gestational diabetes metformin

cheryl30

Reaction score
I'm 30 weeks pregnant with gestational diabetes. I've been unable to sort out my blood sugar level through diet so have been put on metformin 3 times a day. Has anyone else used metformin in 3rd trimester? I'm a bit worried about it!!! :?

just some info for you...

"FDA pregnancy category B. This medication is not expected to be harmful to an unborn baby. Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or plan to become pregnant during treatment. It is not known whether metformin passes into breast milk or if it could harm a nursing baby. Do not take metformin without first talking to your doctor if you are breast-feeding a baby. Metformin should not be given to a child younger than 10 years old. Extended-release metformin (Glucophage XR) should not be given to a child younger than 17 years old." http://www.drugs.com/metformin.html

I'm currently taking a drug thats a pregnancy category C, but the baby is fine...

As you have gestational diabetes, it is much better for you and your baby to take this medicine rather than risk the consequences of not taking it... Your doctor would not have prescribed it if it posed a great risk to the unborn baby...

:hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back