Breast Feeding

Just wanted to say I don't think Sitech intended to upset people just give some good info.

Like you all said it's a choice to be made, one of the first in a long line as parents.

And this will soon be a thing of the past when they are teenagers (ok that's a long way off) but we won't remember how long we bf for or anything), there is so much more to bringing up a baby and this is such a small part of it. Yes, it's important but in a few years we will be onto more important stuff to worry about as there is always something ;)

Beanie you should be telling that to SITECH about putting other people/views down and NOT me...Insinuating that we are putting our kids at a disadvantage for not bf.. Ridiculous. And I am getting picked up on my comment? :talkhand:

beanie said:
This thread is is a good chance to explain the benefits of breastfeeding to expecting mums, and there are proven benefits. It is also a good place to show new mums that breastfeeding isn't very straight forward and that at times formula is needed. It is a very emotive subject but we all need to be respectful about ewachothers choices. Putting someone down or saying their choice is "not right" is not what this thread is about.

This part of my thread was general to everyone reading this thread. Perhaps I should have made that clearer, I thought I had done so by putting it in a new paragraph and using "we all". I did use your "its not right" phrase as it was the most recent one and it was shorter then Sitech's phrases. I repeat we ALL need to be respectful when posting.

I quoted your post about the intelligence as I felt that the message about the intelligence was getting confused and that just because research had shopwn that it can raise intelligence it does not mean bf children are clever and ff children are not. If anyone has any issues with what someone says please PM one of the mods.

Sorry, I really didn't want to get involved in this, as I just wanted this thread to be a nice POSITIVE place for mums-to be to get some good facts when making their decisions about feeding.

I am not willing to get dragged into a big debate, and I truly believe that if a mom TRIES breastfeeding and discovers it's not suitable for her baby then she should consult her MW for advice, support and formula feeding information.

However this:
whatever choice any of the expectant mums make then you will not be putting your baby at a disadvantage.

Is not factually correct in my opinion. I am only going on what I have been told, anyone who wishes to know what I have been told can check this link

I personally think it's important for an expectant mom to give breastfeeding a go, then make an informed choice after trying it. One days worth of breastfeeding is better than not trying it at all.

I'm not saying this to make anyone who tried breastfeeding and switched to formula feel bad, presumably the reason you tried breastfeeding in the first place was because you had already been told the benefits of it and wanted to give your baby the best start possible. Well done for giving it a go!

I agree, I would urge anyone to try it, but it's not for everyone. And those who do not wish to try it at all, don't feel bad, it's a personal choice.

I tried, but it was too agony, but for those who can do it, I commend you as it's not easy.

Beanie, the wires have been getting crossed. I didn't mean to sound snappy, but I am one of those people that felt a failed mum and seriously guilty about not being able to breastfeed Rebecca, and it's taken me months to get that view out my head. I tried for weeks, with blistered and bleeding nipples etc, and I was crying in pain everytime I fed her, so I gave up under the advice of my HV.

But I would advise those new mums contemplating it, try it. One thing I learnt tho, is that it isn't as easy as it looks, and is a mammoth of a task to get the latching on right, but worth it in the end!! :dance:

K X said:
Beanie, the wires have been getting crossed. I didn't mean to sound snappy, but I am one of those people that felt a failed mum and seriously guilty about not being able to breastfeed Rebecca, and it's taken me months to get that view out my head. I tried for weeks, with blistered and bleeding nipples etc, and I was crying in pain everytime I fed her, so I gave up under the advice of my HV.

Kx
Group-Hug.gif
You are not a failed mum, I would much rather go through labour again then have my blistered nipples back. To new mums if you are having any pain whilsyt feeding please contact your midwife or HV who should help you to position baby right.

ok so everyone has their own opinions on BF i tried and gave up for personal reasons after a day or so. But if someone doesnt want to do it full stop and doesnt try then why is that baby disadvantaged?! its still got loving parents that are doing their best for their baby just because its mum didnt BF doesnt mean its a bad choice. This subject is very close to peoples hearts obviously and i personally think it needs to be locked. If expectant mums want advice then sitech has offered or they could start another thread with their query but this is just turning into one long debate

I think what was meant was that there are benefits to breastfeeding. I personally think that it is important that people are aware of the feeding options out there and are able to make an informed choice on that information. In my opinion formula is not bad for a baby, as there are situations where it can save lives or provide nutrition where a mother is unable to (I gave my baby formula and will probably do so again in the future), its more the case of its not as beneficial health wise etc for the baby as breast milk and research has shown this. I don't personally think that this thread has made out that formula feeding mums have in any way love their child less. For that reason I am not locking the thread at this moment as I hope it can be a place for new mums to get information about the benefits of breastfeeding.

