formular feeding??what have you been advised?

lisa&alex

Reaction score
can all the new mums please tell me what they have been advised to do in regards to making up bottles???

I'm the lazy ass that clicked cartons :D

But I have an excuse, we only use it once every few days!

we used to make the bottles with water and then add the formula as and when we needed it :D

I started with making fresh each time but it then took too long for the bottle to be cool enough then my sis-in-law suggested 1/2 filling a bottle with water and then when needed add hot and the formula, it was a lifesaver, specially the middle of the night feeds

I make up water and add formula when needed. But if I've made cartons I won't use after 24 hours.

I keep the water in the fridge then make up the feed as needed. I dont use water more than 24 hours old though

i do it how ive always done it with my others, make up all the bottles for that day, i know your not ment too but all mine are fine

i also just boil up water and add powder as and when its needed, but i dont keep water in fridge.

I started by putting cooled water in fridge and adding powder.
at five months i made up bottles for 24 hours.
I find both exactly the same, but do worry when we go out for the day that the bottle may go off... :D

I make all my bottles up for the day, so each night im making up a fresh batch and have done it for both my kids :D

I only make 6 now as well though as she has really settled down and has recently started solids as well.

As long as the water and powder are only mixed just before feeding, its fine to pre-make bottles, its once the powder and water mix that if left bad bacteria can grow, but again I know mums who pre-make with powder and their LO's are fine so whatever you feel is right :hug:

However, I've noticed with Isaac's stage 2 HiPP formula, that trying to mix powder in cold water does not work, so have to make a hot bottle fresh each time. Very best wishes :hug:

i asked is because i went to breast feeding workshop yesterday,

midwife said you cant make up feeds in advance now. government guidelines state u have to make up each bottle before each feed. due to bacteria being in the powder..

i said that i was a member of this forum.. and that when calamitygem asked what she should be doing most of the advise was to make up bottles and store for up to 24 hrs.. so was just curious.. seems most peoples knowledge is make up and store.. where as your not supposed to.. as it can cause babys to have bad tums..

A woman at my postnatal group would feed her baby a bottle and wouldn't open a new one until the old one was completely finished.......even if it was 6 hours later. The HV told her it was bad for baby but she still done it.

My niece had a baby a few weeks ago and was told to only make up a bottle just before it's going to be used from scratch! :shock:

I wonder if this new advice is to promote breastfeeding by making bottle feeding seem even more of an inconvenience? :think:

If the breastfeeding fails for me I'll be making up a days worth of feeds the night before and storing them in the fridge for 24 hours.
I always chuck away a feed after an hour though once it's been reheated. 6 hours is plenty of time for bugs to grow! :shock:

yeah well.. agree'd in the fact u cant control what people do.. i was just curious if people were being told the right info by their midwives/hv's

personally.. i cant understand why women would want to risk their babys health by doing thigns like that.. but there we go

5 yrs ago.. we could make up 24 hrs worth off feeds n store in fridge.. charl never got sick.. i think most babys get sick due to things not being sterilised properly..but i havent re-searched or done any studies on it.. and i suppose the guidelines wouldnt be there if there wasnt some sort of concern..

make them up night, cool rapidly in the sink and refrigerate them overnight and they get used within 24 hours, always have done it this way and no problems.

i make them up for the whole day, i tried making them as you go but if you use cooled down water it didnt disolve properly and i always ended with lumps so i went bk to how i always did it with dd1 and its much easier and more convenient if ya need go out anywhere or if other people are looking after them for a few hours etc.

xxxxx

willow is on 2 bottles a day now i just put boiling water in th bottles and then keep it stored in the cupboard and add the powder before each feed.

I sterilise and fill the bottles with water the night before, and leaved them on the side, then when I need a bottle (which is only three now) I just add the powder. Thomas has always taken his milk at room temperature anyway so we are lucky. I would advise giving lo room temp from the start as it makes life a lot easier!!

I started doing them one by one as and when they were needed but it's not easy, I changed to doing what other people suggested (water then add powder as needed) Until I was told reason you needed to add powder to water when boiled is cos powder isn't sterile and contains germs :doh:

Sooooo I reverted back to way all my family have ever made bottles up for there LO's.. on a morning a make up ones for the day :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back