Storing Bottles

stephlw25

Reaction score
Just a quick question for mums who bottle feed, or have done in the past etc!!

Just a bit confussed, so far with jamie i have been making up the bottles in the morning then storing them in the fridge so that they are there for when i need them (this is what midwife said to do)

But... ive just read in my baby book that you should not store bottles and you should make them up as and when you need them????

So just wondering what other mums who bottle fed do??

Greatful of any advice!!!

I make the bottles up as I go. When using the powdered formula...it's much quicker to warm it up rather than having to warm a chilled bottle from the fridge. Ava likes hers at room temperature anyway so all I have to do is make it and go! :)

Thanks for replying, do you use bolied water from the kettle?? sorry seems like silly question!! its just sometime the water in the kettle is too hot to use to make up the formula with (if that makes sence!!!!!) so easier if it was already made up with the bolied water?!
just curious what others do, as im confused as to what is best!!

sorry im not a NEW mommy but as i have kylie already then i kinda no so..
i used to make up her bottles as i went along unless we were going out then i would make 1 and shuv it in my bag
now she drinks apple juice mainly lol and squash out of her bottle but at nite she has warm milk
xxx

Hi Steph,

Again some books say do it as you go along, but that is not too practical when you have to wait for the boiled water to cool.

I breast feed but do a bottle at night and the info that the Royal Surrey County Hospital gave to me (and a midwife there told me), make up a batch of them in the morning for the day ahead, as long as you use them within 24 hours that's fine, and discard the feeds that go over this time.

Use your instincts with what works best for you babe.

xx

hi steph when my son was a baby i used to make enough to last 24 hours and store them in the fridge its so much easier than making them as you go along and i will be doing the same on this baby. at the end of the day you need to do whats right for you and your baby so if you feel more comfortable making them up as you need them or if you want to do them for the day either way is fine, just make sure you throw away any thats not used within the 24 hours xxxxxx

Thanks very much for all your replies, so far i have been making up bottles for what i need during the day and storing them in the fridge, so after reading that you should make them as you go kind of confused me a bit as i thought i was doing it wrong!!!! :?
Well think i am going to continue making them up and storing them in the fridge for the day as its a bit more practical and as least they are there for when i need them!!!
Thanks guys x x

The way i used to do it is to put the boiled water into a bottle and store that in the fridge, then when it was feeding time i used to heat the bottle as i would normally and then add the milk powder, because i read that bacteria can build up in milk and if its kept in a fridge because of it being opened and closed all the time it might make the baby poorly, i used the same method with both of my children and again with the new one and it seems to be quite efficient. unless going out obviously then i need to make it before i go.
Hope that makes sense and maybe helps a bit

wow thats a really good idea lyn, thank you for that!

I make them up in the morning, haven't got time to do them as I go along.

i make mine up in the evening and atore them in the fridge...i make them up about 10pm and then they are there when i need them...danielle has been fine with that

HI i make 5 bottles every night be4 i go tobed i make them with boiled water then but them in my sink with cold water to cool them fast then they go in the fridge i do it every night at the same time i change sterilzing fluid and do my washing up, ready for the next day :)....
BUT ALWAYS REMEBER MAKE SURE BOTTLES ARE COLD B4 THEY GO IN FRIDGE! :lol:

i boil the kettle and pour it in a massive pitcher jug thing to cool then put in bottles and add milk so ive always got 4 bottles in the fridge ready to go :D

I boil up water and keep it in a separate container at room temperature. So when she's hungry all I have to do is pour water, add the formula, and shake. She takes the bottle at room temperature. I'm confused because everyone keeps talking about it taking too much time to make them as you go along, but it literally takes me 30 seconds! :?

In Florida, I'd just buy Nursery water and use that as is. I haven't really looked at the water while we've been shopping here. Is there not any that you can just buy, rather than boil?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back