For those who exclusively express

Mrsmac1507

Reaction score
My little boy was born 6 days ago, and due to medical problems he has he is physically unable to bf or suck from bottle. I have been try to express since first by stimulating by hand ( no joy) and now using a pump. Milk only came in today and I'm expressing very little ( about 10 ml after 25 mins of pumping. Just wondering how much others managed to express without the actual experience of baby suckling?

The more you express the more your body will make
You need to be expressing about 8 times adag including once in the night
Hope this helps the more your doing it the bigger the quantity!!
Try having your baby with you or a picture of your baby if this is not possible x

My little boy was born 6 days ago, and due to medical problems he has he is physically unable to bf or suck from bottle. I have been try to express since first by stimulating by hand ( no joy) and now using a pump. Milk only came in today and I'm expressing very little ( about 10 ml after 25 mins of pumping. Just wondering how much others managed to express without the actual experience of baby suckling?

She's not been on much recently - but if you pm tweety, she is the authority on exclusive pumping, she did it for months with her LO. X

Good tip is to keep pumping 5 minutes after your milk has stopped flowing - it tricks your body into thinking more milk is needed so will produce more.
I had problems getting my supply up at first so I expressed every 2 hours till I had enough supply (8 weeks for me) then I could drop some of the night ones.
I rented a double pump which was brilliant.
Try and relax when doing it - easier said than done! Look through pictures on your phone of lo or play candy crush! The distraction really helps and stops you watching how much milk is coming out.

It's slow to begin with. 10ml is quite good given your difficulties. Just keep going. Having the baby near you will help as well and sometimes feeding at the same time as expressing can be helpful as it teaches your body to respond to the baby's cues. Pavlovian style!

10 ml really doesnt sound bad if your milk only just came in. The important thing is that you are getting milk. Now you just have to work on building up your supply.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back