Gestational diabetes at 37 weeks?? Is it possible??

Flowerpower87

Reaction score
Hi all. Just looking for a bit of advice... I'm 37 weeks today and had a normal midwife appointment. She dipped my urine and said there was ketones in it, she said have you eaten okay 8 had, 2 weetabix with banana on about 2 hours before! I had a bottle of water there with me so she said I'm guessing you've drank plenty too.. She said its usually a sign your not eating or drinking enough to which I laughed and said my appetite is brilliant (I've gained 22kg this pregnancy) anyway we then went on to talk about how I've been really dizzy and seeing floaters and my increased thirst! She said my BP was fine so it's probably down to the heat and maybe I should get my eyes tested to rule that out! I've come home and started googling things and I'm now worrying it could be gestational diabetes? I have never been screened for it, I had my bloods last taken at 28 weeks and it was just obviously fine then as nothing was mentioned. Is it possible to develop it this late? I have such increased thirst over the last few days and really bad dry mouth, although I'm hungry I'm quite fussy on what I fancy too! I am going to make a GP appointment tomorrow just to tell them my concerns but just wondered if anyone had anything like this or am I just overreacting? Also had a growth scan at 35 weeks as was measuring 3 weeks smaller than I had all pregnancy... Today I'm measuring 4 weeks small but she said if the scan 2 weeks ago was fine then no concerns.

Yes, can develop at any time xx

Normal bloods at 28 weeks wouldn't show GDM. A specific two hour fasting glucose tolerance (GTT) would need to have been done. You can indeed develop it at this point. I was tested for it again last week but it came back clear.

I would suggested discussing it with midwife again.

Lxx

What you ate 2 hrs before would not have effected your ketone levels that quickly as it takes a while to work through your system. I'd be thinking more like what you ate 12 to 24 hrs before. As well as GD or not eating or drinking enough it can be caused by eating low carbs/sugar and high fat/protein foods.

I had severe sickness in tri 1 and barely ate anything for weeks so my ketones were sky high but that was easily explained :).

Last edited:
Thanks for the relplies, I seen my gp this afternoon who did another test and confirmed it again had ketones in - I have an appointment on Monday for blood tests to test blood sugar

Hopefully you'll have more answers next week then. Glad they're doing the test so you can find out either way xx

Ur urine sample would have tested positive for glucose to be referred for gd test, did it? X

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back