Getting LO to take more feed

Mrs CW

Reaction score
Hi all,
Just looking for some advice 2weeks ago we changed Dylan to ff as I was given my 3rd lot of antibiotics since he arrived and he doesn't react well to them. I was advised by the hv that he should have half his weight in oz so should have between 5 and 6oz per feed. At the moment he takes about 3/4oz but sometimes only 2oz and sometimes 6oz. Because of this he doesn't always take the full amount of oz he should in a day. I'm trying to get into a routine but can't because he's not consistent with feeds sometimes going 4hours other times just 2. How do I get him to take more per feed so I can get him into more of a routine and ensure he had his full amount per day? Or should I just go with what he wants? I feel like we've gone back to the beginning again!
Thanks for any replies x x x

I would go with the flow for now, he should settle back down. I always think of it like an adult, sometimes we're just not that hungry and sometimes we're starving. If he seems happy enough then I wouldn't worry

^wss, it'll settle down soon enough hopefully, I know its a pain, but it'll pass before you know it x

That's exactly what Jax was like when he first started on formula. I just used to make up 4oz bottles and feed him on demand and it was a bit if a nightmare. Over the last couple of weeks we've started to get into more of a routine so I feed him at 8-9am (regardless of when he wakes or was last fed), 11-12pm, 2-3pm and then his last feed is at 6-6.30pm and then he goes to bed. I'm not sure if its just him getting older or this more fixed routine but he will now often take 5-6oz per feed. He also feeds much much much better when we are alone. Yesterday was my eldest sons 6th birthday and 3 family members came round and he only drank 3oz! Now though, if he only takes a small feed, I still stick to the routine and wait till his next feed and he's fine with this. If he starts getting moany, I can cuddle/play/distract him till his next feed (obviously if he got distraught I would feed him but he never does) whereas before I would just feed him as I thought it was cos he was hungry cos he hadn't had enough milk. This much more structured routine is working so much better for both of us, I am much more confident about knowing whether or not he is hungry.

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using Tapatalk

Thanks for the replies! I've tried distracting him to get a set time between feeds but it doesn't work for long. He has been quite consistent today so maybe we're having a breakthrough! X

Thanks for the replies! I've tried distracting him to get a set time between feeds but it doesn't work for long. He has been quite consistent today so maybe we're having a breakthrough! X

Yeah, I don't think that would have worked for Jax a few weeks ago either so maybe its just his age and that he's got himself into a routine over time. It's great that he's been better today, maybe its just a matter of time?

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back