food and pregnancy

lealea85

Reaction score
I havent got a midwife as of yet but i was curious if anyone knew what foods your suppose to avoid during preganancy.
all the websites ive looked on have tolde me to stay away from microwaves, cats and soft cheese.
is it true that i cannot use a microwave?

and are there any foods im not suppose to eat?

im sorry to keep asking questions i really have no clue :wall2:

Microwaves??!! ha ha. I've not heard of that. I hope that isn't true because i've been hammering mine!!

Off the top of my head, you should avoid pate, runny eggs, undercooked and raw meat, certain soft cheeses, too much caffeine, certain fishes (swordfish... erm... can't think of any others), limit canned tuna.

Hmmmm... can't think of any more. It's the undercooked meat I struggle with. I like my steaks still mooing and i'm missing that badly.

Just had my booking in to refresh my brain, the fish to avoid was Marlin and swordfish and Tuna due to the mercury content they have taken in. No more than two cans of tuna a week! brought eg heinz majo is fine, just no fresh made mayo made from raw eggs.

No blue cheese, or cheese with rind eg Brie etc, any pasterised cheese is all good

I have bought the tetley decaf tea bags and they taste as good as the real stuff.

I was also told to stop taking my cod liver oil supplement. Make sure you take a folic acid tablet each day up to your 12th week.

Are you supposed to stop taking folic acid after 12 weeks? I didn't know that if so.

Janey

I don't know for sure but i was told it's important to take it in the first 12 weeks when your baby is forming, cut down on chances of spina bifida etc.

Thanks for that. I do take the pregnacare at the moment and that says to take it all though pregnancy. Don't want to overdose on Folic Acid after 12 weeks though. May ask my midwife about it.

hahahahaha still mooing. i love my steak medium/rare so that blows.

no brie!!! :'( i love tuna but only eat a small tin a week.
thanks though, at least i know what to right off when i go shopping (no more brie, mozerella n cheddar panini's :'(

im taking pregnacare too, i know there is folic acid in my fav cereal (weetabix) does tha mean i shouldnt eat it anymore incase i end up overdosing on folic acid and iron??

You'll never overdose on folic acid or iron so continue to take the pregnacare :) Folic acid has huge benefits throughout pg for blood development :)

i believe your not allowed to eat peanuts either?

is that just peanuts or other types of nuts aswell that your not suppose to eat? and also does that include nuts in stuff such as snickers and peanut butter etc?!?

thank you mamafy. i didnt wanna give up the weetabix. love that stuff. could eat it all the time.

i thought you couldnt eat peanuts only if ur partner has a nut allergy as the child could have it too. or is it bcos it will cause the baby to develope asthma/eczema???

I think you shouldn't eat peanuts if you or your partnerhave any type of allergies?

only things im llergic to are strawberries (bummer) and asprin.....he is like a hoover. eats everything, allergic to nothing. lol

The advice being given is changing all the time. I don't know everything but i have picked up alot of info from the midwife's at work for other pregnant women in the past.

Peanuts are fine to eat apparently but our midwife said don't eat lots....Saves me scrapping the nuts of my cornetto :)

Ive been asked about folic acid lots and well the benefits of this are for before 12 weeks but you wont overdose or harm your baby if your dates are abit out and you take it slightly after 12 weeks .

I'm wasn't sure why you couldnt eat peanuts - but then i cant eat them anyway, im seriously allergic to the buggers! because of this i didnt even read why i should avoid them! lol

I was mortified when i read about not eating certain cheeses but then i came across this and life wasnt so bad after all!!

Cheeses which are SAFE to eat in pregnancy

Hard cheeses:
Austrian smoked, Babybel, Caerphilly, Cheddar, Cheshire, Derby, Double Gloucester, Edam, Emmental, English goat's cheddar, feta, Gouda, Gruyere, Halloumi, Havarti, Jarlsberg, Lancashire, Manchego, Orkney, paneer, Parmesan, Pecorino (hard), Provolone, Red Leicester.

Soft and processed cheeses:
Boursin, cottage cheese, cream cheese, feta, goat's cheese without a white rind, mascarpone, mozzarella, Philadelphia, processed cheese (such as cheese spread), Quark, ricotta.

Yoghurts (all varieties), probiotic drinks, fromage frais, soured cream and crème fraîche - any variety, including natural, flavoured and biologically active - are all safe to eat.

Cheeses to AVOID in pregnancy

Mould-ripened soft cheeses:
Brie, Blue Brie, Cambozola, Camembert, Chaumes, chèvre (goats cheese with a white rind), Pont L'Eveque, Taleggio, Vacherin-Fribourgeois

Blue-veined cheeses:
Bergader, Bleu d'Auvergne, Blue Wensleydale, Shropshire Blue, Danish Blue, Dolcelatte, Gorgonzola, Roncal, Roquefort, Stilton, tomme, Wensleydale (blue).

Soft, unpasteurised cheese, including goat and sheep's cheeses:
Chabichou, Pyramide, Torta del Cesar.

Niccilove, u have saved my bacon.....i love cheese. philidelphia cheese, chives, grillec chicken in a bagel. woop woop.
thanks for clearing that up for me.
not really a fan of nuts...i just thought if something so random but i dnt think i should type it hahahahahaha

I nearly got a telling off form a work buddy yesterday because I had a primula spread sandwich but thats in the ok catagory and actually has a note on the label too :0)

I don't kno what I'd do without cheese it's my favorite thing after milk :)

i love cheese esp brie so i feel ur pain lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ARCHIATER
Back