Gaining too much weight

CARNAT22

Reaction score
At what point does weight gain become and issue?

When your BMI is considered "high" or when you have put on X in X amount of time???

I have done some calculations and I have gained a lot. More than I thought so I am a little worried I am going to end up needing the GTT and / or no longer being low risk (so not being able to use Birthing centre!)

I see my GP in about 2 week for 25w check but I am not back with MW until 28 weeks

xxxxxxxxxxx

I'm not 100% on weight gain during pregnancy, largely because my midwife properly messed up the weighing thing for me so we'll never know what I gain lol. But from things she said its more about how much in a time frame and trying to gain evenly throughout. She's also told me not to worry about it and doesn't seem bothered as long as I'm fit and healthy so I think that seems to be their main concern.

I'm having the gtt test in a few weeks because of my weight and baby's big round tum but for some reason she said its more procedure and would be surprised if I do have it.

What I'm long windedly getting at is the focus seems to be on overall health rather than strictly weight and numbers on their own. Obviously they've got to follow guidelines but I wouldn't worry about it :)
xx

Last edited:
How much weight have u put on and how many weeks are you?

Other than at my first mw appt, i havent been weighed.

I have weighed myself, about 2 weeks ago was the last time and i'm around 70kg. Start weight was about 56kg, so i've gained about 14kg. Don't know if thats a good amount or not though!

The thing to remember is that weight gain in pregnancy comes from so many things- your blood volume increases, baby, placenta, amniotic fluid, development of your breasts, so you can see how it all mounts up.

I'm sure you have nothing to worry about hun, but if you are concerned then mention it to your gp/mw and hopefully they can put your mind at ease.

XX

I've been weighed at every appointment - including both my scans :shock:

So far only the 8w and 16w weight has been recorded though.

I have put on 22lbs and am 23w :roll:

So I have gone from 8st 5lbs to 9st 13lbs...

I had a starting BMI of about 22.

I am not fussed about the actual weight gain but I want to avoid the GTT and I really want to say low risk in order to qualitfy for the Birthing centre / use a birthing pool...

xxxxxxxxxx

Last edited:
I weighed myself at 10 weeks and I had put on 1.5 stone already :shock:

I have no idea what I weigh now, my scales are packed away until this baby arrives, it upset me too much.

I only got weighed at my booking appt and nothing since?

Sorry I don't know as I have avoided the scales. Not been weighed by the MW since 12 weeks!!! According to normal ranges how over are you?

xxx

In my experience you will not be considered high risk because you have gained weight steadily during your pregnancy. I think your BMI is only an issue if you are overweight already when you become pregnant. Also, if everything else is fine your birthing centre should still accept you. I had a BMI of 32 when I became pregnant with my first and my birthing centre had a cut off point of 35. By the time I reached full term i'm not sure what my BMI was but I had gained a huge amount of weight and they had no concerns about having me there.
Your weight does not sound out of control, in fact you sound perfectly normal to me, I dont see that you would have any problems :)

Sorry I don't know as I have avoided the scales. Not been weighed by the MW since 12 weeks!!! According to normal ranges how over are you?

xxx

I think my BMI had a gone up a few points by 16w appointment - although by then I'd only put on 10lbs? I'll find out in a few weeks I guess at 25w appointment...

As I say it's not the weight thing per se but the fact I am worried it could restrict my choices when it comes to giving birth.

xxxxxxxxxxx

Ive put on about 28lb!!! Im 26 weeks I keep thinkin that my weight gain is a bit excesive! But I havent had a weight check since 10 weeks! But im over weight anyway and im already high risk and having a gtt! Although I dont think it will stop me using the pool in labour!

Sent from my LT26i using Tapatalk 2

Also meant to say the amount of weight you put on depends on so many things, size of baby, water retnetion etc so dont be too hard on yourself, it's not all you LOL :)

Since the start of the year i have put on 4.9kg which is about 11lb and im 28 weeks tomorrow.

I had read guidance on how much you should put on in average in each trimester but I gave up as MW never says anything about my weight and Ive only been weighed at my booking in apt and maybe my 16 week midwife appt??xx

lol I hope your right SunnySue as most of my weight gain is on my ankles at the moment they're huge . lol

Last edited:
I don't look or feel massive. Although granted I haven't been in anything but leggings since 13w :lol:

My tops are still normal sizes (albeit I have gone for baggy styles) but boobs have shot up 4 cup sizes and I do have a glorious bump!

I am seeing GP for 25w check on 26th so I'll speak to him then...

I am still exercising most days - I walk 45 minutes to work! Hopefully I'll be fine....

I just really want the option of the birthing centre

xxxxxxxxx

Last edited:
I have only been weighed at my booking appointment but before i fell pregnant i weighed 8 stone 11 and now i am 10 stone 2, and im 22 weeks pregnant.

I wouldn't worry too much hun if they are concerned they will raise it at your 25w check up and I think weight gain really does vary dramatically from person to person. I started off with a bmi of 28 and have put on 1lb so far but they want me to go for the glucose testing anyway when I'm 24 weeks as a precaution. Also despite this my MW is still trying to encourage me to have a home birth (we don't have a birthing centre here). Maybe just raise your concerns with the doctor/mw when you see them xx

I gained 4 stone in total with my last pregnancy!! Went from 10 st (bmi 22) to just over 14! I was still classed as low risk and didn't have gtt, however I wish I had tried harder to keep my weight down I'm still carrying 2 stone of that now :( this pregnancy I have tried much harder to keep weight in check lot of fruit and veg etc and at 22 weeks have gained just 11 lbs.

I don't look or feel massive. Although granted I haven't been in anything but leggings since 13w :lol:

My tops are still normal sizes (albeit I have gone for baggy styles) but boobs have shot up 4 cup sizes and I do have a glorious bump!

I am seeing GP for 25w check on 26th so I'll speak to him then...

I am still exercising most days - I walk 45 minutes to work! Hopefully I'll be fine....

I just really want the option of the birthing centre

xxxxxxxxx

Hun I have put on exactly the same as you have maybe slightly more. I do think it's at the high end of weight gain which I am not happy about but my MW wasn't concerned at all as I was within my BMI which you are also. I am still concerned about gestational diabetes, I have the blood tests for this next Friday so I hope everyhting is good!

It's great that you get in 45 mins exercise most days, that's really good. It's something I need to do. I keep using the tired all the time as an excuse which isn't good enough!

xxx

Interesting Celene, so they are going to give you a blood test to decide if you need the GTT?

Maybe they'll do the same for me?

Although that won't be until 28w?

xxxxxxxx

Interesting Celene, so they are going to give you a blood test to decide if you need the GTT?

Maybe they'll do the same for me?

Although that won't be until 28w?

xxxxxxxx

I am booked in to have the GTT next Friday. They asked me early on in my pregnancy if I wanted to do the blood tests and I said yes. So I have it just before 24 weeks.

xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back