For those who make bottles for the day.

T84

Reaction score
I make all mine for the day and store in fridge as per the WHO guildelines. Once they are made up I quick cool them for 10 mins before putting them in the fridge. Anyway hubby has left them out for an hour by accident, will they still be ok to put in fridge now and use as normal? Thanks!

I didnt think you could make them up prior? could you let me know how - this would be a lifesaver!

I found it much quicker not making them up.

I'd measure out about 5 oz of boiling water into all the bottles, and leave them all on the side. Is then fill up a flask with boiling water. When I needed to make up a bottle, is use the hot water from the flask, up to 8oz and this was the perfect temperature. Add the powder give it a shake and voila :)

Same as seabrook; I found it quicker not to make them all up but used a slightly different method.

I would boil a kettle in the morning, wait 30 mins then put in a flask. Whenever I needed a bottle making I would just use that flask water. I re-filled the flask 2/3 times a day with fresh water just to make sure it was always correct temp. Very easy and quick!

surely by not putting boiling water onto the powder though you aren't sterilising the powder and therefore not killing the potential bacteria in the powder.

Normally people do a hot shot of boiling water, mix with powder then add cooled boiled water.

water needs to be 70 degrees minimum to kill bacteria which is why all the official recommendations say to boil a kettle, wait 30 mins then pour into a bottle and make up the feed.

Last edited:
I have a Tommee Tippee Perfect Prep machine, made up as and when as it only takes 2 minutes start to finish. Well worth the money! Apparently you shouldn't make up in advance but most women I know do this and their kids are fine! X

My point was a flask won't keep it the same temperature, so if you've waited 30 mins the chances are the flask water will drop below the required temp.

Boiling water will scorch the powder. And the hipp organic formula I used has pre biotics in, which are killed off in hot/boiling water.

My son was absolutely fine using that method. All bottles and water used was sterile. I know that formula isn't, but come on, it's not like it's contaminated with germs or anything.

I put bottles in the fridge and hsve done for 4 months and no problems.

Boiling water will scorch the powder. And the hipp organic formula I used has pre biotics in, which are killed off in hot/boiling water.

My son was absolutely fine using that method. All bottles and water used was sterile. I know that formula isn't, but come on, it's not like it's contaminated with germs or anything.

Actually there have been cases of salmonella in milk powder.

http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/pregnancy-and-baby/pages/making-up-infant-formula.aspx

Last edited:
This is ok to be left out for an hour, you are allowed to keep them at room temp for two hours. I also mak up bottles and leave in fridge its so much quicker than making fresh everytime x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back