school age- August/September babies?

Minxy

Reaction score
Hi mummies!

Hope this is the best place to post this. I'm off into hospital to be induced this week and it's gonna be a close one whether LO will be a August or September baby. 5 minutes could make all the difference about him starting school age 4 or 5. What I wanted to ask is.....

1) Are any of your children the oldest/youngest at school?
2) Do you think it has had any positive or adverse effects on their development?

I know I can't go to the extent of crossing my legs Thursday evening but I'm intrigued as to the difference a day might make in the future! :D

Hiya, Not august or sept
But Emily was born in October as was Jack and she is the third oldest in her class, she seemed to be in nursery for ages.

I would say it has had a positive affect as the 5 oldest in her class are also the top 5 in there tests and work and stuff, they are on the top table if you get what i mean and have been doing the next stage work KS2 and they are KS1

Hope that helped and you undersatnd my rambling :lol:

LittleMinx said:
Hi mummies!

Hope this is the best place to post this. I'm off into hospital to be induced this week and it's gonna be a close one whether LO will be a August or September baby. 5 minutes could make all the difference about him starting school age 4 or 5. What I wanted to ask is.....

1) Are any of your children the oldest/youngest at school?
2) Do you think it has had any positive or adverse effects on their development?

I know I can't go to the extent of crossing my legs Thursday evening but I'm intrigued as to the difference a day might make in the future! :D

my eldest daughter was born end of october and she had a ful year in recpetion class at school. I think its a lot better. My youngest daughter was born july and she will only have a few months in reception class.
Its better for them to have a year in reception IMO.

Mason is a July birthday and I was kind of gutted. My main reason was if he was borm a bit later, I would have got a whole extra year with him at home. He did have a whole year of nursery though (mornings, and has since had a whole year of reception (full days) when he goes back he'll be in year one.

Some the kids in his class were enormous when they started school, but development wise he keeps up great, and is ahead of his friends in a lot of subjects.

I did have to remind the teachers more than once though....she'd talk to me about how he was very sensitive and got upset easily, she's say to me "don't worry, he is only 4" and I'd be like, "actually he's still only 3"

Now he's settled into school, I'm not worried at all, he keeps up fine so that's the main thing I suppose.
I do feel for him when, for example, all his friends turned 5 this year and he was waiting and waiting to be 5, then finally he had his birthday and was promtly given a 6th Birthday party invitation. :lol:

Ok I am confused...What is reception? :think: Is that nursery or p1

Up here it's nursery, then primary 1-7 then high school 1st-6th year!

I was one of the youngest in my year as I have a December birthday and up here the cut off is March! :wink:

Jessica was born at the end of July so she was only just 4 when she started reception but was great. Think it did her good and she is always top of the class even though some of the kids are almost a year older. She was so ready for school at 4. Don't know why they call it reception class. it's just year 1 really, so in our school it goes reception then years 1-6.

K X said:
Ok I am confused...What is reception? :think: Is that nursery or p1

Up here it's nursery, then primary 1-7 then high school 1st-6th year!

I was one of the youngest in my year as I have a December birthday and up here the cut off is March! :wink:

It used to be like that when i was at school, now, round here, there is nursery (approx age 3 it's optional and they do mornings or afternoons for 1 year) reception (approx age 4, full days for another year)
After that it goes year 1, year 2 etc, right up through senior school, which is year 11 or year 12, I can't remember.

When Mason goes back he'll be in Year 1, he can't wait :cheer:

Thanks for your replies! From the info I'm getting, it seems it's very much down to the individual.

My teacher friends tell me the older ones do tend to perform better, but I'm an August baby and never struggled.

Having met Mason, who's such a lovely sociable little boy, I'm guessing personality goes a long way to getting on with kids quite a bit older.
:)

B&T were born end Sept so they are close to eldest in their year.

I feel sometimes that it gives them more of an advanatge as some of the children in their class now are nearly a year below them and at this age and learning progress this is a biiig difference!

Good luck with it x

ow contractions kicking in, looking like it'll be the 31st!!!

kieron is an august not so baby lol and he has always been in the gifted and talented all through school so i dont think you can tell

I am a teacher and I think everything evens out eventually because children generally develop at different rates anyway!

our reception is different here. they all start in september when they are 4 but depending on when their birthday is relates to when they are full time. As joshua isnt 5 until May he wont start full time until the last two terms of the year (the school is split into six terms now).

Thanks for all your replies. As it turns out, Stanley hung on until the 2nd September anyway so he'll be one of the big kids.

I'm happy I'll have an extra year with him and still think being the oldest will give him a confidence advantage in the early years if nothing else. :)

i wanted B to be the sep baby as i was an august and i didnt like it one lil bit as i was the 'baby' of the yr

My birthday is on 28th August so I was always the youngest in my classes. P*ssed me off that did lol

Charlie was born on 31st August, so he will be the youngest one in the year, unless there is another child born on the same day. As it was an elective section, it did cross my mind to ask them to delay it until the following day so he could be the oldest in the year, but then I decided not to. Charlie will be the baby of the year, but he will also have the advantage of starting nursery and school earlier. And if he is anything like his big sister, he will need the extra stimulation sooner. Also, I hate to make any decision based purely on finances, but it will save me almost a year of nursery fees. I was born in July, and it never bothered me when I was younger.

ewan was 22nd august so i'm presuming he will be the youngest in his yr. long time to go yet!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back