Folic Acid

Peachy

Reaction score
Does anyone know the current advice about re-commencing folic acid supplements at around 30 weeks? I remember from my last pregnancy (9 yrs ago) that it was only prescribed in the first 12 weeks in the UK and since i am not in the UK and they do things differently here in Europe I don't know what current advice is. I know of recent research that has found that because the folds in the baby's brain are forming around 30 weeks or so that folic acid is again beneficial at this time but I am not sure how beneficial and whether or not it is policy in the UK to prescribe it in the 3rd trimester. Over here (Bulgaria) pregnant women are prescribed a special multi vitamin which contains high levels of folic acid. wondering if this is neccessary or not??? Can anyone help?

I only took it for the first 12 weeks and then stopped. I haven't took anything since. It tasted vile. I know some women carry on taking vitamins tho. Personally i wouldnt bother.

I am not sure about policies but I've been taking Pregnacare (which contains recommended dose of folic acid) for the last 10-11 months. My MW said that it was fine to keep on taking it even after the 12th week. Pregnacare is also recommended while breastfeeding so I probably won't stop taking it for a while.
I am not sure how helpful this was...
On completely different note, where in Bulgaria are you?

Thanks for the replies -Yes my gynacologist here prescribes Centrum Materna which I am sure is available in the UK it is similar in content to Pregnacare. Like you I am not sure of the use of it but since I don't believe it will do any harm I still take it. Only trouble is, I seem to be taking so many blinking pills now which is not what I wanted. I take this plus the BP tablets plus the pain killers with codeine for SPD plus the antacids. The Dr says these are all ok but I will have to stop the codeine at least 2 weeks before the birth. Though I am far from an earth mother and I really don't believe in anyone suffering unecessary pain and discomfort if it can possibly be avoided I am wondering if I should be on so many different tablets. I am worried about the pain killers but feel I need them for the journey back to the Uk on 16th July - Am dreading getting on the plane and the bus and travelling in the car. The pain is sooo bad.

I live on a mountain in the Balkan Mountain range close to the town of Elena 49km from Veliko Turnovo. Pretty isolated but peaceful and very pretty. Hot here though - Can't bear the 40 degree heat at the moment!

Yeah, I never liked taking too many pills either but if you are suffering what else can you do? Also, although I don't suffer from SPD I came back from Serbia two weeks ago and it wasn't funny at all! 3 hours in the car to the airport in Belgrade, then 3 hours on the plane and then 2 hours on the bus to Cheltenham - I survived but certanly wouldn't want to do it again while pregnant! And people at Heathrow were so rude! They were getting annoyed with me because I was slow and just kept pushing me?! GRRRR
I asked about Bulgaria because I am from Serbia and know Bulgaria pretty well. I must say that I envy you for where you live!

Hi Marijana

God was it really that bad the travelling? I too have 3 hours on bus to the airport in Sofia then 3 hours on the plane. Luckily not too bad the other end only half an hour from Luton to Welwyn but have to go to Stvenage on route to pick up keys to our apartment. I am really dreading it. People can be so insenisitive - pushing you indeed - if they do this to me I shall just threaten to sit on them! that should be enough to put a bat up their nighties! :D.

We are coming back by car which might be even worse with a newborn and possibly a section wound. Might travel via Serbia actually, just looking at the map today and wondering which is the best way to go. Yes it is very beautiful in Eastern Europe - but don't tell everyone - it's our little secret. I love our life here. My daughter loves her school and friends and my husband loves being semi retired aged 37. :wink: I just didn't like the hospitals here thats all but it is hardly the fault of the Bulgarians - lack of funds, no resources and low paid demoralised staff - same old story. :?

Your due the same time as me actually - hope all goes well for you.
Vicki

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back