fulltime and kids in school

leckershell

Reaction score
This is ridiculous to ask probably at Ryan's age, but what do you all do when your kids are in school and you both work fulltime? Don't know if that sounds a bit thick but how do you deal with the summer holidays regarding time off? And picking the kids up from school at 3pm??

Bit forward thinking I know, but after asking other people in the company, all I've found off them is that one partner or other has a flexible job or works in a school or works part time, or they rope in family to help. But what if you both want to still work fulltime and don't have any local family? Do you get a childminder to do that? Summer schools? Afterschool clubs... but how do they get there??

I think teenage years would be fine as by then he'd be old enough to occupy himself, but like 5,6,7 year olds etc what do you do? Book the half terms and summer holiday off (between you) as annual leave and then have no holiday for the rest of the year?

It's really been on my mind recently that I might have to change jobs to work around school in future... so any advice or ideas would be most welcome..!

x

Hey leckershell,

I think a lot of people use after school clubs and/or childminders for this. It definitely still is possible!

I used to go to a childminders at 3.30pmish after school and get picked up about 5pm, this is when I was a primary school.

It might be worth finding out about after school clubs at Ryan's primary school or local childminders for the future - will he be going to state (school) nursery when he's 3? If so will his private nursery take him back and forth or will you keep him in full time at private nursery?

There's lots to think about isn't there!

Valentine Xxx

This year I knew there wasn't going to be anybody to look after both kids during the 6 weeks so I ended up leaving work. I mean there were other factors, I didn't just leave cos of that, but now I can't see how else I could have managed if I was still working.

I know there are holiday clubs and stuff but to put Josh in it would be £97 a week, or £21 a day, plus extra money for the trips they go on.

As for full time jobs, I would love to work Monday to Friday 9am-5pm, but it would mean putting Josh into the Nursery club before and after school and I wouldn't do that - it would feel like I hardly saw him.

So for now I'm still a SAHM. I'm planning on going back to work next year though, although when the 6 weeks come round again I dunno what I'll do :lol:

Childminders, i pay £24.50 a week for Cameron after school. £124.50 a week for ful time in summer holidays. If he is ill i have to take time off.
Its not easy, i plan to take up childcare once this one is born or id be working for nothing.

Summer school for Tia.. but its a bind... The local council won't give you priority unless both parents are working and have 3 months wage slips to prove it.. well I started a new job in July so couldn't do that so this year its been Grandma all the way.. :) We also have 3 months summer holidays here for the kids and in June and September the kids only go half time. Its really hard.. but the Spanish government expect you to have grandparents at your disposal.. :roll:

After school club for Paris - it's about £180 a month but they get breakfast in a morning and a sandwich in the evening.

During the hols it's about £17 per day

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back