Question for Bottle Feeding mums?

Rachaellius

Reaction score
Do you make up bottles and refridgerate them??

I'm currently feeding Phoebe aptimil first milk. But my midwife has told me not to put them in the fridge and that you should make up a bottle as and when its needed. Trouble is that takes forever waiting for the kettle to cool down and Phoebe is not that patient lol. Plus what are you supposed to do when you go out!?

Other mums though have told me they make them up and put them in the fridge and its worked fine for them. What do you all do?

xx

We made 3 up at a time and put them in the fridge and our lo was fine hun :) they're always changing everything, it used to be fine to do this a few years ago x x

Last edited:
We made them all in one go, sterilised them, filled with boiling water and then put the tips an lids on and just left them to cool on the side. To heat them we just put them in a jug of hot water (sometimes microwaved them) and then added the powder when it was warm enough. We've done that from day one and never had a problem :)

If you do microwave them make sure you take the lid and teat off and then shake really well after you've added milk to get rid of hotspots x

I used aptamil liquid, but when i switched to cow and gate i premade my bottles for the day and kept the, in the fridge!!

If i knew i had to go out i filled a bottle with boiling water, left it to cool on the side, and took the powder out with me in one of those dispenser things and made it up as needed. My lo was fine drinking at room temp which saved finding somewhere to heat it up!

You should always add the powder when the water is piping, because the biggest risk of contamination is in the powder before it is made... Really f the bottles are sterilised and the kids are on, there should be no risk of contamination from the made milk being in the bottles...

Last edited:
I make up LO's bottles each night for the next day and leave them on the side. I add the formula powder when needed and give him the milk at room temperature. I've never had a problem doing it like this. If I'm going out I just take a dispenser with the powder in it and add it to the water.
My aunties are both midwives and said that there is no problem doing it like this.

I make them up as I go, but my lo feeds like clockwork so its easier for me. An hour before she is due to be fed I just need to remember to pop the kettle on!

You should add the water while it is still hot to kill bacteria, but not boiling otherwise it will de-nature all the vitamins etc.

I know loads of people that make them up in advance and their babies are fine, I would just hate my lo to be sick because of something that I did so I make them up as I go.

Personally I boil water and fill up to a point then when I'm ready to use boil kettle add fresh water to how mych i need and gets it warm to the right temp ( after practicing with amounts I get it perfect now hah) so no need to mess with jugs heating it. then add my milk . I don't refrigerate the water in the bottle either xx

I sterilise all the bottles and fill them with cooled boiled water and then just add the powder when I need it

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using Tapatalk

when my bottles are steralised I put the boiling water in , and as i need them I heat the water again and add formula as reccomended by an infant dietican :) x

Last edited:
Chloe has 9 oz so as soon as i make her a bottle I put boiling water in another upto 4 oz and leave it on the side then when she is hungry for a bottle I boil the kettle upto the 9 then add the powder it dissolves great and I haven't re heated it and it's prefect temp so if it needs re heating after she had it I can re heat it then I have to throw it away after 2 hrs (she is on 1-2yr milk) xxx

Thats a really goos idea evie ! I may steal that xx

Chloe has 9 oz so as soon as i make her a bottle I put boiling water in another upto 4 oz and leave it on the side then when she is hungry for a bottle I boil the kettle upto the 9 then add the powder it dissolves great and I haven't re heated it and it's prefect temp so if it needs re heating after she had it I can re heat it then I have to throw it away after 2 hrs (she is on 1-2yr milk) xxx

Me too :) but Owens on first milk lol

Great thanks girlies. Some great ideas on how to do it. I have been refridgerating them and then my mw told me I shouldnt so I've been really worried I've been giving her the wrong thing :/ xx

Initially I made up three in advance and kept them in the fridge. But now I just make them up fresh. I've read too much about babies becoming ill from not following guidelines. Re: what Dragonfly Fi said; I agree. I wouldn't add powder to cooled down water, it carries a certain type of bacteria that needs to be killed with boiling water. x

Last edited:
With my first you made up all the days bottles at one time & wait to cool then store in fridge & heat with jug boiled water...with this LO, I assumed it was still the same guidelines, and did it that way for about 2 wks or something, an i think it was on here or somewhere else ppl were saying thats wrong u need to make fresh. It seemed like so much hassle esp when i was used 2 the easy way but I ended up feeling so so bad about it over a cpl days that i started doing it exact on tin...

Then it got exhausting having to wait for the water to cool ect - so I have worked out a slightly easier way (no doubt there will be some reason I shouldn't do it...) I have 3 dr brown bottles thats the only ones LO uses & 6 tommee tippee....I sterilise all...put 2oz of boiled water in all the 6 tommee tippees, wait to cool then put in fridge. When he needs a feed, I boil the kettle, take one of the cold 2oz bottles out, I then pour boiling water into the dr.browns (3oz) then add the formula & mix, I then add the cooled down boiled..this makes the bottles perfect temp, no messing about with cooling them down & it means bacteria in formula is killed & its not left sitting either. & I buy the cartons for when I go out.

:)

I read this on the Internet somewhere and have been doing it for the last 2-3 weeks and not had a problem. I sterilise the bottles, boil the kettle, leave to cool for no longer than 30 mins and then add the powder as normal then put them in the back of the fridge and use a bottle warmer when needed and the bottles are ok in the fridge for 24 hours. Even my health visitor agreed the guidlines are a bit too strict nowadays and she had twins and used to make as many as 24 bottles in advance. I only make 3 feeds for the night in advance and make up daytime feeds fresh x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back