Gestational Diabetes

Jaxx01

Reaction score
Has anyone had this and can offer advice??

I have just been told that Ive got gestational diabetes and because my level shot soo high that I may possibly have had type 2 all along :(

Im absolutely gutted...I havent a clue what implications this means for baby :( Im scared and also cant now attend the birth centre :(

Can anyone tell me what happens now?? Will they keep a close eye on my baby so nothing happens to him?? :( Im gutted xx

hun i didn't want to read and run, sorry but i dont know about it. i have an appointment for my test at 1.50 today, must be upsetting but i'm sure they can help you out. didnt your midwife tell you? xx

The midwife at the hospital rang me...the thing that worries me is she said she was shocked as my levels were very high even after fasting for 12 hours :( she said shes faxing my results over to the doc at my main hospital and they will contact me asap :(

Im just scared as I dont want anything to happen to baby...ive had two miscarriages and have come this far...now Im panicing...

:(

Oh Hun, try and stay calm. I have no personal experience but I wanted to let u know that as far as I can tell from why others have said/experienced that baby normally is fine but they take on more of your bloods sugar so they grow quicker and normally have to arrive earlier so they aren't too big. if they r worried about u having type II diabetes then they will need to look at your diet and try and control your blood sugar levels by eating the right things and poss insulin. If they know this is happening to you then they will make things better for you and baby ASAP. Don't panic and it could still yet be gestational diabetes. Good luck and keep us posted.xx

hello hunny, i asked when i had my appointment today and she said that if my test comes back as gestational diabetes they will try to control it with diet, otherwise you get reffered to a diabetes clinic and they will try to sort it out. apparently its not the same as normal diabetes and disappears after your arrivalxxx

I have gestational diabetes :-(

I have been given medication called Metformin and need to check my Glucose levels at least 4 times a day.

I took a bad reaction to the Metformin (very sick) so had to stop it so have another appointment tomorrow to see if i need to try Insulin.
You will get an appointment with the Diabetic Nurse, Diabetic Consultant and your Consultant for pregnancy to discuss things.
They will either keep a weekly or fortnightly monitoring on you and baby, i have to go every tuesday. One week i get to just listen to baby heartbeat, the next week i get rigged up to the heart and movement monitor then the following i get a scan, aswell as blood pressure and urine checked every week.
They will be keeping an eye on baby's size as gestational diabetes can cause your baby to get big and will probably induce u a week or 2 before your due date (ium getting induced at 38 weeks). They class it as "high risk pregnancy" but theres nothing to really worry about huni, i know how u feel, when i found out i sat in tears for the rest of the day. They will check baby's glucose once born aswell just incase there blood sugar is low or high. They dont let pregnant women with gestational diabetes go to full term.

The way i see it, with the weekly monitoring, your getting to know the staff on a weekly basis, so come labour day, you will probably know them all by 1st name lol.

Try not to worry, i still do so i know how u feel. PM me if u need a chat xx

Hi hon, I went for my second glucose test today because my one at the midwife was over and I'm also measuring 4 wks bigger than I should.
I was worried too so tried to find as much info as poss and just about everything said if they find it and treat it you and baby shouldn't have a problem. It also said dont rule out having a natural birth - they would want you at the hospital in case you need c-section if baby is big but if you dont have any complications you should be able to use the pool if you wanted.
I also found out that 2 girls at work had it with their babies - both were diet controlled and had no problems at all so dont worry.
I'm going on holiday tomorow so they got me my result this afternoon and I dont have it which is good for me but please dont stress you should hear from someone in a few days then have an appointment to find out whats going on - good luck :hugs:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DreamRapeVic
Back