Fruit and Veg

Charlotte & Emily

Reaction score
Does anyone else find their baby likes fruit but doesnt like veg?

i have tried emily with a few different vegetable, even baby food ones and she refuses to eat them
But she loves fruit, she cant get enough of it lol

It's probably because the fruits are naturally sweeter.

Try giving the veg with some sort of dip - like garlic or homous.

Oh, actually I'm not sure with her just being 3mths - just noticed your ticker.

Ummm.... houmous would prob have to wait until 5 or 6mths because of the natural yogurt and salt. Unless you could make your own.

well i cant even cook eggs so i dont think ill be able to make houmous lol

i havent tried sweet potato yet
is it really sweet? or is that just its name?

It is sweeter than normal potatoes - also try butternut squash and pumpkins - they are sweeter tasting veg.

The other thing you could try if you are mashing the veg is add a little baby rice as it calms the taste - the veg might just be too strong of flavour for her.

Good luck!! :hug:

We're the opposite, Nathan prefers his veg. He will eat some fruits but he pulls his face but he loves veg. I always make sure what ever hes having theres plenty of carrot in it to sweeten it.

Defintely try sweet potatores! its a lovely thing to wean ababy with, i used that and sweede and carrot along with peas in it etc.

I did find as well that stephen didnt like veg and it took a lot of just keep giving it to him till he decided he did like it. Its a real pain but carry on doing it.Have you been freezxing your food in ice cubes?that way you wont waste much when you do her food for her.

how come you are weaning emily already willow is roughley the same age and i havent started yet, how did you know to start.

sorry if that sounds rude i just really dont know when to start weaning her. :?

becky - you will just know when willow will want more than just milk
emily began waking up in the night again and wanting more feeds
and she takes a great interest in my foods
she watches what i eat and drink and licks her lips lol

you will know when shes readdy :)

Definately try sweet potatoes, also carrot and parsnip as they're both naturally sweet and mash in really well :D

She probably likes fruit beacuse it is sweeter. Try the sweeter vegetables such as sweet potato and butternut squash or mix other vegetables with fruit such as potato, swede or carrot with apple. Just try mixing different fruits and vegetables and see if Emily will eat it. I have put 2 recipes that I found below.

Butternut Squash & Pear

Butternut squash like pumpkin and sweet potato, is one of the more unusual vegetables now available in supermarkets which would make ideal baby food. It is easily digested, rarely causes allergies, and is a good source of betacarotene and vitamins C and E. Babies like the naturally sweet taste, which combines well with vegetables like peas or broccoli and also goes well with fruits like apple or pear.
Cooking fruit and vegetables in a steamer as in this recipe is one of the best ways of preserving nutrients.

Ingredients
1 medium butternut squash (about 450g)
1 ripe juicy pear

Method:
Peel the butternut squash, cut in half, remove the seeds and chop into pieces. Steam for about 12 minutes. Peel, core and chop the pear; add to the steamer and continue to cook for 5 minutes or until the squash is tender. Puree in a blender and stir in about 6 tablespoons of the water at the bottom of the steamer or as much as is needed to make the puree a suitable consistency for your baby.

Information:
From 4 months
Suitable for freezing
MAKES 6 PORTIONS

Cauliflower and sweet potato puree

Ingredients
3 cauliflower florets
1 medium sweet potato
1 carrot

Chop the cauliflower florets and place in a medium saucepan, along with the peeled and chopped sweet potato and carrot, cover with water and simmer for 30 minutes or until soft.

Drain off the liquid, reserving a little, mash and puree the vegetables until smooth, adding a little of the reserved water to obtain a soft consistency.

Freeze excess puree in ice cube trays or small pots so you can defrost for later use

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kayx94
Back