Swaddling vs Sleeping Bag or fleece sleep suits?

Aida

Reaction score
Hiya :)

Happy new Year to all of you ladies first of all because I don't think I have posted once since the new year although I've been reading as many topics as I could :hug: :hug: :hug:

I have these questions:

For the first 3 months, what from your experience, is the better option for night time ? I was advised not to bother with either of them and use fleece sleep suits instead of cotton ones but I'm scared of overheating and not sure if they are suitable for newborns whereas sleeping bags (and dressing baby in vest and cotton sleep suit) seem to regulate baby's temperature better. And what about swaddling? Is it a better solution or is it claustrophobic for baby? Also, being so tightly wrapped, would he be able to turn over when he throws up ?

From 3 months on, it will be summer, so I'm only concerned about the first 3 months as regards the cold weather. Down here it's extremely hot in summer so I will cross that bridge when I get to it...

Thanks xxxxxxxxxxxx

Its one of those questions that depends on your LO really,

My boy was never swaddled and just had fleece sleepsuits on if it was cold, he co slept with us all the time so swaddling wasnt needed really, Sleeping bags weren't around when I had him.

My girl slept on her own for the first part of the night and we co sleep after he wakes for her first feed. When she was tiny she only settled during the first few weeks if she was swaddled and one blanket was more than enough even on the coldest days, when it was warmer i used muslin to swaddle. As she got bigger she wriggled free from the swaddle but cried to be put back in so we exchanged to a sleeping bag and she adjusted well, fleece sleep suits are just as good IMO

Esme used to roll onto her side when she was little and being swaddled actually helped. When they are sick they usually dont botther moving just let it roll down their necks :puke:

Depends on your baby really.

I'd personally not use a fleece type sleepsuit on a small baby. I'd use cotton vest or long sleeved bodysuit and sleepsuit only. And layer accordingly.

We opted for a sleeping bag from birth and got one suitable from 7.7lb upwards, so it was fine for our LO to use. Just had to make sure to do up the side poppers so it was a closer fit and then as he got older we stopped doing those up.

Swaddling - wait and see when your baby arrives. We tried it with our son and he hated it. Wanted his arms free. So we never bothered.

We liked the sleeping bag as it was cosy for him, never came off if he kicked his legs like blankets can do and also made him feel wrapped up a bit I think. But allowed free movement of arms.

We haven't actually tried a sleeping bag with Kai yet as he loves being swaddled. It seems to help him feel asleep and he definitely gets sent off to sleep quicker when being swaddled as I think he feels safe. It also helps keep his arms constricted as he always wakes himself up by wriggling them and waving them around and hitting himself in the face :lol:

As others have said I'm sure it depends on your LO.

We just use sheets and blankets tucked under her arms, under the matress of the moses basket.

I have sleeping bags but just haven't used them yet as she's still too small for 2 of them (her head would slip through the head hole) and I think it'd be a bif of a hassle getting her in and out of the one we can use during the night for changes/feeding and would probably wake her up.

I've found that a vest, babygro, sheet and cellular blanket is enough so far but I will try sleeping bags at some point.

Happy new year :D

I like cotton vests, cotton baby grows (sleep suits) and a gro bag, (sleeping bag), the ones that go over each shoulder then popper down the front into a skirt. It keeps them warm, they can't kick it off and get cold and it also stops legs and feet getting trapped in cot bars :) I swaddled Isaac during the day when I could keep and eye on him but I don't like the idea of swaddling during the night.

:)

Hi, I live in a hot country but we have A/C all over..so a cotton bodysuit underneath (half sleeves) and a cotton sleepsuit or a footies as some call them was what I used + Swaddling... he felt so comfy when he was swaddled .. I used cotton jersey square cloth and swaddled him with it...at around 2 months+ he didn't feel comfortable being swaddled and started to bring his hands out so I knew then it was time to stop!

Im not a lover of the fleecy sleepsuits but am LOVING the toweled sleepsuits, they are so soft and must be comfy.
I agree it depends on your LO's personality and situation at the time.

We normally use sleepsuits with a reg babygrow and vest. But more recently his skin (He has XMA) has been frustrating him and we have found swaddling to be very helpful at this time although its a bit loser and we have his hands out.

I have just seen your due date and highly date in hot weather you will be swaddling or even using a sleeping bag so its worth keeping that in mind if its hot but if it isn't then just a sleeping bag is fine...

The gro bag/sleeping bags come in diferent togs too like duvets so you can have winter or summer ones :)

Thanks you've all been of great help girls :hug:

our house is new and really warm we struggle to get the temp below 21c so since birth Macey has slept in a cotton sleepsuit and a 1tog sleeping bag, you can get 0.5 tog ones if its really warm where you are , you may not even need one if its really hot where you are!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back