away so in hindsight, I don't see the point in washing the new stuff bought pre-birth.

I dried them a number of ways (I had such a lot of donated second hand clothes), depending on the weather and space on the outside/inside airers. I also had 16 reusable nappies and lots of reusable wipes to wash and dry x 3 (as recommended before use) so drying space was at a premium! Maybe dry what you can outside, then give them a quick tumble to soften them up?

After washing my clothes, I ironed them lovingly and put them away - one drawer for newborn, one drawer for 0-3 months - do I iron them now - NO! Don't have the time! It's a good way to keep your mind and time occupied while on maternity leave though so have fun!

xxx

Thanks for that!

:rotfl: @ V w the ironing.....I lovingly ironed my freshly washed baby clothes for Lib too.....my stepmom said to me "that'll be the first & last time you do that" she was right.....I even ironed the muslin squares :rotfl:

If I were you, I would only wash what you need for your hospital bag, and a few items that you def want to keep. I washed everything, ripping tags off left, right & centre, then ended up (including gifts that I just ripped tags off and washed :wall: ) with too many outfits for her - plus she lived in babygro's for the first 4 weeks of her life as they are so much easier (and more confy for baby I reckon)

So I have tons of clothes that she's never worn, but that I couldn't go and swap for he bigger size because I took the tags off and washed them.

I washed in Fairy & Comfort, then hung to dry on the airer until almost dry, and finished them off on tumble......yummily soft!! :D

Emmylou said:
:

If I were you, I would only wash what you need for your hospital bag, and a few items that you def want to keep. I washed everything, ripping tags off left, right & centre, then ended up (including gifts that I just ripped tags off and washed :wall: ) with too many outfits for her - plus she lived in babygro's for the first 4 weeks of her life as they are so much easier (and more confy for baby I reckon)

I washed in Fairy & Comfort, then hung to dry on the airer until almost dry, and finished them off on tumble......yummily soft!! :D

Really good tips there - thanks! I have bought very few clothing items - 6 white vests, 6 long white babygrows, mits, hat, and going-home outfit. We also bought some stuff in Baby Gap in the US, mainly vests, so I'll wash some of these as well. Hope I've got enough clothes ... everyone keeps telling me not to buy clothes as people give them as presents ...

Forgot to ask as well; did you guys wash all the sheets, cell blankets, etc before using them for the baby?

Thanks again!

X5OT said:
Forgot to ask as well; did you guys wash all the sheets, cell blankets, etc before using them for the baby?

Thanks again!

I did, definitely, I wanted them to be nice and soft and smelling of home. With the bed sheets I would def advise you sleeping with them in your bed for a couple of nights after you've washed them so that your smell rubs off on them, that way baby will be able to smell you & feel 'safe'.

As for gifts.....I got tons!! I got clothes from people I didn't even know!! (Friends of parents & in laws etc) and people are very generous.

My moms friends bought me a lot of stuff in 3-6 & 6-9 but everyone else bought newborn & 0.3...so i ended up with sooo much stuff!!

Its so much fun getting ready for baby!!

I agree with not washing all of the new clothes that you have - leave some with the wrapper and tags on - my son was born weighing 11 lb 5 oz and never wore any of the new born baby clothes because he was already too big :shock:

He's just over seven weeks old now and just gone into 3-6 month size clothes!

Good luck and have fun organising baby stuff :D

I used to love organising all the baby clothes when I was pregnant. :) Happy Memories.

I agree about keeping the tags on and not washing all the new stuff. George had so many presents and I removed tags off most but now find I wish I hadn't. Not because he's outgrown them but because he still doesn't fit them! People bought 3-6 months and 6-9 month clothes in Summer styles and it'll be too cold for most of these soon. I did actually take some things back to swap for smaller sizes as George hasn't put on a lot of weight that quickly.

I washed all the sheets and blankets before using them. I like my washing line dried if possible so always have the machine on when it's sunny or windy! :D

Organising the clothes into size piles is a good idea. Also, when you pack your bits for hospital pack only for the first day. Leave some others at home where they can be found easily (I left my "spares" in George's cot). That way OH can bring them along if/when you need them. I took in 2 babygro's, vests, hats etc and left the others at home. It takes away the worry of OH bringing something in which is the wrong size.

:hug:

theyre not dirty so they only need freshening up really, i wouldnt even do 40 degrees, just 30 or even a cold wash. use fairy fabric softener it smells yummy!

I had a mix of second hand and new clothes and just washed them all in sensitive washing powder and conditioner according to colour. Then dried the majority on a clothes horse in the conservatory or on radiators and sorted them in each drawer according to what they were and still sort them the same now......Body Suits/T-Shirts/Trousers/Socks/PJ's/shoes, etc.
I must have restacked those drawers numerous times before Charlie was born. I had everything washed and arranged and the nursery finished in January and Charlie was born April :oops:

@ V w the ironing.....I lovingly ironed my freshly washed baby clothes for Lib too.....my stepmom said to me "that'll be the first & last time you do that" she was right.....I even ironed the muslin squares

I still do ...The only thing of D's i don't iron are bibs and blankets but sheets yes...but he is a prince .

I love washing drying on the line its great the first wash when you peg all your little things out now you just pray they dry

Thanks for all the replies :D Our nursery gurniture arrives next week, so once that is here I will start washing clothing and bedding and then can arrange it all in the drawers etc :dance:

in the last weeks i washed and ironed every thing, in fairy powder and comfort pure softner.

think it was my nesting instinct taking over as i could get enough of little baby clothes hanging on the radiators drying.

im already considering getting the boxes of new born baby clothes out of the attic and getting them ready hehe

i washed all new things as they have so much starch on them and i dont like putting it next to babys skin.

i still iron alanas bedding, never ours though hahaha

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back