General opinions on unusual names

moss

Reaction score
I have a name in mind that for some reason I can't bring myself to tell anyone and I have forbidden my husband from telling anyone, as well. Sorry that means this will be a little vague! Anyway, it is Scandanavian and therefore a little difficult to pronounce correctly at first glance. It's only three syllables, but it has a "j" in it, pronounced like a "y". I love the name and think it's beautiful, but there have been other names I have mentioned to people and they have reacted with "Oh, that's nice but no one will be able to promounce it."

I think it's their problem and they should get over it, but I'm wondering what everyone else thinks.

I think go for it, don't tell people the name until LO here.. they tend to keep their pesky opinion to themselves a bit more then :lol: They will know how to pronounce it because when you tell them the name.. they will hear it :think: the only people I would have thought you'll have trouble with is businesses maybe, like call centres. but doubt thats something you will have to worry about and LO won't need to for a long time yet :hug:

If you like the name then go for it. I'm sure as your LO grows up they will get well used to having to correct people and spell it out also. I know I did with my surname. I am still having to spell it out for people and I am 37. I am well and truly bored of doing so and wish people would learn to listen and actually spell it correctly :wall: :wall:

The only down side to having a non English name :wall:

We opted for a very old hardly used name for our LO. While most people pronounce it correctly some do get it wrong. No biggie, we just correct them. We loved the name and didn't tell people what we had chosen before he was born. Once here, we announced his birth and name and it was a done deal :) Only one person had anything negative to say about it then and he was soon put in his place by me :lol:

I'm forever having to tell people how to pronounce Mhairi's name. We're always getting MARI shouted at clinic and dentists!

It's no biggie, I loved the name and that was all that was important!

xxx

I would go with the name that you love :D Sod everyone else. If I encounter a word or name I'm not sure how to pronounce, I will ask for the correct pronunciation and then feel pleased that I have learnt something new that day :)

LaineyG said:
I'm forever having to tell people how to pronounce Mhairi's name. We're always getting MARI shouted at clinic and dentists!

xxx
:oops: sorry but i thought thats how you pronnounced it :oops:

Sweetcheeks24 said:
I think go for it, don't tell people the name until LO here.. they tend to keep their pesky opinion to themselves a bit more then :lol: They will know how to pronounce it because when you tell them the name.. they will hear it :think: the only people I would have thought you'll have trouble with is businesses maybe, like call centres. but doubt thats something you will have to worry about and LO won't need to for a long time yet :hug:

i agree :)

I'd say go for it. And don't be tempted to say anything before LO's here, we had some really negative comments about DS before he was born that I got quite upset about.

Before baby's born people will just comment on it as a name, rather than your baby, so can be quite hurtful without realising. Afterwards no one will say anything and even if they don't like the name they'll get used to it.

Last edited:
Your baby, you decide. Its quite simple and if the dont like it they can go to 'somewhere very unpronoucable' :rotfl:

This is why i havnt told anyone but Dave the name i think i'm gonna give Tally.

I dont want people making nasty comments

AND i dont wanna decide then change my mind if it doesnt suit her when she finally comes out.

It's not even an unusual or hard to spell name, i've jsut found that every name i suggest people have something nasty to say so i just tell them i dont have a clue now.

Go for it! :cheer: My personal preference is for little used names that are still existing names (rather than ultra-modern made-up ones)

Too many people voice their opinions thinking you care about what they think. For example, No I DON'T think an unusual name is a license to get bullied. :roll:

It'd never be my style to spend ages lovingly choosing a name out of the top 20 only for my child to be known by his/her surname at school for 10 years. Especially cause our surname sucks :lol:

Riot_Grrrl said:
LaineyG said:

xxx

I used to know someone named Mhari, it's pronounced Varri.....I hope, otherwise Lainey will be along in a sec to correct me :lol:

I love unusual names, go for it!

I say it in my head mhairi, like mar( as in car ) ee ( like tree) not marie, marr-eee sorta thing, dno whether its right or not !
I say go for your name hun if you love it and your oh does too thats all that matters !
I keep getting MIL saying to me, * but at the end of the day what you have to think about it that poor child going to school and being bullied for a whim of yours* and i keep telling her, bugger of just cus all your kids names are rellli unimaginative dont piss on my bonfire lol

or at least i do in my head, u go girl im sure its a gorgeous name !

Urchin said:
Riot_Grrrl said:
LaineyG said:

xxx

I used to know someone named Mhari, it's pronounced Varri.....I hope, otherwise Lainey will be along in a sec to correct me :lol:

I've been summoned by Urchin to sort this out! :D

It's Varri! The MH (and also BH, very confusing!) in gaelic is pronounced as a V.

I've probably cursed my darlin' with this name, but I love it!

Confusion cleared?

:rotfl:

xxx

Riot_Grrrl said:
LaineyG said:

xxx

If it is the same as my mate it is pronounced Varri - nice Scottish name :D

LaineyG said:
Urchin said:
Riot_Grrrl said:
LaineyG said:

xxx

I've been summoned by Urchin to sort this out! :D

It's Varri! The MH (and also BH, very confusing!) in gaelic is pronounced as a V.

I've probably cursed my darlin' with this name, but I love it!

Confusion cleared?

:rotfl:

xxx

Oooops!!! Should have read the thread to the end :D

Back to the question.... Ilove unusal names!!! I am forever getting "ooooh, Arianna, thats unusal" or people calling her Adrianna (eh Kimbo! lol!!)

people always comment on lelands name , i swear they think we made it up but its actually anglo saxon , means from the meadow ! ( convieved in a field :lol: )

i always have to spell it , he also got called leyland by my hv alllll the time ! but im hoping there wont be a million lelands in his class at school !

is your name jan (spl?) ? but pronounced yan kinda thing ? i know one someone named that .

:) Unusual names are good I think if you really like it (which you must) then go for it. :hug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back