I was bottle fed, I'm a bright lass but was forever sick with colds and bugs and suffered from bad eczema when I was a nipper, this is the main reason behind my wanting to attempt breast feeding when it comes to it (that and the added incentive of burning 500 calories a day!) but if I don't get on with it, I will definitely bottle feed, I've seen the hell some women have gone through, the pain and the anguish (my own mother suffered horrendously), I don't think women realise how lucky they are when breast feeding comes easy to them. Got my fingers crossed.

My questions for the Mums is: My sister in law has recently given birth and when I hold baby I find it very difficult to hold him close as my boobs are too big already, I'm scared that I won't be able to comfortably support my little one when the time comes. My sister jumped from a B to an E when her milk came in, I was a DD pre-pregnancy, how big can they get?! I need to by some Breastfeeding bra's whilst I can still get to the shops, what size do you go for?! Silly questions but got no one else to ask, its less embarrassing on here.

Kat x

I am going to try and breast feed and would love it to all go well, but I agree that if you do not want to try then that is fine, yes human breast milk is the most natural form of baby feed but if its not for you then fine!

I do have a question i wonder someone could help me with, I am not scared of failing in breast feeding, looks like it is very hard work and it takes a trained mummy and baby! ..... BUT i am very worried at the moment about the first few weeks of my babies life...

If i choose to breast feed this mean i will be souly responsible for EVERY FEED, and will not get more then a 2-3hr sleep pattern day OR night! no help from OH. How will i cope with this?? xxxxx

Hi hun. With regards to your breastfeeding bras if you go to mothercare they will help you there with the measurements. They automatically add on three cup sizes I think but am not 100% sure. In regards to feeding you should be shown how to position baby by your midwife. I would advise getting a breastfeeding pillow and with large breasts you may find it easier if you use one hand to support your breast underneath. Its difficult for me to explain without actually showing so I'll see if I can find a link.

I don't think women realise how lucky they are when breast feeding comes easy to them.
I was talking to a lady at my local breastfeeding support group and I was saying "how have you found it" etc and she was telling me how she had found it a breeze, no soreness nothing and her baby didn't cluster feed. I restrained myself from strangling her lol

katastrophic said:
My questions for the Mums is: My sister in law has recently given birth and when I hold baby I find it very difficult to hold him close as my boobs are too big already, I'm scared that I won't be able to comfortably support my little one when the time comes.
I'm not that big but I'm sure you will just find the right position to hold your baby comfortably, don't worry.

I need to by some Breastfeeding bra's whilst I can still get to the shops, what size do you go for?! Silly questions but got no one else to ask, its less embarrassing on here.

Don't be embarrassed at all! The best time is at around 37/38 weeks. I'd recommend buying a couple then, then going back after the birth for a couple more just in case...M and S do 2 in a box, one black one white for 25 quid, I thought that was a bargain.

keely&bump said:
If i choose to breast feed this mean i will be souly responsible for EVERY FEED, and will not get more then a 2-3hr sleep pattern day OR night! no help from OH. How will i cope with this?? xxxxx

It can be hard, the key is, as with anyone with a brand new baby, rest when the baby rests, and ask for help if you need it.

You OH might not be able to feed straight away until you can express, but that doesn't mean he can't do the baths and bum changes, the hoovering and the shopping etc.
You will be the only nurturing you child, that is true, but the feeling of accomplishment that gives you, along with the knowledge that you are giving your child a great start in life is a wonderful thing.

