Breast Feeding

Louise1973

Reaction score
Hi all you mums,

I have a few questions regarding breast feeding. I want to do this for as long as possible, but really wanted some stats on how you go about weaning or using bottles etc. so:

- I've read that babies should be milk feed 100% til their around 6months old. At this time - how many milk feeds are they generally having & which ones do you start replacing with solids?

- If you are ONLY breastfeeding, how well does a baby take to bottles after having breast 100% of the time.

- When people talk about weaning a baby are we talking about weaning onto bottles where milk is still given or is this when milk goes out of the diet completely. If so what is it replaced with - water, juice what?

- At what age can babies go onto normal cows milk?

It's all so confusing! :?

Cheers

I think they should steer clear of cows milk for a year. Don't know about introducing solids because I've only been feeding for 2.5 weeks!!! BUT my baby feeds about every 2/3 hours except around 4pm when he has a grazing period and would feed all the time!

its hard to answer how much milk a 6-month-old breast-fed baby is taking coz u cant see the milk going in. i put millie to my breast countless times in the day (maybe 20 or so!) but shes usually only on for a few minutes. sometimes shell hav a proper feed and be 5-10 minutes.

if u are gonna breast-feed bear in mind that the first 3 weeks are really tough- because u and ur baby are both learning, and ur baby might be on for an hour at a time, every 3 hours, coz theyre still learning how to feed.

some breast-fed babies take to bottles really well- mine didnt! shes kinda ok with them now but iv still not tried her on formula and only occasionally got her to take boiled water and expressed breast milk.

weaning usually means gradually taking ur baby off milk and onto solids. im only just starting this so some other mums with older babies can help u with this one but i think cooled boiled water is the drink to replace fluids with or diluted fruit juice.
they cant hav cows milk until they are 12 months old.

hope that helps :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back