food... pain killers.... etc - help

hayley

Reaction score
Hi

Recently got my BFP and still floating in that cloud of happiness...

I've told close friends and a few family members... everyone wants to give me advise.. especially on what foods i can eat! if i believe everything i'm told then the only food i can eat is brown bread! dry!

If i give a few foods can you let me know if its a no go or okay - please

1. sweetner - i only use sweetner in my tea...do i have to switch to sugar?
2. prawns - prawn cocktail
3. smoked salmon
4. nuts
5. egg - is it okay if they are hard boiled?
6. sauces with egg (eg ceasar salad dressing - my fav)
7. meat with slight pink in the middle (i usually eat it raw - but if it's medium is it okay)
8. quiche - think it's made with egg
9. cheese cake
10. cheddar cheese - i'm sure this is the only one we can eat.

I know we can't eat pate - which is another fav or mine...

x

Hi Hayley,

Firstly congratulations!!!!!!!

I personnaly disliked this part of being pregnant. I did find every one has a different opinion, and it can get so confusing. I read a few books etc and in the end decided to go with my own gut feeling.

so here goes with what I have/havent done over the last 26 weeks!

I always use sweetener for my cereal and havent changed that
I have avoided sea food, something about micro organisms or something that may harm the baby
I dont like smoked salmon, but im sure your ok with this
you only have to avoid nuts if you had an allergie before
eggs are perfectly fine if they are hard boiled, although I have had a few runny eggs along the way myself.
sauces you only need to be careful if it has raw egg in, I eat it if it says pasturized egg.
Meat you are supposed to eat this thoroughly cooked and not pink
quiche, same again if its raw egg be careful if its pasturized I would eat it.
Cheese cake im really not sure. id read the label and then decide
Cheese, you only need to avoid the soft smelly ones like brie, camenbare (excuse the spelling) all others ive carried on eating.

Hope this is some help to you.

forgot to say, you are allowed to take paracetomal when pregnant, as long as you stick with the recommended daily amount.

Hello

I'm not too great on meat or fish as I'm veggie but hard boiled eggs are fine, cheese cake is ok if it's from a shop as the cheese will be pasturised.

This link may help:
http://www.hebs.scot.nhs.uk/readysteady ... oavoid.htm

By the way, in a couple of weeks you probably won't want to eat anything but dry bread :lol: :lol: :lol: (the joys of morning sickness).

So pleased for you - you've waited such a long time so don't let people scare you with their stories. You'll be fine!

hayley said:
1. sweetner - i only use sweetner in my tea...do i have to switch to sugar?
2. prawns - prawn cocktail
3. smoked salmon
4. nuts
5. egg - is it okay if they are hard boiled?
6. sauces with egg (eg ceasar salad dressing - my fav)
7. meat with slight pink in the middle (i usually eat it raw - but if it's medium is it okay)
8. quiche - think it's made with egg
9. cheese cake
10. cheddar cheese - i'm sure this is the only one we can eat.

These are what I've been following since bing PG but haven't really changed my diet at all.

1. This is fine
2. Fresh seafood isn't recommended. I go by the meat/fish rule that if it's not cooked well it's not okie.
3. As above unless it's cooked which is fine
4. All nuts are fine except peanuts which should be avoided if there is a peanut allergy in the family, or anyone in the immediate family has eczema or asthma. Saying that, I had terrible eczema as a child and have asthma mildly now and haven't avoided peanuts as they don't effect me or anyone else in my family. I just don't eat them on their own.
5. Cooked egg is fine, raw egg shouldn't be eaten due to the risk of salmonella (sp?). Pasturized egg in food mixes are fine too.
6. I have eaten ceaser salad dressing since being PG, it's more the risk of contracting salmonella and if you're PG it can have terrible effects o the baby. Don't know if it has raw egg in it though - I stear away from all dressings now just incase.
7. No pink meat - only cremated I'm afraid.
8. Quiche is usually okie when cooked. Check ingredients lists - if it's pasturized it's fine. If it's not then I'd avoid it.
9. Cheesecake - usually fine if bought from a shop as they use pasturized ingredients to make it last longer. Check the ingredients list...pasturized is fine. Fresh isn't usually but check with the supplier.
10. Hard cheese is fine - especially chedder. Soft/Blue Vein/Goats cheese are not okie to eat. However, pasturized soft cheese such as Phyllidelphia (sp?), babybel, etc are fine.

They are the rules I stick to....pasturized/cooked dairy produce is fine, fresh is not. But people eat different things really and still have healthy babies.

If you eat Mayo (my biggest phobia) then Hellman's is fine.

HTH!! xx

thanks ladies...

that helped loads.... i tend to eat everything and anything... cooked or not! so it looks like i'm gonna have to spend a little more time in the kitchen burning those steaks...

x

Definately mate - and as for painkillers as your title asks, paracetomol is fine - even the max dose on the packet. Although after a few days of symptoms contact GP to make sure everything is fine. Co-codomol can be taken but preferably prescribed.

Enjoy your cremated steaks :lol: the little ones are so worth it :D

Another one that I choose to avoid is peanuts.

This is because I read an article about a baby who had a severe reaction to a peanut and his mum was told it was likely to be down to her high consumption of peanut butter during pregnancy so I have just decided to avoid them on the face of that.

There are lots of opinions on this though and I'm not saying its right.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back