Kat honey i was a 30E before isla was born, went up to a 38G when she was being breastfed and am now a 34E, i know jst how big boobs can get!!!! :shock: LOL they go back to normal tho and they dont get in the way, just you might feel you need a pushcahir to wheel your boobs around on!!! :wink:

After 8 weeks tho i am lighter and smaller than pre preg so it isnt all bad!! :angel: and thats with only breastfeeding for 8 days!

I have just made a breastfeeding support thread here for any questions or advice you might need :D

THREE SIZES! Oh my god I'm going to look like Jordan! :shock:

Thanks ladies!

Kat x

katastrophic said:
My questions for the Mums is: My sister in law has recently given birth and when I hold baby I find it very difficult to hold him close as my boobs are too big already, I'm scared that I won't be able to comfortably support my little one when the time comes.

Hi, My SIL has enormous boobs that she describes as "pendulums"! She rolled up a flannel and placed it under her boob to help her get a nice comfy andle to feed her little boy.

The majority of women I've spoken to have all suffered from pain in the early days of breastfeeding, myself included, so the best advice I can give you is if you experience any pain whilst bf take the baby off and latch them on again. This will hopefully let you avoid the cracked nipples etc. I'd also buy a tube of Lasinoh cream and rub it on your nipples after every feed (you don't need to wipe it off before the baby feeds). It's amzing stuff and healed my nips wonderfully!

keely&bump said:
I'll be honest, I found it really hard to begin with but I mostly fed Olivia lying down in bed so I got rest that way and as I was so sore from birth I appreciated HAVING to sit down to feed!
You can also express milk to give your baby a bottle, although most people advise waiting until 6 wks to do this to make sure your supply isn't affected and so that your baby doesn't get nipple confusion".

If you want advice then this forum is a great port of call, I was so close to giving up but after receiving guidance here it helped me to keep going and I am really glad that I did.

All the best,

Lucy

Hi everyone,

This is obviously a highly emotive subject, but it is good that forums such as PregnancyForum.co.uk are open to discussions like these, where new Mums can get a variety of opinions and advice; but at the end of it all, you are the one that is caring for your baby and you will decide what is best for you and your baby.

Please let me assure you that although I breast fed my last child for many years, it did NOT come easily or naturally. Indeed, I felt unable to breast feed my first two children and began bottle feeding very early on... within weeks of their birth in fact. I condemn noone for choosing to do that and having done so myself, would in fact be condemning myself as a Mother and parent. I felt it was right at the time.

However, I therefore am in a position to tell you the benefits of breast feeding my baby as opposed to bottle feeding. Is she any cleverer than my bottle fed babies... No. She isn't. Is she healthier. Probably. I cannot tell if that is down to bf or not. Are any of them obese.. No. More intelligent. No. In fact, one of my bottle fed children (although I breast fed all in the first couple of weeks) is highly intelligent, completing GCSE's over a year earlier than most children and in a state school (no extra tuition). I certainly wouldn't want any Mother to feel guilty at choosing not to BF. We are lucky in this country, we do have a choice... yes and clean water too.

Breast feeding didn't come naturally to me and I would say that I had to really work at it. After about 6-8 weeks, I thought about giving up because my nipples were sooooooo sore! A friend of mine, also breast feeding suggested this would pass and then meanwhile, her midwife had suggested using her own milk to rub over the nipples before a feed. Did it still hurt?..... Ooooooooooo, yes!! It certainly did. However, it passed and then I really, really benefited.

I didn't have to really wake up during the night and I certainly wasn't as tired as I was with my first two babies. In fact, I honestly didn't feel sleep deprived at all! I felt a real freedom in being able to go out for a whole day and not have to carry 4-6 bottles full of milk, nor worry about warming them, or worry if it fell on the floor. I never expressed and stayed at home with my baby. I did still go out, but not in the early days and you tend to know when your baby will sleep. I think my breast fed baby was probably the most content of all my babies.

I actually felt more relaxed because I HAD to sit down to feed my baby. In hindsight, I really wish I had persevered and breast fed my first two children. I am not going to beat myself up about it however, there is no point... but I wish I had tried a little harder. I simply would like to give you the benefit of my experiences.

No it isn't easy. Is it worth it? Most Definitely!

Kind Regards
Sitech
xxx

I think your story is very inspiring for all mums and mums to be!
Great... :wink:

Emilia xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back