Frozen Veg / Freezing Fruit

happy-chick

Reaction score
Is it ok to use frozen veg if there are no preservitives, like peans etc? If I do use frozen peas can they be refroze when made into puree?

What fruits cant you freeze? I know banana is one of em?

Thx :)

Frozen veg is absolutely fine to use (very nutritious actually) and can be refrozen fine.

I find I can't freeze banana or avocado. I can freeze mashed potato or something made with mashed potato but have to rehydrate a bit with a splash of whole milk and butter when defrosting and reheating.

Its really straightforward I find, good luck! One of my best combinations so far has been 20 fruit purees - nectarines (skinned), blueberry (frozen blueberries) and mango (skinned) - chopped and boiled up for a few mins in cold water and frozen. When using these as a pudding, just don't let DD get her hands in the tub and rub it into your cream rug like I did :rotfl: ! Fruit can be really expensive so I sometimes go to Tesco at 9pm and get their reduced fruit (how I got the nectarines - 7 punnets for £2 and mango last time!)

Valentine Xxx

Ok sounds good thanks Valentine!

Ive just started giving dinner then pudding, both puree's just savory first then sweeter afterwards & now shes had the basics im planning to make some more tasty stuff for her (add more veg/fruits) from one of Annabel Karmel's books so going shopping this afternoon :D

Another Q is how long can you leave pureed fruit/veg in the freezer for?

I use frozen peas and sweetcorn for Clark then re-freeze the cooked purees, as reccomended by Annabel Karmel so should be fine. Everything else I use fresh though.
Stewed pears and apples work really well and frozen summer fruits are good to blend too. Banana as you have said is a freezing no-no and I don't think you can freeze avacado (not that I have tried) but apart from that I am not sure of any others.

Ok thanks hun :D Off to supermarket I go, my kitchen is gunna be full of fruit & veg 2nite hehe!

I have days when I go mad with the blender, Clarks fave at the mo is cauliflower cheese, which is just loads of cooked cauliflower, 2oz of his milk and a small pile of grated cheddar! He LOVES it!!!!

Also one of his wierd faves which was an accident when I first made it is parsnip and pear! I meant to defrost two little tubs of parsnip but one turned out to be pear so I thought what the hell :rotfl: ! He loved it and has had it about 4 times since!! :cheer:

evemarie8 said:
I have days when I go mad with the blender, Clarks fave at the mo is cauliflower cheese, which is just loads of cooked cauliflower, 2oz of his milk and a small pile of grated cheddar! He LOVES it!!!!

Also one of his wierd faves which was an accident when I first made it is parsnip and pear! I meant to defrost two little tubs of parsnip but one turned out to be pear so I thought what the hell :rotfl: ! He loved it and has had it about 4 times since!! :cheer:

One of Ellies fav's at the mo is Carrot, Parsnip & Pear :lol: She also loves Butternut Squash, Sweet Potato and Apple :lol:

At the moment we only have a small freezer so just plan to make a weeks worth at a time but we're moving soon and getting one of the huuge american fridge freezers so can so a big batch one a month as we'll have room :D x

another weird one that looked absolutlely awful, but Ruby loves is spinach, potato and quinoa!! she cant get enough. I got the recipes fromThe truuuly scrumptious book of organic baby purees, by topsy fogg.

When i get a chance im gonna try and put some of the recipes up on here.

x

happy_chick said:
getting one of the huuge american fridge freezers so can so a big batch one a month as we'll have room :D x

:lol: Thats what we have and it's now a baby food haven lol!!!!!!

You can't freeze banana, avocado or melon... they all need to be eaten as soon as they are prepared x :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

frozen veg especially peas and sweetcorn and fine to use... once cooked they can be re-frozen.

You can also use dried fruit... they just need softening in boiling water and the stones removed. A lot less of a mess too! :lol:

Thx hun :D will let u know how we get on! Gunna try melon in her feeder too :)

I'm glad you posted this happy_chick, some of my questions have been answered there :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back